Friedman: Preds only untouchables are Josi, Ellis and Rinne

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You think there are teams lining up to offer a 1st + roster player + goalie for a Rinne with half a season left on his contract? Most Preds fans will be happy to admit that "untouchable" is being used incorrectly in that scenario, but nobody will hear it since we'll all be laughing hysterically at the GM stupid enough to offer that.
I was using that as an example. either way if you would consider moving Rinne for that I guess he's not untouchable is he?

Untouchable means you will not entertain offers and even big overpayments will likely be rejected.
Should Rinne be placed in that category?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Not a chance. Would keep Jarnkrok-->Grimaldi-->Sissons.
Sissons > Jarnkrok > Grimaldi for me. Although I am ok with all of them, in their way. But I suspect that Sissons' contract makes him untradeable (for any acceptable return), and that Grimaldi's size makes him untradeable (similarly), and so if we are talking trades, then Jarnkrok is the only one of them we could actually practically-speaking trade.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I was using that as an example. either way if you would consider moving Rinne for that I guess he's not untouchable is he?

Untouchable means you will not entertain offers and even big overpayments will likely be rejected.
You just have a different definition of "untouchable" than the rest of the world, that's all. Get it through your skull.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

I wouldn't, but clearly my definition of untouchable differs from Poile's or Friedman's. Since I understand why he's not going to be traded, I'm not really bothered by it.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Haula @50% for a 4th and a 5th
Sold. Possibly even for just the 4th.

Although I will say the last couple games, Haula has been playing a lot better for us. It feels like maybe he has accepted his role a little more... he's not getting juggled into a scoring role, but now he's ok with that, and he has been doing really well on the PK lately, and his couple SH breakaways and the last couple goals he got illustrate that he can "chip in" without being used as go-to player. If he kept this up the rest of the way, I'd start to think about sneaking the pricetag up a bit. Just not sure if he'll really keep it up yet. :dunno:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Sold. Possibly even for just the 4th.

Although I will say the last couple games, Haula has been playing a lot better for us. It feels like maybe he has accepted his role a little more... he's not getting juggled into a scoring role, but now he's ok with that, and he has been doing really well on the PK lately, and his couple SH breakaways and the last couple goals he got illustrate that he can "chip in" without being used as go-to player. If he kept this up the rest of the way, I'd start to think about sneaking the pricetag up a bit. Just not sure if he'll really keep it up yet. :dunno:

Why is Hynes playing Cousins on the PP over Haula? I'm beginning to see part of the problem...

Haula doesn't exactly relish the idea of being thought of as a bottom 6 defensive winger, despite his reputation as a 2-way guy.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Why is Hynes playing Cousins on the PP over Haula? I'm beginning to see part of the problem...

Haula doesn't exactly relish the idea of being thought of as a bottom 6 defensive winger, despite his reputation as a 2-way guy.
It's weird, Cousins was somehow maybe a little more ready than other players were during the abbreviated training camp, and somehow as a result he put up some points and stood out a little during our scrimmages in training camp. And then it just seemed like suddenly there was this thought that maybe Cousins had "untapped" scoring potential or skill, and that he could play a higher role than originally envisioned. And he is "dirty" enough to try to go to the front of the net sometimes, which has been a big problem for us for a while. Somehow it all snowballed into Cousins getting more of an opportunity than he really deserved. He's ok as a 4th line agitator. But Hynes. Somehow wires got crossed.

I don't actually like Haula so far yet either, mind you, I don't know what he's capable of, I guess. But lately he has definitely seemed to embrace the bottom-6 PK forward role more than previously, and had success with it. I would still rather just play one of our prospects. But he is just starting to make a case as a more useful player, so maybe I have been overly harsh on him to date.

Everything for our whole team is just hard to parse out with the weird coaching, though.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You just have a different definition of "untouchable" than the rest of the world, that's all. Get it through your skull.
He's not an untouchable this is a we won’t trade him because he’s Rinne type situation. doesnt make him an untouchable.
Untouchables are guys like your Star Players, Your Top Prospects, Your 1st if your a lottery team.
Things like these are untouchables. a 38 year old UFA Goalie is not. Legend or not

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
He's not an untouchable this is a we won’t trade him because he’s Rinne type situation. doesnt make him an untouchable.
Untouchables are guys like your Star Players, Your Top Prospects, Your 1st if your a lottery team.
Things like these are untouchables. a 38 year old UFA Goalie is not. Legend or not
:tmi:

:deadhorse

Yeah, you gave us your own personal definition several times already. Shall we charge up the hill again, one more time for old time's sake? :thumbu:

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

So what are you offering for him if you're so adamant about him being untouchable. Your team would be interested in him right?

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
:tmi:

:deadhorse

Yeah, you gave us your own personal definition several times already. Shall we charge up the hill again, one more time for old time's sake? :thumbu:
funny how you view this as a personal thing. I feel sorry for you if you actually believe Rinne is untouchable to the predators at this point in his career. he may not be moved because of who he is. but his career as a Predator could be over after this season, sounds far from being untouchable lmao

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Boy, some people REALLY don't have much going on, huh? Hanging around here talking about players and discussing games, that I understand, it's a hockey board after all... But this? Really inexplicable to me.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Show me a team that would offer that and then I'll play along.
Thats not the point. Let's say that is available. if you were the GM and didnt need Rinne's permission to trade him. WOULD you accept it?
If the answer is Yes..... He's not untouchable I mean REAL untouchable
He's untouchable BECAUSE he's Pekka Rinne. He's not a REAL untouchable.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Thats not the point. Let's say that is available. if you were the GM and didnt need Rinne's permission to trade him. WOULD you accept it?
If the answer is Yes..... He's not untouchable I mean REAL untouchable
He's untouchable BECAUSE he's Pekka Rinne. He's not a REAL untouchable.
Dude let it go. Rinne will retire a Pred. That’s all, move on

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Dude let it go. Rinne will retire a Pred. That’s all, move on
I never said he was going to be moved..... what I said was he’s not a real untouchable to the team

if he retires after this season how is he untouchable to the team? He just won’t get moved cause who he is
That’s not a real untouchable but hey you can choose to believe he is

I bet if a team offered a 1st ++ not many would be behind rejecting

or am I wrong there too?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->