Friedman: Preds only untouchables are Josi, Ellis and Rinne

Crow

May 19, 2014
Doubt anyone wants rinne anyway. Best let him retire there for his years of decent and very long service I guess.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Not the direction we should be going if we move Ekholm.

Now hold on there, if we can get Mantha for Ekholm straight up, I'd do it. Even if the return is not picks and prospects (which are never proven) we are getting back a relatively young power forward, which our offense desperately needs. Mantha's also under contract for the next four years so we control.

This Preds fan would do that deal.

Reactions: Bevans

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Not the direction we should be going if we move Ekholm.

I think moving toward a young guy who can take a one-timer may be one of the single most important moves Nashville could make.

Their powerplay is deeply flawed without a trigger man. Forsberg and Arvidsson's games are designed around taking wristers in motion. Very hard to run a powerplay like that.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
It would be kind of crazy to me to see Poile tear anything down before 1. another coaching change or 2. a big attempt at a "jolt" trade.

When it comes to the current iteration of the Preds, I think alot about the Penguins from 2014-16, where Rutherford came in and hired Mike Johnston after years of malaise. At first everything went great, and the team was lighting it up offensively. Then by January 2015 the team was suddenly off the boil, had fallen in the standings, and looked more inept and slow than ever. Johnston was JR's pick as coach, but he didnt hesitate to can him 18 months later in December 2015 with the team middling and looking like it's "Cup Window" was completely done, because he clearly was not the right guy. Then he promoted Mike Sullivan to give the team some identity. And the rest is history.

I know that's an extreme example, and I'm not saying John Hynes is the root of all problems in Nashville. But the guy hasn't been impressive at the NHL level and to me there are other HCs out there that might be good for a struggling team.

That said, I dont think a big-fish-for-big-fish kind of trade would hurt either. I wonder if Calgary would make a good partner, considering they're both in this "mushy middle" caught between needing to make changes, and mere under-performance. Either way, before pulling the plug completely I think both teams would benefit from the kind of shakeup that comes from moving a major name.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would love to make a trade with Calgary along the lines of Joey/Duchene for Monahan. They want a change. We want a change. I don't even think Monahan is all that great. But all of those players are better than they are currently showing. It would be a good old fashioned shakeup trade. All the players involved might benefit. I also like Bennett. If it was an even bigger trade and we sent somebody else and got him, that would be intriguing to me. I like the idea of trading with Calgary, not in a "tanking" type of trade like everybody is talking about now, but instead a "shakeup" trade. Duchene and Jarnkrok for Monahan and Bennett. Something like that.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Now hold on there, if we can get Mantha for Ekholm straight up, I'd do it. Even if the return is not picks and prospects (which are never proven) we are getting back a relatively young power forward, which our offense desperately needs. Mantha's also under contract for the next four years so we control.

This Preds fan would do that deal.

It doesn't make us contenders. It just makes us different. It's a pointless move.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Also, other teams might jump you. I KNOW Pittsburgh would be sniffing around Forsberg.

We Pens fans know that he should have been drafted by our management when we had the chance but now, unless Poile is feeling incredibly charitable, I'm not sure our team will be willing or able to give up what it would likely take to land FF. I would see it as a put-all-your-eggs-in-one-basket type of move and I just don't think FF puts us over the top as a legitimate Cup contender for the next year or two.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
It doesn't make us contenders. It just makes us different. It's a pointless move.

True. But gives us an valuable asset that we have control over. In a lot of ways that’s a better return than a bunch of picks and prospects that may or may not turn into something.

Reactions: Bevans

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
True. But gives us an valuable asset that we have control over. In a lot of ways that’s a better return than a bunch of picks and prospects that may or may not turn into something.

That's what Ekholm is too. Granted Mantha is younger and controlled longer but if Mantha doesn't make us contenders (he won't) then we're going to be trading him anyways and we'd be getting picks and prospects in return. It's a pointless move that just kicks the can down the road and prevents us from doing what we should be doing.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

Seems like you think that Mantha is just his last 15 games, in a shortened unique season after he didn't play for 9 months.

If you'd prefer a complete teardown of a team that still has a lot of competitive guys on good contracts then I can see why you wouldn't be a fan of adding Mantha. These guys don't need a 5+ year rebuild. In my mind, they need a good coach, a center, and a trigger man.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I would love to make a trade with Calgary along the lines of Joey/Duchene for Monahan. They want a change. We want a change. I don't even think Monahan is all that great. But all of those players are better than they are currently showing. It would be a good old fashioned shakeup trade. All the players involved might benefit. I also like Bennett. If it was an even bigger trade and we sent somebody else and got him, that would be intriguing to me. I like the idea of trading with Calgary, not in a "tanking" type of trade like everybody is talking about now, but instead a "shakeup" trade. Duchene and Jarnkrok for Monahan and Bennett. Something like that.

Duchene has borderline negative value. No one is going to pay for the privilege of that contract. If he can't live up to it at 30, not many teams are going to want to pay it at 35.

Reactions: Tripod

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Seems like you think that Mantha is just his last 15 games, in a shortened unique season after he didn't play for 9 months.

If you'd prefer a complete teardown of a team that still has a lot of competitive guys on good contracts then I can see why you wouldn't be a fan of adding Mantha. These guys don't need a 5+ year rebuild. In my mind, they need a good coach, a center, and a trigger man.

I’m more at this camp as well. Changing a coach is the first step, bringing in young, hungry guys is second. Tweaking around the current core, like trading Ekholm for Mantha is the third step.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Duchene has borderline negative value. No one is going to pay for the privilege of that contract. If he can't live up to it at 30, not many teams are going to want to pay it at 35.
Oh, he has completely negative value, no mistake. But in the most Desperate times, if you only have 1 dance partner, like a Lucic-Neal trade, sometimes you find a way out. Hail Mary.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Oh, he has completely negative value, no mistake. But in the most Desperate times, if you only have 1 dance partner, like a Lucic-Neal trade, sometimes you find a way out. Hail Mary.

Alright, then we can pretend you didn't just try to trade him for Monahan and Bennett. Neither of whom have negative value.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
What's Fabbro worth?
Canucks could be interested

More than Gaudette, who has been offered for him several times.

I'd wager a similar young player with plenty of upside still untapped. Fabbro has been on our 2nd pairing since his debut pretty much, and has had his ups and downs but he mostly hasn't looked out of place.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Doubt anyone wants rinne anyway. Best let him retire there for his years of decent and very long service I guess.
Hawks fan still bitter about Preds sweeping them and starting their downfall into no playoffs lol. Rinne was more than decent. Period.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
More than Gaudette, who has been offered for him several times.

I'd wager a similar young player with plenty of upside still untapped. Fabbro has been on our 2nd pairing since his debut pretty much, and has had his ups and downs but he mostly hasn't looked out of place.
I'd say 8 goals 7 of those at even strength for a defensemen in his first 85 games is pretty good.

Crow

May 19, 2014
Hawks fan still bitter about Preds sweeping them and starting their downfall into no playoffs lol. Rinne was more than decent. Period.
As a hawks fan, I never had any fear of rinne stealing a series. Congrats on winning that one series, but the hawks demise was always coming at some point after all the success.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
If those are the only untouchables I’d imagine there’s a ton of interest in Forsberg

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
As a hawks fan, I never had any fear of rinne stealing a series. Congrats on winning that one series, but the hawks demise was always coming at some point after all the success.
More than once we beat ya out ;)

Bond

May 10, 2012
Lol. Even if you don't think Monahan is great, that trade a is steal for the Predators. Nowhere close to Lucic for Neal. It would be like Neal for Nugent-Hopkins or something haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad