Friedman: Preds only untouchables are Josi, Ellis and Rinne

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Vancouver wants the home boy Fabbro. Our ?GM sucks old socks, but if we get a good one he (or she; don’t care the gender as long as they are good.) offers Hoglander and our 2021 second.
Fabbro for Hoglander and 2021 #2.
I would still pass. Hoglander has great skill and your 2nd is probably gonna be real high. So I don't dismiss the value of the offer in any way. Rather, I just think that Fabbro is THAT good. You are making a great offer. But I don't think many people outside Nashville really know how good Fabbro is. :dunno:

Reactions: Luckylarry

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Bah, Paul Karita played 2 seasons for us on mediocre teams. Forsberg still means far more to the franchise. It's not even close.
That's not what you said, you said he was a better player, he wasn't. But for the record, that team was a 106 point team and 3rd in the west. It was a good team, and Kariya finished with 85 points that season.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
That's not what you said, you said he was a better player, he wasn't. But for the record, that team was a 106 point team and 3rd in the west. It was a good team, and Kariya finished with 85 points that season.
I still like Forsberg better. He'd get 90 points if he was on a good team that used 1st line forwards properly.

Reactions: triggrman

Mtler in Toronto

Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
In a normal year, a team with a goalie injury or some goalie depth issues would still pay a late-round pick for Rinne as an insurance policy. He's still an NHL-calibre goalie, albeit not a starter. He whiffs on some pucks he should have. But is still a Vezina-winner who can mind the gap. But there is no way the Preds take a 4th or 5th round pick or whatever Rinne is worth. Just let him retire as a career-Pred with his jersey # retired and hoisted to the rafters, let him get into the hockey ops dept. if he wants to, any of that stuff is far more valuable than that late-round draft pick. He can still also perform adequately to be our backup goalie next season. There is no reason to take a market-value trade for Pekka Rinne for the Preds. That makes him "untouchable". Do you want to trade a 1st-round pick for Pekka Rinne? No, you don't. But that's the value it would take to beat out his organizational "legend" value. That's why they said he's "untouchable"

True. This is a good post.
A little long though

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Josi and Ellis check out. Rinne, though... he's coming off a sub .900 season and will be 39-next season. Has Sarros been that underwhelming?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Slightly surprised Rinne is still on here and Forsberg isn't (though maybe a #1 wing can acquire a #1 C, or Ekholm can be added for that?).

Btw, what's the asking price for each of the following if the other players are available?
- Erik Haula
- Colton Sissons
- Calle Jarnkrok
- Yakov Trenin

Interested in these players for Vancouver.
Haula... a 3rd round pick would do. Or later if that's not available. He is not useful to us. We won't retain for this level of lesser pick, though.

Sissons... ehh... he's not "special", but he's a hard-working physical bottom-6 player... I know we signed him to premium term based on a good season and a lot of projection... he's not "untouchable" by any stretch. But he fits a role. And we don't really have any other player who fits that role any better. I wouldn't trade him for just a pick. It would take some larger and more complex scenario.

Jarnkrok is a good player. But he's also a buddy of some good players who we might want to send a message to, and he's also more of a "versatile utility player" than a really core player. I would trade him for a 2nd-ish return, just to send that message. But he's also cheap and useful, and I wouldn't sell him TOO cheaply just for that sake.

I like Trenin. He's a tank. The Preds aren't using him as much as I think they should. I don't think he has high offensive upside, though. He's a bit of a lumbering player who can bang and chip in, but I doubt he'll ever produce more than, say, Austin Watson did for us. I doubt there are any magic beans here. But you'll still like him. I wouldn't be inclined to trade him, just play him a little more.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I like both Monahan and Bennett. So I'm biased. Arvidsson is also my favorite player. But even still.... it sounds pretty good to me... especially of you make it Haula in there, since I have no use whatsoever for that guy.
Love to hear it. I think Calgary and Nashville are great trading partners rn cause both teams desperately need a shake-up and have some valuable pieces. Getting Arvidsson as a true RH RW on a good contract would be sick and Monahan would be a nice upgrade to ur scoring depth

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Love to hear it. I think Calgary and Nashville are great trading partners rn cause both teams desperately need a shake-up and have some valuable pieces. Getting Arvidsson as a true RH RW on a good contract would be sick and Monahan would be a nice upgrade to ur scoring depth
Monahan feels a bit like Ryan Johansen to me, and it would cramp our style to make room for him, but tbh I don't even know why Duchene is a center for us... he WANTS to be a center, I guess, but I don't see anything he does that screams out to me that he should be. So in that sense, I don't feel that we're necessarily totally logjammed at center that we can't accommodate Monahan. Management may feel much differently than I do, of course.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That part of it is fair. If you are only looking at him as a 1.5 season player, no reason to offer big on him. I'm looking at him as the best forward our franchise has ever had, and I'm putting an 8-year $8.5M extension on the table for him in July.

Also fair :thumbu:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Ekholm and Forsberg.

Vancouver would have to send cap back (not all of it dumps), but whats the overall ask here? A first and a prospect for Forsberg, and what's the ask on Ekholm when he's healthy again?

If Vancouver wanted both, it would probably start with at least 2 of, if not all three of Podkolzin, Hoglander and Rathbone, as well as your 2021 first round pick... Because they'd have to take a couple of your overpaid, under performing guys in return, to balance the money.

So something like...

To Vancouver
Filip Forsberg (×% retained)
Tobias Ekholm

To Nashville
Vasily Podkolzin
Nils Hoglander
2021 1st round pick
Tanner Pearson (so the money works)

Reactions: Dan Kelly

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Monahan feels a bit like Ryan Johansen to me, and it would cramp our style to make room for him, but tbh I don't even know why Duchene is a center for us... he WANTS to be a center, I guess, but I don't see anything he does that screams out to me that he should be. So in that sense, I don't feel that we're necessarily totally logjammed at center that we can't accommodate Monahan. Management may feel much differently than I do, of course.
Ya super fair, too much C depth is never a bad thing. Especially when Johansen and Duchene are overall pretty inconsistent

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I feel like we should trade Rinne just because we might not have room to hang his number in the rafters.

84c69f3a7762c74ab69826ed938cf4c5.jpg

Mtler in Toronto

Mar 1, 2012
Toronto
Fabbro won't be traded, he'll be a top pairing guy with Farrance eventually.
I doubt Forsberg will be traded. Ekholm I can see being traded and he'll bring value, a 6'4" defenseman that can skate on a cheap contract. Arvidsson maybe if the offer was good.

Likely traded Grimaldi, Haula, Richardson, Cousins, Benning, Boroweicki.

Take your Nashville undies off. Farrance hasn't even played a game yet and you are already pegging him in on your top pair?

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I see no reason that the Preds would move Forsberg. I have no idea why Rinne is on there either.

Oilers offer this 14 days before the deadline.

To Preds
Larsson-cap considerations. could be traded for a 2nd for sure at the line
Kassian-Cap considerations
Broberg-Blue chip Prospect.
2021-1st round pick

To Oilers:

Ekholm
Forsberg

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
As a devils fan I’d love to have Forsberg to ride shotgun with Hughes or Nico . So would every other team in the NHL though .
Is there a possible deal that could work to get Forsberg in NJ ? We have tons of decent prospects for once . I’m guessing it would hurt to give up what’s needed . Holtz and Mercer ? I’d try whatever possible to not include both. .. maybe swap Mercer with Foote or Boqvist plus a 2nd ?
I only watch a handful of Pred games a year how is Forsberg without the puck ? Is he the type of player that would block shots and take a hit to make a play or is he a little soft in that part of his game ? I just know he is amazingly offensively talented

LOUISVILLE ICE CARDS

Washed up College Hockey Player OSU18 Uofl 2021
May 7, 2013
Louisville Kentucky
Josi and Ellis check out. Rinne, though... he's coming off a sub .900 season and will be 39-next season. Has Sarros been that underwhelming?
Only reason Rinne is untouchable is because he’s going to retire a Predator. The city means the world to him and he means the world to the City. He will be a career long Pred for that reason not his play. No doubt when he hangs him up we will retire his Jersey same as Weber

Reactions: predfan24 and BHD

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Haula... a 3rd round pick would do. Or later if that's not available. He is not useful to us. We won't retain for this level of lesser pick, though.

Sissons... ehh... he's not "special", but he's a hard-working physical bottom-6 player... I know we signed him to premium term based on a good season and a lot of projection... he's not "untouchable" by any stretch. But he fits a role. And we don't really have any other player who fits that role any better. I wouldn't trade him for just a pick. It would take some larger and more complex scenario.

Jarnkrok is a good player. But he's also a buddy of some good players who we might want to send a message to, and he's also more of a "versatile utility player" than a really core player. I would trade him for a 2nd-ish return, just to send that message. But he's also cheap and useful, and I wouldn't sell him TOO cheaply just for that sake.

I like Trenin. He's a tank. The Preds aren't using him as much as I think they should. I don't think he has high offensive upside, though. He's a bit of a lumbering player who can bang and chip in, but I doubt he'll ever produce more than, say, Austin Watson did for us. I doubt there are any magic beans here. But you'll still like him. I wouldn't be inclined to trade him, just play him a little more.

So Trenin, Sissons and Haula are more of the chip and chase type? I'm wondering if any of these guys would fit as a playmaker on a line with a couple of straight line, two-way guys (e.g. Jarnkrok -- there's simply no cohesion on the 3rd line with Roussel, Sutter and Gaudette, it's just dump in, waste energy and peel off).

Trenin doesn't sound bad but we probably have our own guy trying to make it in MacEwen who fits that description.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
How badly has Haula fallen off? couple of years ago i would have wanted him on the Avs

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
what do you mean lately, have you seen all the players on waivers and have you seen any movement other than dubois for laine, i sure havnt seen anything move unless its money in money out, and as far as players contracts going forward boy oh boy a lot of players are in for a surprise for sure, there is no revenues in the nhl, how are teams suppose to pay those salary of past contracts, and worse yet for future contracts, player are going to beg to sign anywhere on the cheap, mark my words a lot of teams are struggling, i hear the coyotes are on dire straights right now ready to fold...

Lately was about 3 years or so back, but I don't have the exact dates for some of the defenders I mentioned in front of me I'm afraid.

And yes, contracts will likely be lower than market value, but in a case like Ekholm, I'd still expect it to go up from his way below market value contract as of now.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If Vancouver wanted both, it would probably start with at least 2 of, if not all three of Podkolzin, Hoglander and Rathbone, as well as your 2021 first round pick... Because they'd have to take a couple of your overpaid, under performing guys in return, to balance the money.

So something like...

To Vancouver
Filip Forsberg (×% retained)
Tobias Ekholm

To Nashville
Vasily Podkolzin
Nils Hoglander
2021 1st round pick
Tanner Pearson (so the money works)

As one of your fellow fans was discussing with me, that is way out of our price range for a variety of reasons, I'm afraid. Future salaries all around alone would completely sewer this trade for two ELC top six forwards, not to mention the odds of our first being a lottery pick to boot. Thank you for the polite reply though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->