Friedman: Preds only untouchables are Josi, Ellis and Rinne

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
FYI Trotz was not a Forsberg fan when he was in Nashville.
Are you referring to him being sent to Milwaukee or something more? I remember a player that was talented but not quite ready to be a consistent contributor who came back the next season as a more impactful and complete player. No qualms about that decision here. I doubt Trotz would have any issues with him.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Only issue Trotz had with Forsberg was that he thought he needed to work on his defensive game so he would be more well rounded. I seriously doubt he would have an issue with him now.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Until Askarov is ready, Rinne is still important to the Preds
Saros leaves too much net to shoot into & the league seems to have finally figured out Saros.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
didnt know that. What about Ardvisson?
Are you referring to him being sent to Milwaukee or something more? I remember a player that was talented but not quite ready to be a consistent contributor who came back the next season as a more impactful and complete player. No qualms about that decision here. I doubt Trotz would have any issues with him.
I may have confused FF with Ekholm as I think about it. I remember Trotz said one of them was horrible and would never play in the NHL much.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I may have confused FF with Ekholm as I think about it. I remember Trotz said one of them was horrible and would never play in the NHL much.
I think it was Ekholm who he specifically called out at one point early on, and he only really played one full season under Trotz. I know there was a lot of criticism of Trotz for being responsible for sending Forsberg back to Milwaukee his first year here, but I think hindsight (and a tempering of fans' attitudes toward Trotz) has shown that to be a beneficial move.

Reactions: Gnashville

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
Agree with many Preds followers saying FF9 is not really seriously on offer. The guy might be the ONLY player to rely on being productive post season. Period. There are quite a few pieces that could be in play based on term/contract.
Count me in with those saying Hynes is not the right coach for this roster. Question is, can you reload on the fly and not blow it up with him behidn the bench? So far nothing to suggest it would work. I know this has been a weird couple of years, and we have an expansion draft to think about also. Could hardly think of a worse time to need this restructuring.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Make an offer!

Just depends on the amount of retention, I guess. Generally: "free to a good home". But I don't want to give up any decent pick to move him or anything like that.
Honestly I have no idea what his value would be as it's hard to know how negative that caphit is versus his value as a player.

AVs could offer

Graves + Compher + Donskoi

for

Johansen (no retention)
Interesting suggestion. Think some retention would be desireable though, especially for the 2023/24 season when Mackinnon and Byram will get raises.

Why do you want Johansen? Mac - Kadri is a pretty good pairing.
Avs need a middle 6 C, either a 3C or a 2C to push Kadri down. A 2C would put the team over the top more than a 3C would.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Why do you want Johansen? Mac - Kadri is a pretty good pairing.

Mack is going nowhere. Kadri will be a UFA in a few years, but future is unknown with his current struggles. Newhook is likely in the AHL or 3C/4C next season.

AVs need either a 2C/3C. Johansen would fill an important need after Mack and shift the other players into better roles.

Mack
Johansem
Kadri
Newhook

Reactions: Richard88

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
Mack is going nowhere. Kadri will be a UFA in a few years, but future is unknown with his current struggles. Newhook is likely in the AHL or 3C/4C next season.

AVs need either a 2C/3C. Johansen would fill an important need after Mack and shift the other players into better roles.

Mack
Johansem
Kadri
Newhook

That makes sense.

I would heavily consider the Graves/Compher/Donskoi offer. The fact that there's no retention makes it very appealing.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
That makes sense.

I would heavily consider the Graves/Compher/Donskoi offer. The fact that there's no retention makes it very appealing.

Financial savings and flexibility heavily favours the Preds. Consider the contract numbers after this season:
  • Compher - $3.5M Cap @ 2 years ($8M owed)
  • Donskoi - $3.9M Cap @ 2 years ($7.8M owed)
  • Graves - $3.17M Cap @ 2 years ($8M owed)
$10.57M Cap @ 2 years ($23.8M owed)

vs​
  • Johnansen - $8M Cap @ 4 years ($32M owed)
AVs benefit in solidifying the 2C role with the hopes of a bounce back season. Kadri is a pending UFA after next season and not resigned the current $4.5M to reduce the $8.2M salary discrepancy.

Preds rid a difficult contract by obtaining 3 serviceable players that can easily be traded or allowed to finish their contracts 2 years sooner allowing much needed financial flexibility.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Financial savings and flexibility heavily favours the Preds. Consider the contract numbers after this season:
  • Compher - $3.5M Cap @ 2 years ($8M owed)
  • Donskoi - $3.9M Cap @ 2 years ($7.8M owed)
  • Graves - $3.17M Cap @ 2 years ($8M owed)
$10.57M Cap @ 2 years ($23.8M owed)

vs​
  • Johnansen - $8M Cap @ 4 years ($32M owed)
AVs benefit in solidifying the 2C role with the hopes of a bounce back season. Kadri is a pending UFA after next season and not resigned the current $4.5M to reduce the $8.2M salary discrepancy.

Preds rid a difficult contract by obtaining 3 serviceable players that can easily be traded or allowed to finish their contracts 2 years sooner allowing much needed financial flexibility.
Avs would be short of a 3rd line winger if they moved both Donskoi and Compher, with only Nichuskin, Calvert, and Jost (along with Kaut/Bowers but they're question marks still). How about including Jarnkrok or Granlund in the trade as well?

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Burakovsky ---- Johansen ----- Saad
Nichuskin -------- Kadri -------- Jarnkrok/Granlund
Calvert --------- Bellemare ----- Jost

Reactions: Patagonia

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Avs would be short of a 3rd line winger if they moved both Donskoi and Compher, with only Nichuskin, Calvert, and Jost (along with Kaut/Bowers but they're question marks still). How about including Jarnkrok or Granlund in the trade as well?

Landeskog ---- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Burakovsky ---- Johansen ----- Saad
Nichuskin -------- Kadri -------- Jarnkrok/Granlund
Calvert --------- Bellemare ----- Jost
I think granlund is too valuable to be included in that trade, preds would want to recoup some picks and prospects for him. Jarnkrok could probably be done. Would haula interest you? Don’t think we’d ask any additional assets for him

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I think granlund is too valuable to be included in that trade, preds would want to recoup some picks and prospects for him. Jarnkrok could probably be done. Would haula interest you? Don’t think we’d ask any additional assets for him
Jarnkrok would be fine. Or we could add a pick for Granlund. Doubt Haula would be of interest if we got Johansen as we'd have Kadri at 3C in that case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad