Friedman: Preds only untouchables are Josi, Ellis and Rinne

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Rinne is 38 and UFA. how big of a future does he have left? Saros clearing going to be protected over Rinne because hes UFA and Askarov is the future.
Doesnt seem like you understand what untouchable means. Rinne is 150% not untouchable. they may like him but again if Nashville was approached for fair offer and Rinne accepted the trade. I seriously doubt Nashville would pass on pulling the trigger
You don't know David Poile to well then. If David Poile says he is untouchable then he is. The only way Rinne is traded is if he tells Poile he wants to be. It is completely in Pekka's hands.

It's no different than what he did with Mike Fisher. He stated publicly that he would give him a contract as long as he wanted to play and he did exactly that.

Rinne isn't going anywhere unless he wants to go somewhere, so no matter what the reasons are as far as Poile is concerned he is untouchable. He essentially put him on that list just so everyone knows up front not to bother. Saves him time and other GM's time as well.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You don't know David Poile to well then. If David Poile says he is untouchable then he is. The only way Rinne is traded is if he tells Poile he wants to be. It is completely in Pekka's hands.

It's no different than what he did with Mike Fisher. He stated publicly that he would give him a contract as long as he wanted to play and he did exactly that.

Rinne isn't going anywhere unless he wants to go somewhere, so no matter what the reasons are as far as Poile is concerned he is untouchable. He essentially put him on that list just so everyone knows up front not to bother. Saves him time and other GM's time as well.
If that's what untouchable means to you then sure to each it's own. I view untouchable players as basically I dont care what you offer I'm not accepting.
I dont see Rinne viewed like that by anymore not even Poile. just because Rinne wont accept a trade doesnt make him untouchable.
Question.... Are the Preds going to build around Rinne still? if the answer is no... He's not untouchable

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I literally just said he doesn't have a future with the team. We're not going to force a trade for like a 6th or 7th round pick. We'll let him retire as only a Pred and franchise icon. They probably already asked him if he wanted to be traded or if he would accept a trade. He probably said no and that was the end of the discussion.
I don't see how that's untouchable to the team...
saying he probably sad no is just speculation. and right there... If there was a deal on the table and Rinne shut it down. it doesnt mean he's untouchable. Player has the right to not waive his NTC but that no way shape or form means he's untouchable to the team. they can say whatever they want to the press. Rinne does not have a strong future with the team. In other words he's not untouchable. I would view someone like Askarov being untouchable

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
To me, "untouchable" regarding Rinne means that he has told he's not going to accept any deal and wants to retire as a Pred.

Deep down everyone and everything has a price, so ultimately no one is truly truly untouchable, so what's the deal arguing about semantics?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I don't see how that's untouchable to the team...
saying he probably sad no is just speculation. and right there... If there was a deal on the table and Rinne shut it down. it doesnt mean he's untouchable. Player has the right to not waive his NTC but that no way shape or form means he's untouchable to the team. they can say whatever they want to the press. Rinne does not have a strong future with the team. In other words he's not untouchable. I would view someone like Askarov being untouchable
You are correct about Asharov but your wrong about Poile. Unless Rinne buys off on any move he will retire here. Poile over the years has been painfully loyal to players. He once made a statement that he would match any offer sheet that Shea Weber got and unfortunately he did. He has stood by countless sorry players thru the years, gave 2nd and 3rd chances to guys who would have been removed from most any other NHL team. Riberio, the Koystin brothers, Radulov, Tootoo, Watson. He has signed washed up guys to there last contract countless bottom pair pylons, Chris Mason, Scott Hartnell, Dan Hamhus the latter three because they were once Preds and he felt they somehow could erase the years and return to usefullness. SO if Poile says this player or that player is untouchable you better believe Elliot Ness would think so.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Untouchable means a team would not move said player if given the chance. I bet if a team came to Nashville with a fair offer for Rinne and Rinne Accepted the trade. it would happen... there for he's not untouchable... I don't think you really understand what untouchable means, it's really not that complicated.
Nashville would not move Rinne if given the chance. If a team came to Nashville with a fair offer for Rinne (what's that, a 4th round pick? a 3rd round pick?), it still would not happen. Therefore he is untouchable. You're right... it's really not that complicated. And yet... :help:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
What might the ask on Jarnkrok be?
I would make him available just as a means of "shaking up the core". He's a "buddy" to the core players, without being a core player himself, and I think moving him could shake up the room a little bit. Has nothing to do with his value as a player though... he still always finds a way to contribute and play well for us, up and down the lineup, at any position. I can't fault Jarnkrok in any way as a player, and he has a very attractive cap hit for what he does.

But yeah, the "2nd rounder" ballpark is fair, if it was for futures. I would also consider a sideways-looking deal of him for some other younger player with some perceived upside who just needs a change of scenery. Jarnkrok is safer and pretty much risk-free, but in that scenario it's really just the shakeup value that I'd be looking at for us. Bonus if the change-of-scenery player ever became as good as Jarnkrok.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I would make him available just as a means of "shaking up the core". He's a "buddy" to the core players, without being a core player himself, and I think moving him could shake up the room a little bit. Has nothing to do with his value as a player though... he still always finds a way to contribute and play well for us, up and down the lineup, at any position. I can't fault Jarnkrok in any way as a player, and he has a very attractive cap hit for what he does.

But yeah, the "2nd rounder" ballpark is fair, if it was for futures. I would also consider a sideways-looking deal of him for some other younger player with some perceived upside who just needs a change of scenery. Jarnkrok is safer and pretty much risk-free, but in that scenario it's really just the shakeup value that I'd be looking at for us. Bonus if the change-of-scenery player ever became as good as Jarnkrok.
I wouldn't trade Jarnkrok for a draft pick. He's cheap and the chance of a late 2nd round pick being a better player isn't worth the risk.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Jarnkrok is a good, versatile player on a cheap contract. I think he's worth more than people think. Look at what Blake Coleman got, I'm not saying Jarnkrok is worth that, but I definitely don't think he's only worth a 2nd either. Goodrow and a 3rd pulled a 1st rounder. For a team similar to the Bolts that are right at the cap and firmly in their window, Jarnkrok would be very valuable.

Last edited:

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Jarnkrok can't do anything close to carry a line, but if you had to elevate a guy into a random top 6 winger position then you could do far worse than him for 6-8 games. I think teams value that, as well as his penalty killing, and defensive game. I think his value is probably higher than people would think.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You are correct about Asharov but your wrong about Poile. Unless Rinne buys off on any move he will retire here. Poile over the years has been painfully loyal to players. He once made a statement that he would match any offer sheet that Shea Weber got and unfortunately he did. He has stood by countless sorry players thru the years, gave 2nd and 3rd chances to guys who would have been removed from most any other NHL team. Riberio, the Koystin brothers, Radulov, Tootoo, Watson. He has signed washed up guys to there last contract countless bottom pair pylons, Chris Mason, Scott Hartnell, Dan Hamhus the latter three because they were once Preds and he felt they somehow could erase the years and return to usefullness. SO if Poile says this player or that player is untouchable you better believe Elliot Ness would think so.
I see where u guys are coming from. to me untouchable just means will not accept a trade unless it's unreasonable overpayment. I have a hard time believing that Rinne is really legitimately untouchable to the team. at this point I feel like if Pittsburgh got an unreasonable high offer for Crosby they would have to strongly consider it before rejecting if they rejected at all.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I see where u guys are coming from. to me untouchable just means will not accept a trade unless it's unreasonable overpayment. I have a hard time believing that Rinne is really legitimately untouchable to the team. at this point I feel like if Pittsburgh got an unreasonable high offer for Crosby they would have to strongly consider it before rejecting if they rejected at all.
It doesn't really matter what your personal definition of "untouchable" is, though. All that matters is Poile's... and that has been expressed here.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldn't trade Jarnkrok for a draft pick. He's cheap and the chance of a late 2nd round pick being a better player isn't worth the risk.
In a "normal" situation where our team was playing up to expectations and players weren't underperforming, I would agree with this. Jankrok would be worth more to our team, as a verstatile playoff performer, than a 2nd round pick.

I only depart from that in the situation where it seems like we have many players underperforming, and we clearly aren't going to make the playoffs, and he's clearly going to be exposed to Seattle, and therefore I wouldn't mind taking a chance at "busting up the country club" in our core by trading one of their buddies away. In this scenario, I would go ahead and take a 2nd for Jarnkrok. We shouldn't be in this scenario... but... here we are. :(

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
In a "normal" situation where our team was playing up to expectations and players weren't underperforming, I would agree with this. Jankrok would be worth more to our team, as a verstatile playoff performer, than a 2nd round pick.

I only depart from that in the situation where it seems like we have many players underperforming, and we clearly aren't going to make the playoffs, and he's clearly going to be exposed to Seattle, and therefore I wouldn't mind taking a chance at "busting up the country club" in our core by trading one of their buddies away. In this scenario, I would go ahead and take a 2nd for Jarnkrok. We shouldn't be in this scenario... but... here we are. :(
Yeah but there's a list of guys I'd put ahead of him to trade. He's preforming better than most of our forwards, and he's cheap. He's a smart player and will be good to have around the younger guys. I don't trade him.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah but there's a list of guys I'd put ahead of him to trade. He's preforming better than most of our forwards, and he's cheap. He's a smart player and will be good to have around the younger guys. I don't trade him.
Well I would trade Granlund, Haula, Richardson, and Cousins ahead of him, sure. But then next up is Jarnkrok. Only because of the irregular conditions I already mentioned, though.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
It doesn't really matter what your personal definition of "untouchable" is, though. All that matters is Poile's... and that has been expressed here.
Not really a personal definition. Thats what untouchable is. If you guys choose to believe otherwise then sure. Iv seen where a GM says one thing and couple weeks later and the complete opposite happens. Rinne is not untouchable. it;s pretty hilarious that people actually believe that Rinne who is UFA is untouchable.
He can leave as a free agent or just straight up retire. but yet he's untouchable. yeeeah sure. I bet if a team comes knocking on their door with a 1st + roster player + goalie Poile comes asking Rinne to waive his clause.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not really a personal definition. Thats what untouchable is. If you guys choose to believe otherwise then sure. Iv seen where a GM says one thing and couple weeks later and the complete opposite happens. Rinne is not untouchable. it;s pretty hilarious that people actually believe that Rinne who is UFA is untouchable.
He can leave as a free agent or just straight up retire. but yet he's untouchable. yeeeah sure. I bet if a team comes knocking on their door with a 1st + roster player + goalie Poile comes asking Rinne to waive his clause.
Ok, dude, you just watch and see if he gets "touched" then. Good luck with that.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You think there are teams lining up to offer a 1st + roster player + goalie for a Rinne with half a season left on his contract? Most Preds fans will be happy to admit that "untouchable" is being used incorrectly in that scenario, but nobody will hear it since we'll all be laughing hysterically at the GM stupid enough to offer that.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Ok, dude, you just watch and see if he gets "touched" then. Good luck with that.
Just because someone doesnt trade them doesnt mean they are untouchable.
Untouchable means If I were to make a major offer you would still reject because they are untouchable.
I dont see that with Rinne. you can get upset about it all you want. 38 Year Old Rinne is not untouchable to Nashville anymore. that ship has sailed. They may let him finish his contract or retire in Nashville but again that doesnt make him untouchable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad