Practice cancelled: Dubas to speak to media at 11:30

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If Dubas isn't on the phones looking for a D man, then we're in big trouble. Luckily he's a smart guy.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Here Here! table thumping, at least he gets it with regards to Jake. There is hope.

Just out of curiosity, if Dubas believed the opposite and was desperately looking to trade Gardiner before the deadline, how did you think he'd address Gardiner publicly? "Look, Gards has been awful for us and we've run out of patience on his nightly brain farts, hence I'm looking for trade suitors". Something like that?..

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
always remember how ecstatic leaf fans and media were when we signed clarkson.

and drafted schenn.

and signed komisarek.

never, ever forget. even though they always forget.

Ferland screams Clarkson to me too.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm glad Dubas is smart enough to realize that wasting futures to overpay for rental players is a fool's game. Leafs are going to be good for a long time

I totally agree. I've been thinking for some time now that rentals are almost always a bad idea. Like if you simply said no rentals ever, you would be doing quite well. The only exception would be if you know for a fact that this is absolutely the last year of your cup window, like say 15 years from now Marner, Rielly and Matthews have all announced that this will be retire at the end of the year and we're still a contender then fine, trade some 1st rounders for that last kick at the can, why not. Other than that, just say no.

Reactions: Finnish your Czech

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I'm glad Dubas is smart enough to realize that wasting futures to overpay for rental players is a fool's game. Leafs are going to be good for a long time

As long as our core 5 remains in tact we will be good for the long haul. Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Reilly, Freddy. I wouldn't trade them for any other top 5 in the NHL.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

and drafted schenn.

and signed komisarek.

I would like to forget Nylander and Matthew's playoffs performance

Reactions: Erdinger

member 300185

League-of-their-own-e1463782739924-800x400.jpg
Babcock to Nylander "you got to play better, be a gud pro"
Nylander starts crying
Babcock...."theres no crying in hockey, there's no crying in hockey"!!

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just out of curiosity, if Dubas believed the opposite and was desperately looking to trade Gardiner before the deadline, how did you think he'd address Gardiner publicly? "Look, Gards has been awful for us and we've run out of patience on his nightly brain farts, hence I'm looking for trade suitors". Something like that?..

I am ok with that. If he wants to trade for assets then do it. Once a player is getting the boo bird treatment in a town it's over and so Jake is over. It's not really fair to Jake and the fans are idiots, but, hey that's how it goes.

Pump him up and trade him. I fully support that. *I am a big Kadri and Jake fan, so.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I totally agree. I've been thinking for some time now that rentals are almost always a bad idea. Like if you simply said no rentals ever, you would be doing quite well. The only exception would be if you know for a fact that this is absolutely the last year of your cup window, like say 15 years from now Marner, Rielly and Matthews have all announced that this will be retire at the end of the year and we're still a contender then fine, trade some 1st rounders for that last kick at the can, why not. Other than that, just say no.
Of course they are almost always a bad idea. Only one team wins in any given year. For the rest any rental trade would be the wrong move. At the same time if you never take those chances to improve you may simply sit at "pretty good" until your team starts getting called "good but they never won anything." Just depends on what the actual goal is.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
People here don't want to admit I am right. Matthews is playing banged up bad. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a matching 11m deal from him before seasons out because of the risk involved. If he doesn't have that blanket and gets put off the roster for a second time, he will have multiple injuries in the past 3 years. He even played hurt his rookie season.

The conference is the Water makes wet statement and attempt to pretend he is doing things. Alternatively he has a big trade or some trades around the corner. I don't think Dubas seems very proactive though.
If Matthews is playing hurt, it should be announced and he should forego a trip to the all star game to heal.

Reactions: ACC1224

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I didn’t know all toughness was slow and anyone willing to forecheck/cycle hard was Clarkson. Bummer.

Gritphobia.
Symptoms include thinking everyone is Colton Orr and going into the corners is for face punchers.
Wilson says hi, a total beast in the playoffs and he can skate. Everyone knows slow is gone, to say it like it's some profound thought, well, try to keep up. It's a speed game, add in some grit, you got yourself a player. Last I checked there are still corners on the ice.

Reactions: ACC1224

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The whole rental market is designed for teams to overpay, often with nothing to show for it. them and signing UFAs (other than elite ones) for huge contracts are the two biggest areas that you see GMs make big mistakes. Conversely, you never see teams unhappy when they end up with too much homegrown young talent that can fill in and constantly improve the team

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If Matthews is playing hurt, it should be announced and he should forego a trip to the all star game to heal.

Not all injuries require rest, in some cases rest causes you to seize up more and so that wouldn't be the best of ideas.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I am ok with that. If he wants to trade for assets then do it. Once a player is getting the boo bird treatment in a town it's over and so Jake is over. It's not really fair to Jake and the fans are idiots, but, hey that's how it goes.

Pump him up and trade him. I fully support that. *I am a big Kadri and Jake fan, so.

My point was not to take a side and debate the correct move (as has been done ad nauseum in about every thread), my point was that literally nothing can be gleaned from the GM's public opinions on currently rostered players. That answer is the only answer he should give on either side.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006

and drafted schenn.

and signed komisarek.

Had they been able to sign Probert, Pronger and Wilson in their primes would you still be using crap players as an example why they should keep playing woosy hockey?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Rentals rarely work out, just as often they mess up your chemistry or never find their footing. GM's feel they have to do something, but I think that sentiment is changing and glad to hear Dubas isn't a fan. There is still the opportunity to grab a guy with some term and make a real hockey trade, as evidence with TB last year. We should be open to that, but certainly not mortgage the future for a rental. Hard pass.

Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad