Post-Game Talk: Pre-Season #5: Mon, Sept. 23 2019, FLYERS at Bruins, 7:00 pm ET

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Well you say “obviously” but I’ve received quite a bit of heat on here for saying that :laugh:

And yeah, that’s why I still watch and care about preseason... it shouldn’t be used the way it is, but the infallible NHL coaches disagree. So until they stop caring, these performances still matter because they might end up deciding the roster, lines, and usage.
lol ya it sucks that a player can have a great year in the ahl and have a "so-so" camp/preseason and be demoted based on that. Usually those players get called up soon though. We don't really have that right now or that guy would most lilkey have the inside track on the positions available. Right now we have frost, farabee, twars, bunny, nak fighting for 2-3 spots and one or two of those might be gone once patrick/pitlick come back.

Reactions: Striiker

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Someone snag the footage of AV at the end of the game to Yeo on the bench...reading his lips...

"Cant win with goaltending like that...Its ****"

Wow that’s great. I really like AV. Guy calls it how it is. He’s not a douche. He doesn’t shit on people or over react. But he calls out grown men for not doing their job as he should. I’d love to use some of these assets to get a good backup.

Hayes looks like a good pickup. I think he will be an impact player. Fits well with this teams style and needs.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Tough to say what they’ll do. I can’t really see how they could even justify Andreoff, Stewart, or Gabriel at this point. They obviously shouldn’t even been seriously considered to begin but all three have objectively had poor preseasons.

I don’t really know how many young guys they’ll want in the lineup to start but they might not really have a choice now that I’m actually looking at.

If we take Patrick & Pitlick out for the start here’s your locks.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
van Riemsdyk- Hayes - Voracek
Lindblom - xxx - xxx
Raffl - Laughton - xxx

I would say NAK should be an easy choice for a spot at this point given he’s waiver eligible as well. I don’t think Farabee makes it personally, 19 years old & has contract stipulations in play. Frost I have no idea what to think there especially with his injury. Rubtsov is obviously an organization favorite. Then you have Twarynski & Bunnaman probably grabbing their attention late here.

ya its going to be interesting for sure. I can only see them bringing in two rookies and then a vet. 3 rookies would be so un-flyer like. When patrick comes back, I would not mind nak, twars, or bunnaman taking the 4th line rw. I might be in the minority here, but I also would not mind seeing frost AND farabee both start in the ahl. They both look like they can use the carter hart amount of games before one of them is called and stays with the team. Looks like we need one of them for sure right now with the injuries to pitlick and patrick so no complaints here lol.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Well, that was interesting.

A lot of good things and then some crazy, self-defeating stuff.

Hayes? I've been warming-up to him, but what was he thinking in OT, just seconds after blowing a chance to win the game?

Ghost's pass to spring Kevin? Beauty.

Myers? Hope the kid is mature enough to shrug that one off and move on.

Elliott? #FreeFelix.

NAK and Bunny? Looking good.

Sanheim? I love the kid, but I didn't like the glide from the top of the circle on Marchand's goal.

Konecny blocking shots in an exhibition? I think this guy's going to have a big season.

Reactions: Rebels57

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
The pace the last two games has been tremendous. It’s a tempo and aggression I can barely recall seeing out of this group. Dare I say, it’s been fun hockey!

1) It’s actually impressive how good NAK looked playing with a total non entity in Andreoff and a player who, while mostly mistake free, wasn’t far off in Rubtsov. He carried them. In every zone he made consistent subtle plays. It is no accident he has graded out as one of the best Phantoms possession players. A forecheck win with his thicc build, a smart rotation on opposing breakouts, a stop up pass to a d man or cutter. Going back to his shifts tonight would show a lot, if one can see the details. This is an NHL player.

2) Friedman wasn’t far off. Credit to Morin too who had his best game yet. Lot of smart pinches and NZ stops. Puck mangling not as bad. Friedman was really strong defensively and, better yet, continued his trend of showing a ton of poise on breakouts. Another NHL player. Myers is still the 6th best option, but there is a canyon between Friedman and Hagg. I hope Friedman gets a chance at some point to work towards a possible starter job next season. Bob Hogg, you are the weakest link — goodbye.

3) Twarynski has been strong, and he deserves another game, but he also benefited from some dandy stretch passes the other night, and he’s most noticeable when skating. Not quite as noticeable tonight minus the goal shift, but still some good. Bunnaman was the show tonight, and I think his cycle game and passing stood out more. The amount of cheap depth we have (and it ain’t stopping) is bonkers. Why do we need old withered husks or AAAA players again?

4) Dumb penalty or not, I am really eager to see Coots and Hayes together every game. The possession tilt was real.

5) Lastly, Ghost has been a sheer revelation. Preseason schmeseason, but I don’t know if he has ever looked so good at all strengths, on and off puck. I think he has made a highlight or two every shift, along with multiple subtle plays, without even a hint of a mistake the Hive Truthers would jump on. His efficiency rate is insane, yet he’s still taking calculated risks. I hope the coaches are as gaga over his game as I am right now. No Flyer has been better. Must be the fresh Bauer gear.

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
With the uncertainty of Patrick, they should be keeping Frost up to play in the opener. Let him rest/heal up until that game. We need the C depth AND he will be very motivated.

Please let today be the day Stewy(cut) and his 2 invisible friends are waived.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost looks 100%, but what this also illustrates is WHY you shelter Ghost, he's impacted by dings and injuries more than say Provorov, because his game is built around quickness and elusiveness (same with Giroux). We've seen Couts be effective with a bad knee and Provorov with a bad shoulder because they're strong enough to compensate somewhat with strength and positioning. Ghost gets a shot on the knee and becomes a mediocre player for much of last season.

So if going deep into the playoffs is your goal, I want to limit the punishment both Ghost and Giroux take over an 80 game season and keep them fresh for the playoffs. And that means rationing minutes.

If your goal is to merely make the playoffs (and for the HC to save his job) you run your stars into the ground, but when you become a solid playoff contender you need to protect your stars.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I really like our coaching staff so far. Fun hockey to watch. Hextall really **** the bed on coaches but man are we stacked with good/solid young players.

hextall really screwed up by not getting a good backup goalie last year instead of sticking with neuvy.hart will be awesome, im worried about elliot.

NYCFlyer

Nov 23, 2002
NYC
I want Ghost to be a PK regular. Screw shot blockers, I want guys who break up passes and move it out of the zone.

Bunnman, NAK and Twar all need to get shots ahead of any veteran fodder. These guys are 21-23, they're men, they're pros, put them on the ice as they are coming into their physical primes.
I'm not sure Ghost can play that many minutes over an entire season considering all the PP time he will get. As far as veteran fodder, Pitlick and Raffl aren't scrubs and it won't be long before we have too many good choices and players will be moved for draft picks. It will be interesting to see what Fletch does with the bottom of the roster. The only material issue I see is backup goaltending.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There's just weren't many good options for backup goalies, b/c good options get paid starter money and given starter opportunities.
Talbot (32, 1yr/$2.75M), McIlhenney (36), 2 yr/$2.6M, Mike Smith (37), 1yr/$2M, were the 3 backup veteran goalies that were available along with Elliott.
Lyon is as good or better than Stolarz.

This is why Hextall was stockpiling goalies, Sandstrom is a year behind schedule due to injuries, but looked like our 2nd best goalie in camp, he'll get to play in LHV. Lyon when healthy is probably as good or better than Elliott (he was rushed into service last year, struggled, then shined when he got healthy in LHV).

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
All I did was point out the normal BS narratives this team regularly pushes on certain players. You, wrongly, tried to defend textbook propaganda. That's it.

/convo

Vorobyev having a mediocre camp is really getting to you, huh.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This thread is about to get spicy

616.jpg

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This thread is about to get spicy

616.jpg

I would just like to point out that the GDT did help to illustrate just how much certain posters truly are biased by their agenda and are incapable of honest evaluation of play.

That and Stewart cementing his place on the bench of any local beer league were probably the two big wins of yesterday's game (I believe I mentioned the latter previously).

Reactions: Striiker

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
We should probably be careful about projecting the preseason style of play to regular season style of play. Hakstol teams were fun in the preseason. Regular season comes and the overcoaching becomes more prevalent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad