Practice cancelled: Dubas to speak to media at 11:30

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
oh i'm dying.

anyway. Dubas said that we weren't playing well - and the puck went in. and now we're playing somewhat well and the puck isn't. the core of the team is young and so he's interested to see how they can get themselves out of it, and who can be a leader pull them through.
interesting spin.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Dubas isnt going to talk himself more into a corner than hes already in regarding our defense. Every team already knows thats the one area we could use an upgrade at. GM's probably have a sky high asking price for the Leafs, wouldnt help bring down those prices if he straight admitted he needed to upgrade.

Not to mention, he'd gain nothing from shitting on our Dmen.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yeah, remember when McDavid played like crap while negotiating his contract?

Oh wait... nope. He got 100 points that year and won the Hart.

People here don't want to admit I am right. Matthews is playing banged up bad. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a matching 11m deal from him before seasons out because of the risk involved. If he doesn't have that blanket and gets put off the roster for a second time, he will have multiple injuries in the past 3 years. He even played hurt his rookie season.

The conference is the Water makes wet statement and attempt to pretend he is doing things. Alternatively he has a big trade or some trades around the corner. I don't think Dubas seems very proactive though.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
yeah well Dubas thinks our defense is under-rated so i'm not holding my breath.
doesn't like rentals. won't trade for actual help.

wooo.
little concerned, he said that in the fall and nothing's changed his opinion of the D to date, am I missing something here?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Dubas isnt going to talk himself more into a corner than hes already in regarding our defense. Every team already knows thats the one area we could use an upgrade at. GM's probably have a sky high asking price for the Leafs, wouldnt help bring down those prices if he straight addmitted he needed to upgrade.

Not to mention, he'd gain nothing from ****ting on our Dmen.
Every GM worth his salt "likes our group, but obviously we are always looking at our options and will look to improve if it makes sense". In other words blah de blah blah. If he said anything else I'd be alarmed.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
dubas is right to think our defense is underrated, of course.

he is a smart man. we are in good hands.

but it's funny that leafs fans and media so badly want him to follow the chia oilers strategy of trading skill for toughness.

Especially since the oil have very little talent left besides Mcjesus after looking for the toughness they desired.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Some people here won't like this one

I love it. But then, I'm a big fan of Gardiner, hoping against hope that he will still be with us next season. The only way I'll be OK with him being gone if if sign a UFA Dman of similar quality (Starlman?) and I have a feeling that's the plan. It's risky of course, if the guy(s) we want sign elsewhere then it might be too late to sign Gardiner.

Just imagine what our D would look like today without him, not a pretty picture.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I love it. But then, I'm a big fan of Gardiner, hoping against hope that he will still be with us next season. The only way I'll be OK with him being gone if if sign a UFA Dman of similar quality (Starlman?) and I have a feeling that's the plan. It's risky of course, if the guy(s) we want sign elsewhere then it might be too late to sign Gardiner.

Just imagine what our D would look like today without him, not a pretty picture.
Gardiner will be back as long as the cap allows it.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Here Here! table thumping, at least he gets it with regards to Jake. There is hope.

Some people here won't like this one

I don't dislike Jake Gardiner and I don't really expect anything different from the likes of Babcock, Dubas and players coming to his defense but Gardiner is a player whose shortcomings are magnified in important games.

He reminds me of someone who does well on Quizzes but butchers the exam.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
dubas is right to think our defense is underrated, of course.

he is a smart man. we are in good hands.

but it's funny that leafs fans and media so badly want him to follow the chia oilers strategy of trading skill for toughness.

Skill for toughness and skill

Reactions: FraumBallard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad