Practice cancelled: Dubas to speak to media at 11:30

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
yeah well Dubas thinks our defense is under-rated so i'm not holding my breath.
doesn't like rentals. won't trade for actual help.

wooo.
We need someone age appropriate to this core. Someone who is going to be around to form a core with us.
No sense giving up a 1st for a Hainsey D to leave next year.
I know we need to upgrade the D big time, but it has to be the right fit. Make sure you get what you paid for.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
yeah well Dubas thinks our defense is under-rated so i'm not holding my breath.
doesn't like rentals. won't trade for actual help.

wooo.
Not sure why him saying this is a big deal. That's actually smart by him because he's giving them a vote of confidence while he works to figure something out, otherwise he's just taking a dump on his own players and if he goes out and boldly claims that he must acquire a d-man, then other GMs smell the desperation and will raise their prices. Look at that moron Chiarelli who proclaimed to the world that the Oilers needed defense and then proceeds to get fleeced in every deal.

This is negotiating 101, you don't show your hand like that.

Regarding 'wont trade for actual help', that was never said and is twisting words.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
We need someone age appropriate to this core. Someone who is going to be around to form a core with us.
I know we need to upgrade the D big time, but it has to be the right fit. Make sure you get what you paid for.
100%. It's been said too by the 'insiders' that the Leafs will make a move if it's absolutely the right fit and at a cost that makes sense, and that's how it should be.

I swear to god people around here seem to want moves just for the sake of moves and then they will bitch afterwards when it's clear the move was desperate and an overpayment of assets.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
he will score lots eventually. he is very gifted. But the Caps are up against the cap and he makes $3mill now.

Sounds like someone the Oilers would have interest in then.

I fully support Dubas using real, legitimate, valuable, bonafide assets to land a long term top 2 defender. Don't even waste time acquiring a "he's better than X" player. If you have to justify the acquisition don't bother.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Not sure why him saying this is a big deal. That's actually smart by him because he's giving them a vote of confidence while he works to figure something out, otherwise he's just taking a dump on his own players and if he goes out and boldly claims that he must acquire a d-man, then other GMs smell the desperation and will raise their prices. Look at that moron Chiarelli who proclaimed to the world that the Oilers needed defense and then proceeds to get fleeced in every deal.

This is negotiating 101, you don't show your hand like that.

Regarding 'wont trade for actual help', that was never said and is twisting words.

Not to mention there’s no reason they cannot re-sign a pending a UFA if they trade for one

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
dubas is right to think our defense is underrated, of course.

he is a smart man. we are in good hands.

but it's funny that leafs fans and media so badly want him to follow the chia oilers strategy of trading skill for toughness.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lol, as if Dubas comes out and says we need D help and Willie has underwhelmed. I mean people taking quotes at face value I have a unique property to sell you. Too funny.

He said nothing, which he should.
People hear what they want.
I agree, it's pretty funny when people take anything these people(Management, Coaches, Players) say at face value.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Which is fine and dandy, unless you end up doing nothing. Sure you'll get the nothing that you aren't paying for, but doesn't really help anything.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I still love that 6.96 is rounded down to 6.9. The only example I can think of spanning all world history where 6 is rounded down is the Nylander contract.

I shake my head at posters like you that look for anything to complain about. Like rounding up or down from 6.9

Pretty sad. You know the sky is blue and fresh air does you good yes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad