Friedman: Preds only untouchables are Josi, Ellis and Rinne

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
As one of your fellow fans was discussing with me, that is way out of our price range for a variety of reasons, I'm afraid. Future salaries all around alone would completely sewer this trade for two ELC top six forwards, not to mention the odds of our first being a lottery pick to boot. Thank you for the polite reply though.

Of course Vancouver would never pay that price. It would be suicide for them. That's why I think it's incredibly hard to acquire two players of that ability, in the same trade. The cost to your prospect pool and ELC contract pool is just to high... Those guys are too important in a cap era.

My buddy is a huge Canucks fan. I asked him tonight if he'd do Pearson and Podkolzin for Forsberg. He even cringed over that because of how cash strapped Vancouver is.

What do you think the chances are yoy guys would be willing to do a 2nd in 2021 and let's say a 3rd in 2022 to get a team like Ottawa to eat Eriksson so you can breathe financially?

Last edited:

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Just my $.02 but I think it's a bit silly to call for Nashville to basically go for a "scorched earth" rebuild... what was the last team to do that successfully, Washington in 04? (And they wound up having a generational goal scorer/all time great to build around)

Better to do it more like the Rangers imo. Yes, they sold aggressively, but they also retained pieces like Hayes to sell off later. There's no law that you have to sell every valuable piece *right now*, and you can hang on to a guy like Josi to insulate/mentor the kids... I mean, I get the argument that you can theoretically get a haul for them, but realistically, most trade scenarios involve playoff teams & contenders dealing low firsts and B prospects

In fact, I'd argue the primary purpose to sell off prime assets is to bottom out, with the hope that throwing a few extra darts at the draft board pan out. Not a guarantee though

And given Nashville seems to be bottoming out *with* these players, I'm just not sure an "everything must go" fire sale is entirely compelling

Sorry for the rant, I just see that argument a lot here and it can rub me the wrong way. There's more to rebuilding than just accumulating as many shiny pieces as possible imo
I think this is more of a motivating tactic. It’s a “Get your ass in gear or you might be gone” move, which is an indictment on the coach. They might listen to offers on Forsberg, but I think it would require a hefty price to get the conversation started.

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Its interesting to see that Forsberg might be available. I guess its because FF9 doesnt have that much left on his contract. I assume if there is a team out there ready ship thier future for a win now trade, it might be done.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Sort of hoped to see Rinne as veteran backup for the possible playoffs in Washington (for both reasons, Caps need one and Rinne to have a chance to participate in playoffs), but gotta respect that they wont sell their soul for some lowly draft picks. We need more loyalty in todays sports.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Nashville might do better holding on to Ekholm until after expansion draft. How many teams would give top dollar for Ekholm AND expose an extra D in expansion?

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
I would love foresberg on the leafs but Nylander would have to be part of the deal due to cap reasons .

I’m not sure if Nylander is somthing the preads would be interested in

Nylander , Liljegren , Alex kerfoot + 1st round pick 2021, second round pick 2022

for
Forsberg + granlund

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I haven't read all 15 pages, but I have two thoughts regarding Ellis and Forsberg.

1. Ellis: I'd speculate that the reason he is not available is because he is a competent humble guy. Throughout his entire career he has been known as a leader. It's possible that managment would want to keep that leadership ability for the locker room if they were to blow up the team and get younger.

2. Forsberg is only 26 and in his prime. I suspect Poile would field calls for him, but trading him would be an admission of tearing it down and starting over. Because of that, don't think similar age, or older, players with big contracts would be enticing. Hopefully, the least acceptable offer would be a 1st + highly touted young prospect/player that is thought to have a strong chance to at least reach the level Forsberg is at now.

Reactions: ArtemisIncarnate

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Lately was about 3 years or so back, but I don't have the exact dates for some of the defenders I mentioned in front of me I'm afraid.

And yes, contracts will likely be lower than market value, but in a case like Ekholm, I'd still expect it to go up from his way below market value contract as of now.
its not happening their just isn't money available at this time, from every team even the leafs cant no cap space, and the market just isn't there right now with no revenues available

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
I would love foresberg on the leafs but Nylander would have to be part of the deal due to cap reasons .

Nylander , Liljegren , Alex kerfoot + 1st round pick 2021, second round pick 2022

for
Forsberg + granlund
are you nuts from the leafs point of view, i like forsberg but not that much, and granlund i have already said i don't like the player so who would even suggest that offer, your nuts

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario

for
Forsberg + granlund
what the hell

Nylander is worth more than Forsberg so this is basically a very very hefty Granlund deal.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I'll suggest it again since no one yelled at me a few pages ago.

Ekholm for Mantha. Straight up.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
What is it with teams becoming really poor when Duchene arrives? What is it about the guy..

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm a visual person. Here's how I see the Preds' "yard Sale"

upload_2021-2-22_22-5-59.png

Make a good offer because the Preds could trade for someone else, AND they can wait for Seattle. They will have picks, cap, and a need for players. Not like the picks they have are getting any worse.

Also, other teams might jump you. I KNOW Pittsburgh would be sniffing around Forsberg.

Johansen back tomorrow, Ekholm Saturday

BTW: the Preds CAN eat some cap BUT it's a limited resource. The sooner the better.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad