Practice cancelled: Dubas to speak to media at 11:30

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Clarkson went from riding shotgun with Elias and Parise to some combination of Holland/McClement/Kulimen checking line. He was never a good hockey player. Just happened to score 30 one season out of nowhere.

Ferland played with Gaudreau and Monahan

Reactions: smitty10

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Dubas isnt going to talk himself more into a corner than hes already in regarding our defense. Every team already knows thats the one area we could use an upgrade at. GM's probably have a sky high asking price for the Leafs, wouldnt help bring down those prices if he straight admitted he needed to upgrade.

Not to mention, he'd gain nothing from ****ting on our Dmen.

who is saying pooping on the defense.
ALL he has to say is that we can always get better. the end. that's not painting himself into a corner, that's not signalling to anyone that we're desperate, but going tooolaaaloooo our defense is just fine, no rentals for us doesn't really fill the room with confidence either.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
ALL he has to say is that we can always get better. the end. that's not painting himself into a corner, that's not signalling to anyone that we're desperate, but going tooolaaaloooo our defense is just fine, no rentals for us doesn't really fill the room with confidence either.
that might be why the Leafs are slumping. too heartbroken that Dubas doesn't want to add a rental

Reactions: stickty111

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Had they been able to sign Probert, Pronger and Wilson in their primes would you still be using crap players as an example why they should keep playing woosy hockey

I would like to forget Nylander and Matthew's playoffs performance

Fast, skilled and soft for fast skilled and tough.....shouldn’t be too hard.

The Dubas years are going to be tough on you guys.

My suggestion is to try to get used to all the speed, skill, and winning as soon as possible.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

To be fair, we shouldn't be going for rentals anyway. It's generally a waste of assets. Someone like Jake Muzzin would fit very well. We'd have him for 2 playoff runs at a low hit, and would have the space to re-sign him after.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Not sure why him saying this is a big deal. That's actually smart by him because he's giving them a vote of confidence while he works to figure something out, otherwise he's just taking a dump on his own players and if he goes out and boldly claims that he must acquire a d-man, then other GMs smell the desperation and will raise their prices. Look at that moron Chiarelli who proclaimed to the world that the Oilers needed defense and then proceeds to get fleeced in every deal.

This is negotiating 101, you don't show your hand like that.

Regarding 'wont trade for actual help', that was never said and is twisting words.

again
all he has to say is. like in everything we can always do better. that's it.
like people feel like i want him to go. "Hear Ye, Hear Ye NHL, The leafs NEED A DEFENSEMAN!" There is a world of difference between showing your whole hand, and simply acknowledging that improvements can always be made. from where I sit, quite frankly, Dubas thinks this team is fine as it is, and it is not. so while everyone can be all "Oh yah Dubas is the bees knees because he's not showing his hand, to me - he's not even acknowledging that we can even improve.

I don't care if it's Dubas, or Lou, or that guy who built the 72 habs. if someone came out in regards to this team and is all like 'yeup, we're fine." and this has been an issue for years, it's gonna be an issue with me until it's fixed.

also. he has said he will not trade for rentals - so if the actual help = a rental, how is that twisting words? but whatever. i'm sorry i twisted his words.

Reactions: FraumBallard

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

My suggestion is to try to get used to all the speed, skill, and winning as soon as possible.

I would like to see winning in the post season. This team so far is trash tier in that category

Reactions: ToneDog

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Yes look at all that speed and skill out there on the Leafs that has nothing to do with Kyle. Hello in there.

The whole league is moving, you talk like you're on the cutting edge of something. Speed and no enforcers, wow, who knew? Embarrassing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
"A Ferland or Simmons type would help the team play a little heavier"

Translation - "Trade Nylander, Kapanen, Johnsson and a 1st to Edmonton for Lucic".

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
can we get him to try every game before e commit to him long term ? Is that to much to ask ?
You have reservations about signing matthews long term because of a small slump in the season that brings him to *only* 42 points in 34 games?

Reactions: stickty111

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto

Sucks. I was hoping for a grinder or two on each line as suggested by many on this board. We need Komarov back and given top line minutes again! Also, bring back Polak while we are at it. Also, we need to sign Wayne Simmonds to a contract similar to Lucic's. Who cares if he's declining. Paying top dollar for a Power forward Simmonds who will be 31 is a no brainer.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
To be fair, we shouldn't be going for rentals anyway. It's generally a waste of assets. Someone like Jake Muzzin would fit very well. We'd have him for 2 playoff runs at a low hit, and would have the space to re-sign him after.

well the point is, people laud Dubas for being all not painting himself in a corner.
so what if there is a rental who would be awesome and would help (and having him on the team could equal him signing on.
does Dubas not do it because he flat out said several times he doesn't want to chase rentals?

i'm not saying i want him to chase every pending free agent, but i want him to keep his eyes open etc. if a rental could improve our team he should be open to it,not just close the door because it's a "waste of asset" which is dumb. if it helps the team it's not a waste. and taking the gamble to enhance the team and hope they move forward doesn't have to = bad all the time.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
so far this young team has surprised everyone by making the playoffs so quickly, and by taking two favored, veteran teams to their limit in the two series they've played.

Just like the past, they wilted when pressure was high

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
"what we really need is players who can barely keep up on the 3rd lines of bad non-playoff teams and who their teams are more than willing to dump"
Exactly, your translators are in desperate need of repair.

Reactions: DarkKnight

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If Matthews is playing hurt, it should be announced and he should forego a trip to the all star game to heal.
The game is non contact.

He needs to go to recruit more All Stars to the Leafs.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
again
all he has to say is. like in everything we can always do better. that's it.
like people feel like i want him to go. "Hear Ye, Hear Ye NHL, The leafs NEED A DEFENSEMAN!" There is a world of difference between showing your whole hand, and simply acknowledging that improvements can always be made. from where I sit, quite frankly, Dubas thinks this team is fine as it is, and it is not. so while everyone can be all "Oh yah Dubas is the bees knees because he's not showing his hand, to me - he's not even acknowledging that we can even improve.

I don't care if it's Dubas, or Lou, or that guy who built the 72 habs. if someone came out in regards to this team and is all like 'yeup, we're fine." and this has been an issue for years, it's gonna be an issue with me until it's fixed.

also. he has said he will not trade for rentals - so if the actual help = a rental, how is that twisting words? but whatever. i'm sorry i twisted his words.
Except Dubas has repeatedly been talking about exploring ways to improve the team, and even just said so today. I just feel like you are making something out of nothing, we were going into a big season having just acquired Tavares and with high expectations, I don't see anything wrong with Dubas trying to keep the morale of his defensemen high and giving them a vote of confidence when media keeps being critical and repeatedly pointing them out as a problem and shitting all over them. Babcock does the exact same thing. That doesn't mean either of them haven't acknowledged that the team can play better; they're always trying to improve it. I'm not sure why that needs to be spelled out either.

Regarding your last point about rentals, it was pretty clear to me that Dubas was referring more to not being a fan of how much it costs for rentals, which I think is a legitimate point considering that teams pay high prices for players that most of the time, do not work out. I don't think this means that he will not look at rentals at all. I am sure if there is a deal that makes sense he will do it, and to me that is the most important thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad