2019 Stanley Cup Final Pre-Game Talk GAME 1 - 5/27 8:21 PM - Blues return to SCF after 17,914 days to the same city

Which team wins Game 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
95% are choosing the Bruins quite a. margin. As I mentioned the only thing the bruins need to do is stay healthy..
Sj might have had a game 7 had they been healthy. No pavelski, no Karlsson, no Hertl. That's just too much for a team to sustain

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
For sure. I think they learned their lesson the two years they missed the playoffs and then when they got torched by the speed of the lightning last year

Perhaps, but TB also played a heavier game against the Bruins. They out-hit us and man-handled us.

I don't think of this year's Bruins as a particularly heavy team. Lots of players whose identity is not "heavy" - DeBrusk, Marchand, Pasta, Krug, Grizz, MoJo, Kreijci, Heinen. But some of these guys can lay the body when they need to. Some players bring a notably heavy game: Carlo, McAvoy, Backes, Coyle, 4th line. Maybe Chara (but not quite the monster he used to).

So I see the Bruins as more of a hybrid. Their identity isn't "heavy" but they can accentuate heaviness if they need to. They're versatile. They're not a 1 ton truck; maybe a half-ton truck? They can zip through traffic, but they can also do some heavy lifting when they need to. And that's the kind of team you need to be successful in today's NHL.

Reactions: Strafer

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Taking mom to make the rounds at the cemeteries today.

I think my dad would have liked this Bruins team. Even after I moved away from home, we would always talk after big Bruins wins.

True story...

Back in March I turned on the TV and had left NESN on from the previous night’s Bruins game. There was some strange cartoon about Opening Day at Fenway on and had some notable voice actors. I left it on and went into the kitchen to assist Mrs. 103 with dinner prep.

We brought our plates into the living room and sat down as the cartoon was drawing to a close. I turned and said to my wife, “you know, the last Red Sox game the old man ever saw was the Red Sox beating the Dodgers to clinch the World Series. How many people does that happen for? He thought he’d never see them win, and now look at them.” I’m not going to lie - I was a little choked up at the memory.

So, the cartoon ended, and lo and behold, Game 5 of the 2018 World Series comes on. I had no idea it was coming on, hadn’t looked at the schedule on the TV or anything like that.

Should the Bruins win this series, I’m going to go see the old man and plant a championship flag. He’d think that was pretty cool.
I went and planted flowers on my parents and grandparents graves this morning. I then sat and talked to them and told them what was going on in the family and world ( I am sure they are NOT pleased with what is going on in this country) . I of course included the Bruin's info as they were both huge B's fans, I put a B's flag there when the B's won in 2011 and if the B's win I will do so again.

I know it seems weird to some that I sit and speak to them even though they are no longer on this earth but it gives me peace.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
You saying that Schwartz is playing "way above his head" tells me you're not at all familiar with the player. For one, he scored 11 goals in 69 games this year. In November, he suffered an UBI and from what I've found, it was a hand injury. Schwartz has been pretty consistent over his career to give you 20-25 goals. He's an excellent two-way player and should not be taken lightly.

The Blues have offensive talent. They have Tarasenko, who is one of the best players in this series. Brayden Schenn is very talented and ROR is one of the best two-way centers in the game. They have good depth as well.

I don't understand why so many Bruins fans are underestimating this Blues team. They have talent and depth up front. They have talent on the backend. They have a good goalie.

At least the actual Bruins team won't take them lightly. This is a series that could easily go either way.

100%. I think the Bruins have the slight edge in talent, depth, experience, defence and goaltending. But not a huge edge. Could the Blues win this series? Absolutely. Gonna be a good one.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Not a terrible view while getting a haircut this morning.

The Garden looks ready.

D75C079D-2C41-4D54-AACB-1C46D5EA61EC.jpeg

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Perhaps, but TB also played a heavier game against the Bruins. They out-hit us and man-handled us.

I don't think of this year's Bruins as a particularly heavy team. Lots of players whose identity is not "heavy" - DeBrusk, Marchand, Pasta, Krug, Grizz, MoJo, Kreijci, Heinen. But some of these guys can lay the body when they need to. Some players bring a notably heavy game: Carlo, McAvoy, Backes, Coyle, 4th line. Maybe Chara (but not quite the monster he used to).

So I see the Bruins as more of a hybrid. Their identity isn't "heavy" but they can accentuate heaviness if they need to. They're versatile. They're not a 1 ton truck; maybe a half-ton truck? They can zip through traffic, but they can also do some heavy lifting when they need to. And that's the kind of team you need to be successful in today's NHL.

I mean if Carlo plays a heavy game then there is no “maybe” next to chara. Other than that I totally agree

Reactions: Boston Bandit

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Bernie's Stanley Cup Pick: Heart Over Mind. The Blues Beat the Bruins In Six. - 101Sports.com

You weren’t supposed to overcome the hand-pass devastation. You were supposed to go into the fetal position and fade out …

A bunch of Blues players weren’t supposed to walk into a Philadelphia saloon on a random off night and hear a 1982 hit song by Laura Branigan, “Gloria,” blasting through the speakers — destined to instantly become your team’s victory song …

Two more inspirational words: Charles Glenn.

You weren’t supposed to largely shut down three top scoring lines from Winnipeg, Dallas and San Jose to reach the biggest stage in the sport…

You weren’t supposed to be guided — with perfection — to this special place by an interim coach nicknamed “Chief.” If Blues fans and media put together a list of potential coaching hires (non-interim) to eventually take over as coach, Berube’s name would have been at the bottom of the list … or not on the list at all…

The Blues weren’t supposed to do any of this — but they did…

The Blues aren’t supposed to defeat the Boston Bruins to win the first Stanley Cup for the St. Louis franchise, for their amazingly loyal fans, and for the city.

But they will.

The heart wins.

Blues in six.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He scored 11 in 69 before getting hurt
Now he has 12 in19 which would translate in 51goals in reg season. Never said he wasn't a good player but no doubt as the numbers show he is playing like Ovie not Schwartzy.... Don't worry the Bruins won't take them lightly the way they didn't take the Canes and the blue jackets lightly and the Blues will have the same faith.
Only thing that can beat the Bruins is having key injuries . the Blues must rely on that luck for them to win
As I said with the Canes and now I'm saying it with the Blues
The buck stops here ...the Bruins will see to it
Take a hike Binnington .... You're flash in the pan is over

He got hurt in November. He didn't have 11 goals up until that point. That's also not 69 games before the injury.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I went and planted flowers on my parents and grandparents graves this morning. I then sat and talked to them and told them what was going on in the family and world ( I am sure they are NOT pleased with what is going on in this country) . I of course included the Bruin's info as they were both huge B's fans, I put a B's flag there when the B's won in 2011 and if the B's win I will do so again.

I know it seems weird to some that I sit and speak to them even though they are no longer on this earth but it gives me peace.

That is the least weird, “weird thing” that I’ve seen posted on here. If you feel a connection then who is anyone to tell you otherwise. God bless!

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
He got hurt in November. He didn't have 11 goals up until that point. That's also not 69 games before the injury.

He averages about 23 goals per season(82 games) ..He has 12 goals in 19 playoff games
As good as he might be he is not this high of a scorer not even close... safe to say he has having the playoffs not typical of his goal scoring abilities.
Saying he is scoring way over his head is on the button. Simply put, he is way hot overheating in fact .... It has to stop !

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
When we faced Toronto
Imo most felt it would be a long series mainly for the reason that I felt Matthews would come alive in these playoffs...he did
They also had Tav but they didn't have JVR and Bozak
When Columbus came to town
This one I felt might be tough for the bruins...it wasn't as tough as I thought it would be.
When they faced the Canes ..this one I felt we'd kill them in 5 ..they swept them( the same team that ousted last year's champs).
Now here comes St Louis
We are better in every aspect ..There is imo only one way to lose this series and I repeat that is only if we get a key injury or injuries..No other way can the Blues beat the Bruins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad