2019 Stanley Cup Final Pre-Game Talk GAME 1 - 5/27 8:21 PM - Blues return to SCF after 17,914 days to the same city

Which team wins Game 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
My point is pretty self explanatory.
No matter how hard you're trying to downplay it.

It's really not. I have no clue why you shared this link.
Especially since my original post wasn't meant to be a serious one.
But suit yourself. I don't care anymore.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Because it's not true.
We even beat a team whose number 1 priority was hitting everything that moves over scoring goals.
Bruins and Blues are absolutely heavy teams, not sure how you can say otherwise.

CBJ was too.

Being heavy doesn't mean you hit a lot of people. It's that you can do that, but also take the punishment. That is why CBJ lost. Bruins hit back and created space to score because of it. Pretty much the definition of a heavy team

Reactions: Strafer

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I wish my dad was here to see this as well. He was a Leafs fan but he loved heavy hockey. He hated Mats Sundin, or at least hated his lack of drive.
I wish both of my parents were here . They missed 2011 too. I felt like they were with me in 2011. I put a B's flag on their grave .

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Bruins and Blues are absolutely heavy teams, not sure how you can say otherwise.

CBJ was too.

Being heavy doesn't mean you hit a lot of people. It's that you can do that, but also take the punishment. That is why CBJ lost. Bruins hit back and created space to score because of it. Pretty much the definition of a heavy team

Peter DeBoer used the superlative "the two heaviest teams" and expressed it like it's the main reason they are in the Finals.

The Bruins are not as heavy as they used to be. No more Lucic, Thornton, McQuaid. Miller is injured and Chara hasn't really laid a crushing hit since he destroyed Pacioretty.
And there is a reason Cassidy had to insert Backes back into the line-up in the Columbus-series.

Of course you're right when you're saying that it also means taking hits.
But this seems kind of hypocritical coming from a fan base that's been mocking the Sedins for years. They were deemed soft, just because they didn't retaliate for the abuse they took all the time.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
Now 2 Days, 12 Hours, 33 Minutes
DA357472-3845-4FB9-B118-B0EA5599067F.jpeg

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Peter DeBoer used the superlative "the two heaviest teams" and expressed it like it's the main reason they are in the Finals.

The Bruins are not as heavy as they used to be. No more Lucic, Thornton, McQuaid. Miller is injured and Chara hasn't really laid a crushing hit since he destroyed Pacioretty.
And there is a reason Cassidy had to insert Backes back into the line-up in the Columbus-series.

Of course you're right when you're saying that it also means taking hits.
But this seems kind of hypocritical coming from a fan base that's been mocking the Sedins for years. They were deemed soft, just because they didn't retaliate for the abuse they took all the time.

Game and league are different than they were in 2011. By 2019 standards the Bruins are a heavy, physical team.

They aren’t close to as physical as the 2011 team but quite literally nobody is anymore. I think they’ve got the ideal combo of speed and skill and that’s why they are where they are right now

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Game and league are different than they were in 2011. By 2019 standards the Bruins are a heavy, physical team.

They aren’t close to as physical as the 2011 team but quite literally nobody is anymore. I think they’ve got the ideal combo of speed and skill and that’s why they are where they are right now

I concur.
It's a good thing the Bruins evolved with regard to today's NHL.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I concur.
It's a good thing the Bruins evolved with regard to today's NHL.

For sure. I think they learned their lesson the two years they missed the playoffs and then when they got torched by the speed of the lightning last year

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I'm going Bruins in 6. I don't normally like to do by game, but screw it, its the STANLEY CUP FINALS!!

Game 1 - STL
Game 2 - BOS
Game 3 - BOS
Game 4 - BOS
Game 5 - STL
Game 6 - BOS

Reactions: HumBucker

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Taking mom to make the rounds at the cemeteries today.

I think my dad would have liked this Bruins team. Even after I moved away from home, we would always talk after big Bruins wins.

True story...

Back in March I turned on the TV and had left NESN on from the previous night’s Bruins game. There was some strange cartoon about Opening Day at Fenway on and had some notable voice actors. I left it on and went into the kitchen to assist Mrs. 103 with dinner prep.

We brought our plates into the living room and sat down as the cartoon was drawing to a close. I turned and said to my wife, “you know, the last Red Sox game the old man ever saw was the Red Sox beating the Dodgers to clinch the World Series. How many people does that happen for? He thought he’d never see them win, and now look at them.” I’m not going to lie - I was a little choked up at the memory.

So, the cartoon ended, and lo and behold, Game 5 of the 2018 World Series comes on. I had no idea it was coming on, hadn’t looked at the schedule on the TV or anything like that.

Should the Bruins win this series, I’m going to go see the old man and plant a championship flag. He’d think that was pretty cool.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
The Blues don't have the offensive players we have.. Jaden it's time to face reality and the Bruins will hit you with a massive dose of reality and bring you back to planet earth You are playing way above your head . Guy scores 11 in reg season and has 12 in playoffs..get the *uck outta here

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I am tired of hearing (from Bruin haters, AKA Montreal media) how St.Louis was "BY FAR" the best team in hockey since Jan 1st.

1st of all, percentage wise, they were not, that honour goes to the Tampa Bay lightning.

They are the team that played the most games and accumulated the most points, gee who would have thunk.

it goes,

St.Louis
45G 30W 10L 5OT 65P

Tampa
42G 31W 9L 2OT 64P pretty sure they would have made up at least two points if they had played 3 more games

Carolina
44G 30W 12L 2OT 62P

Boston
43G 28W 10L 5OT 61 P What if they would have won the two games less they played. If you take the last 45 games the Bruins played their record is identical to that of the Blues.

In any case, even not getting into it as I have, "BY FAR" is clearly an overstatement. At least qualify it by saying they played the most games as well. I hate when the media cherry pick stats like in this case to suit their narrative. I'm particularly bothered by it when they use it to put the Blues over the Bruins. If your prediction is based in half truths it kinda messes up your prediction. Bruins in 6 , suck it up.

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
It's really not. I have no clue why you shared this link.
Especially since my original post wasn't meant to be a serious one.
But suit yourself. I don't care anymore.

Oh boy...
You posted this. " The Blues are the best team in the world and the Cup favorites."

I posted a link where the Bruins are the cup favorite.

End of story.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The Blues don't have the offensive players we have.. Jaden it's time to face reality and the Bruins will hit you with a massive dose of reality and bring you back to planet earth You are playing way above your head . Guy scores 11 in reg season and has 12 in playoffs..get the *uck outta here

You saying that Schwartz is playing "way above his head" tells me you're not at all familiar with the player. For one, he scored 11 goals in 69 games this year. In November, he suffered an UBI and from what I've found, it was a hand injury. Schwartz has been pretty consistent over his career to give you 20-25 goals. He's an excellent two-way player and should not be taken lightly.

The Blues have offensive talent. They have Tarasenko, who is one of the best players in this series. Brayden Schenn is very talented and ROR is one of the best two-way centers in the game. They have good depth as well.

I don't understand why so many Bruins fans are underestimating this Blues team. They have talent and depth up front. They have talent on the backend. They have a good goalie.

At least the actual Bruins team won't take them lightly. This is a series that could easily go either way.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The "bottom of the barrel to the playoffs" statistic for the Blues really annoys me. Yes, they had the fewest points at that point. But that metric is unbelievably stupid, for two reasons:

1) Their points percentage was way higher than some teams. Think St. Louis with 34 points in 37 games is bad? What if they were to, say, really bomb, and only get 1 more point out of 8 in the next 4 games? Congrats, you're the Senators or the Kings on the same day, January 2. Or 2 points in 5 games? You're the Hawks.

2) Strength of Schedule. Just looking at playoff vs non-playoff, maybe this doesn't apply in January, as that month was pretty stacked for the Blues, with a 7-5 mix. February is just as bad - 8-6. But their March/April stretch? 7-12. (I may be off a little - just scanned their schedule and tallied manually.) Their last 6 games included 1 playoff team - the Avs.

And the Bruins were technically at the bottom of the standings this year, too...on October 4.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I wish both of my parents were here . They missed 2011 too. I felt like they were with me in 2011. I put a B's flag on their grave .

Ahh, same here. That’s awesome LF. Wish you could enjoy this with your folks.

My parents both passed in 2002; while the 2003 Grady Little year for the Sox would have been brutal for them, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2013, 2017 would have seen us all together for Sox 0r Bruins championships.

Both were Giants fans though (born in New Haven...just the way it is).

But...now I get to enjoy this with MY kids!!!

Drop the puck already!!!!

Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Rask’s puckhandling is an underrated part of his success, though he is sometimes an adventure with the puck on his stick. Carratu noted that Rask is “saving himself a lot of shots” by stopping pucks behind the net and dishing to his D.
I just don’t remember this being part of his game until this year during the playoffs. This is new and I hope it will persist.

Reactions: Strafer

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
You saying that Schwartz is playing "way above his head" tells me you're not at all familiar with the player. For one, he scored 11 goals in 69 games this year. In November, he suffered an UBI and from what I've found, it was a hand injury. Schwartz has been pretty consistent over his career to give you 20-25 goals. He's an excellent two-way player and should not be taken lightly.

The Blues have offensive talent. They have Tarasenko, who is one of the best players in this series. Brayden Schenn is very talented and ROR is one of the best two-way centers in the game. They have good depth as well.

I don't understand why so many Bruins fans are underestimating this Blues team. They have talent and depth up front. They have talent on the backend. They have a good goalie.

At least the actual Bruins team won't take them lightly. This is a series that could easily go either way.

He scored 11 in 69 before getting hurt
Now he has 12 in19 which would translate in 51goals in reg season. Never said he wasn't a good player but no doubt as the numbers show he is playing like Ovie not Schwartzy.... Don't worry the Bruins won't take them lightly the way they didn't take the Canes and the blue jackets lightly and the Blues will have the same faith.
Only thing that can beat the Bruins is having key injuries . the Blues must rely on that luck for them to win
As I said with the Canes and now I'm saying it with the Blues
The buck stops here ...the Bruins will see to it
Take a hike Binnington .... You're flash in the pan is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad