HF Habs: U18 World Men's Hockey Championship, April 25-May 5

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Despite how good Crosby has been, he has somehow gotten underrated because the media spends most their time hyping up younger stars (McDavid, Matthews, Bedard etc) or Ovie's chase for the goal record. Having 19 straight PPG seasons over his career and putting up 94 points as a 36 year old is insane.

Assuming he stays healthy, Crosby has a good chance at ending up second all time in points. It is even crazier when you factor in he missed ~150 games of prime years as a 23-25 year old due to injuries and the lockout.

Both are sons of Hockeybuzz Eklund (E2)
hope his kids are less full of BS than their dad. Ek's fake siren alert going off in the early 2000's interwebs lol. Dude was posting anything and everything for good old cost per click back in the day.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
hope his kids are less full of BS than their dad. Ek's fake siren alert going off in the early 2000's interwebs lol. Dude was posting anything and everything for good old cost per click back in the day.

Lol I was joking about Eklund being their dad. No chance Eklund was getting laid given he was looking like this in his parent's basement posting bullshit rumours.

1714423578215.png

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Lol I was joking about Eklund being their dad. No chance Eklund was getting laid given he was looking like this in his parent's basement posting bullshit rumours.

View attachment 861862
Do you remember when he was on the Sportsnet trade deadline show and they had him as a shadowy figure in an office above. So f***ing weird and awkward. That actually might have been the Vanek deadline and he called it wrong. I know he called something wrong as per usual.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

View attachment 861862
lol you had me go off on a tangent , well done!

Do you remember when he was on the Sportsnet trade deadline show and they had him as a shadowy figure in an office above. So f***ing weird and awkward. That actually might have been the Vanek deadline and he called it wrong. I know he called something wrong as per usual.

Yeah ! So pathetic

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Yeah, guy was joking. Their dad is a sports media personality, but in Sweden. There's no relation between the Eklund bros & the SN hockey trade doofus.

Reactions: jaffy27

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Games tomorrow:

7 am: Norway vs Slovakia
8 am: Switzerland vs Sweden
11 am: Finland vs USA
12 pm: Kazakhstan vs Canada

Canada has already clinched 1st place in their division. They will play the 4th place team in the other division in QF, which will be either Norway, Latvia or Slovakia.

Slovakia has to beat Norway in regulation to avoid the relegation game. That will mean all of the bottom 3 teams will be tied, with Latvia having beaten Slovakia, Norway beating Latvia, and Slovakia beating Norway. I believe it's then goal differential between the 3 teams only.

If Slovakia beats Norway by 2 goals the goal differential for all 3 is O. Lol We'll see what happens there, but in any case Canada shouldn't have any problems with any of these teams.

The Finland-US game is for 1st place in the division. Both teams are 3-0. It's likely the loser of this game ends up playing Canada in the Semi-Finals.

The winner plays Switzerland in QFs. The loser gets Czech Republic or Sweden.

Reactions: bopeep

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
So... if Trevor Connelly is available at pick 25, do you think the Habs should draft the kid since he will obviously be BPA, or one media fiasco (Mailloux) is enough?

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
I always thought the criticism about his two way game were ridiculous. You don't lead a team to a cup final at 20 with a lackluster two way game. Actually, even at 18 I was floored by his all around game. He's still the smartest player I've watched since Lemieux. Insane hockey IQ.
I loved Carey but man was I bummed when we missed out on Crosby.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Damn, Slovakia destroying Norway 6-1. If that holds, Slovakia will finish 3rd based on goal differential, Norway 5th and in the relegation game.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Tomas Poebezal, who missed being a 2024 by 3 days (birthday is September 18th cut-off is 15th), so is a 2025, has a hattrick.

Tomas Chrenko, a 2026 draft eligible player, has 1g & 1a, so the Tomases have come together to help Slovakia gain a huge lead over Norway.

8-1 Slovakia after 2.

Canada will play Latvia in QFs.
Norway will play Kazakhstan in relegation game

Sweden is currently losing 2-1 to Switzerland in 2nd period, whoever ends up 3rd/4th will play US/Fins. 2nd you get Slovakia. Sweden needs to win this game in regulation to finish 2nd.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Even with Demidovs knee injury I take him his offensive potential is just too good and it's exactly what we need
Agreed. If Demidov's injury is the reason he slides to us, it may a lucky turn of events for us.

If he busts because of injuries, it will be too bad, but most likely he can move on from it and become a very good player in the NHL.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Poebezal scores his 4th of the game. 10-1 Slovakia. I guess the coach told them to go out & kill Norway and you won't have to worry about relegation.

2-2 between Sweden and Switzerland.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
They won't be picking him, period. Molson is not getting sponsorship heat for another controversial round 1 selection.
Probably not although I have no idea what he did. But they could trade the pick to a team who wants him to get a lower 1st and other assets (a 2nd).

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Slovakia wins 11-1 over Norway, and out shot them 40-9! Wow.

Jan Chovan, a 2025, picks up his 2nd goal, while Chrenko gets another assist to finish with 3 pts.

Based off goal differential between the three teams, they finish Slovakia 3rd, Latvia 4th & Norway 5th.

Reactions: skidcells

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Agreed. If Demidov's injury is the reason he slides to us, it may a lucky turn of events for us.

If he busts because of injuries, it will be too bad, but most likely he can move on from it and become a very good player in the NHL.
Can't waste a 5th overall pick on a glass body. They need to be sure that Demidov and Lindstrom aren't before they consider taking them. Could take a risk with Winnipeg's 1st though

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
I wouldn't worry too much about it. He won't be there. He's still getting drafted top 20.

Yes, some team that doesn't get much scrutiny will easily grab him up.

So... if Trevor Connelly is available at pick 25, do you think the Habs should draft the kid since he will obviously be BPA, or one media fiasco (Mailloux) is enough?

So many players I like in the top 20. Sennecke, Greentree, Jiricek, Basha, etc, etc. I'd love for us to be able to move up slightly from Winnipeg's pick.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Well, Sweden beats Switzerland 3-2, but in OT. That means they finish 3rd and will play the loser of the US-Finland match today in QFs. Czech Republic finishes 2nd.

So far, for QFs:

Canada vs Latvia
Czech Republic vs Slovakia

Quarter-Finals are Thursday. Semi-Finals Saturday. Finals Sunday.

Reactions: skidcells

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm hoping he is available and I'm hoping the Habs draft him. But both are unlikely, I think.

And I'm liking what the scouting team has done so far, so I'm more interested in what they think they should do than I am in what I think they should do.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Can't waste a 5th overall pick on a glass body. They need to be sure that Demidov and Lindstrom aren't before they consider taking them. Could take a risk with Winnipeg's 1st though
Hard disagree. Unless they have info that the injury is really bad, it shouldn't factor too much. They need top talent much more than good depth, which they already have.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad