Practice cancelled: Dubas to speak to media at 11:30

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Did Kuch miss 30 games? Plus he ultimately signed a deal that looks good for the team. Our GM tried to negotiate hard and ultimately got bent over. So it's like a double loss.

I don't get how you can say he got bent over.

Just try to think about this logically: Willy didn't sign in July, August, September, October or November because Dubas wouldn't give him the annual salary he wanted. How is that NOT Dubas aiming for a value that looked good for the team?

Kucherov's on the record saying he wished he had Nylander's patience/stones those years ago. Kucherov blinked. Dubas did everything to lean on and make Nylander blink and he didn't. He can't force Willy to sign against his will. Dubas showed he was willing to let Willy sit the season: it was Willy who made the frantic phone call with 30 minutes to go.

Dubas drew a hard line, stuck to his guns, and got Willy under $7m for Years 2-6 of the deal. Everybody talks about Pastrnak: his cap % adjusted for 2018-19 is $7.07m, so Willy came in under that valuation as well.

Yzerman played hardball with Druoin and then fleeced Montreal in a trade. If our GM ever fleeced anyone in anything I'll be happy to heap praise on him.

The trade was fair-ish. It wasn't a fleecing. It was a #2 overall pick for a #9 overall pick. Logically, the #2 should be more valuable than the #9. Drouin's on pace for 60 points this season, now that Montreal is using him correctly. Both teams benefited.

I will fully admit I was against the Dubas hire. People come on here to read my opinion on things, so I provide that.

This is hilariously self-indulgent.

I could shy away and say something like "I have no opinion", but that's not me. At the end of the day, I'm a fan of the team, so I'm happy to be wrong if it means we have success. But we're in a tailspin largely because of decisions our young GM made. I feel the organization would have been better off with Lou and Hunter. So far that appears to be the correct take. Since we're stuck with our young GM, I hope I'm wrong. But I would be the first to admit if I am. I'm not going to argue a position just to say I'm right. If our young GM made a trade that fleeced another team and that player won the Conn Smythe, I wouldnt argue it was a bad trade just because of who made it.

Tailspin is a bit strong. We're in a slump. All the underlying stats point to us still being a top team in the league, but our shooting % and save % have inexplicably dried up since Christmas. How is that on Dubas? This feels like one of those situations where you're silent and non-scathing towards Dubas when we're good, but ready to pounce and mis-attribute blame at the first sign of a struggle.

Bringing up his age again. Your ageism is showing.

Regarding Willy, look up my previous posts on the subject, I highly recommend them. I have laid out on multiple occasions where I feel our young GM went wrong in the process and the final outcome. Essentially I would have shown the player more respect and not tried to negotiate through the media. I would have also held firm on fair market value, although I suspect it would have never got to that point.

I have zero interest going through the flaming garbage pile of malcontent and self-pissery that is your post history.

How did Dubas negotiate through the media? That's nonsensical. All he ever said was "We continue to be in talks with Willy. He's an important player to us. We continue to have productive conversations with his agent. We want him here." At no point did either side say anything derogatory toward the other side. It was by all accounts a civil negotiation.

Every signing is different. The point is they were high first round picks, just like nylander and they were signed to team friendly deals given their production and potential. Lou deserves tons of credit for the work he did there.

He does deserve credit, but if all signings are different then why are you abandoning this line of thinking when it comes to Willy? Why does the context not matter here? You're asking Dubas to perform miracles here.

Look how many one goal games (minus ENs) we've lost. A few of those games flipping the other way make a huge difference at the end of the year. Could be the difference between in or out or home ice. Maybe you don't value those things, but I do.

Once again, a simplistic take on the situation. So many things can go a team's way or not in any given game. Over the span of a season, those things tend to even out. You don't get to just go back through the season's results and point at a specific goal or two that went in and assign blame for why we lost home ice, without also accounting for a last minute goal for that got us to overtime in a game we won, for example. Bounces come and go. You don't get to cherry-pick stuff that suits your narrative, no matter how bad you want to be right.

I'm glad and appreciate that you follow so closely.

More self-indulgence. You're like a caricature of yourself at this point.

I won't be following closely going forward. Or at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Apologist

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I know you don't, because you are trying to fault our GM for losing one goal games. that's not realistic. One goal games are not a good predictor of future success, that's not really up for debate
what about when you waive a better goalie to bring up a sieve?

Could that effect 1 goal games?

Yes :)

Reactions: Keanu Reeves

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Best thing Kyle could have done was call a press conference updating the fans on literally nothing concerning Mathews and Marners contract status....Babcock needed the distraction and asked if Kyle could cover for him with a distraction till allstar break.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
6.25 is way too high for the Leafs to be paying a #4D with their cap issues

Gards takes an extremely team friendly deal or he walks.

As much as I presume him dropping to a lesser role might be better for the team, our coach is also Babcock, and he has a history of putting players too high on a lineup or too low.

If hes still a leaf, he better be playing on a system where he can be used properly and not relied on when things need to be shutdown.

Im still on the move him boat. With a system tweak we can escape our blue line without the gaff ridden Gardiner.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Best thing Kyle could have done was call a press conference updating the fans on literally nothing concerning Mathews and Marners contract status....Babcock needed the distraction and asked if Kyle could cover for him with a distraction till allstar break.

Distraction from what? What are you talking about?

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I don't get how you can say he got bent over.

Just try to think about this logically: Willy didn't sign in July, August, September, October or November because Dubas wouldn't give him the annual salary he wanted. How is that NOT Dubas aiming for a value that looked good for the team?

Kucherov's on the record saying he wished he had Nylander's patience/stones those years ago. Kucherov blinked. Dubas did everything to lean on and make Nylander blink and he didn't. He can't force Willy to sign against his will. Dubas showed he was willing to let Willy sit the season: it was Willy who made the frantic phone call with 30 minutes to go.

Dubas drew a hard line, stuck to his guns, and got Willy under $7m for Years 2-6 of the deal. Everybody talks about Pastrnak: his cap % adjusted for 2018-19 is $7.07m, so Willy came in under that valuation as well.

The trade was fair-ish. It wasn't a fleecing. It was a #2 overall pick for a #9 overall pick. Logically, the #2 should be more valuable than the #9. Drouin's on pace for 60 points this season, now that Montreal is using him correctly. Both teams benefited.

This is hilariously self-indulgent.

Tailspin is a bit strong. We're in a slump. All the underlying stats point to us still being a top team in the league, but our shooting % and save % have inexplicably dried up since Christmas. How is that on Dubas? This feels like one of those situations where you're silent and non-scathing towards Dubas when we're good, but ready to pounce and mis-attribute blame at the first sign of a struggle.

Bringing up his age again. Your ageism is showing.

I have zero interest going through the flaming garbage pile of malcontent and self-pissery that is your post history.

How did Dubas negotiate through the media? That's nonsensical. All he ever said was "We continue to be in talks with Willy. He's an important player to us. We continue to have productive conversations with his agent. We want him here." At no point did either side say anything derogatory toward the other side. It was by all accounts a civil negotiation.

He does deserve credit, but if all signings are different then why are you abandoning this line of thinking when it comes to Willy? Why does the context not matter here? You're asking Dubas to perform miracles here.

Once again, a simplistic take on the situation. So many things can go a team's way or not in any given game. Over the span of a season, those things tend to even out. You don't get to just go back through the season's results and point at a specific goal or two that went in and assign blame for why we lost home ice, without also accounting for a last minute goal for that got us to overtime in a game we won, for example. Bounces come and go. You don't get to cherry-pick stuff that suits your narrative, no matter how bad you want to be right.

More self-indulgence. You're like a caricature of yourself at this point.

I won't be following closely going forward. Or at all.

I don't believe you.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Did Kuch miss 30 games? Plus he ultimately signed a deal that looks good for the team. Our GM tried to negotiate hard and ultimately got bent over. So it's like a double loss.

Yzerman played hardball with Druoin and then fleeced Montreal in a trade. If our GM ever fleeced anyone in anything I'll be happy to heap praise on him.

I will fully admit I was against the Dubas hire. People come on here to read my opinion on things, so I provide that. I could shy away and say something like "I have no opinion", but that's not me. At the end of the day, I'm a fan of the team, so I'm happy to be wrong if it means we have success. But we're in a tailspin largely because of decisions our young GM made. I feel the organization would have been better off with Lou and Hunter. So far that appears to be the correct take. Since we're stuck with our young GM, I hope I'm wrong. But I would be the first to admit if I am. I'm not going to argue a position just to say I'm right. If our young GM made a trade that fleeced another team and that player won the Conn Smythe, I wouldnt argue it was a bad trade just because of who made it.

Regarding Willy, look up my previous posts on the subject, I highly recommend them. I have laid out on multiple occasions where I feel our young GM went wrong in the process and the final outcome. Essentially I would have shown the player more respect and not tried to negotiate through the media. I would have also held firm on fair market value, although I suspect it would have never got to that point.

Every signing is different. The point is they were high first round picks, just like nylander and they were signed to team friendly deals given their production and potential. Lou deserves tons of credit for the work he did there.

Look how many one goal games (minus ENs) we've lost. A few of those games flipping the other way make a huge difference at the end of the year. Could be the difference between in or out or home ice. Maybe you don't value those things, but I do.

The ego has landed.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Lets all agree on one thing, we have to take into effect, the cap. If there were no cap, we would have a whole team of fat willy's.

Pat Burns was the best coach Toronto ever had. Bar none. He had the whole team playing 200 feet hockey. Babcock can sure talk about it, but to actually see it? hahahahahah.

Nonono.

Pat Burns was a great coach for that time but others won cups.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

I will fully admit I was against the Dubas hire. People come on here to read my opinion on things, so I provide that. I could shy away and say something like "I have no opinion", but that's not me. At the end of the day, I'm a fan of the team, so I'm happy to be wrong if it means we have success. But we're in a tailspin largely because of decisions our young GM made. I feel the organization would have been better off with Lou and Hunter. So far that appears to be the correct take. Since we're stuck with our young GM, I hope I'm wrong. But I would be the first to admit if I am. I'm not going to argue a position just to say I'm right. If our young GM made a trade that fleeced another team and that player won the Conn Smythe, I wouldnt argue it was a bad trade just because of who made it.

So based on this I am going to assume then that you will not give Dubas much credit if the Leafs (hypothetically) win the cup if Dubas not make a single move the rest of the way. I say that because that's the ultimate goal and if you won't own up to being wrong about Dubas as the GM with this current team winning a cup, Dubas will have to prove to you through his future moves that you were wrong.

With that being said I'm genuinely curious as to what moves could sway your opinion.

Presuming that you want to see this team reaming cup-competitive, the RFA's this summer are paramount. So, in your opinion, what are good contracts (in term and AAV) would you be looking to ink Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, and Johnsson?

On top of that, to alleviate cap concerns would you: Let Gardiner walk? Try to move Marleau, even if it means a bit of salary retention? Trade Zaitsev? Or are there another names you would move?

What would you do to improve the blue line: Sign a stopgap (if so, what are some names) in UFA? Trade for a rental/contract expiring next year? Or make a bigger trade for an impact blue liner that has control?

If you are making a trade, which prospects/assets would you use? Are the likes of Liljegren, 1st rounders/picks, Sandin, Bracco, or any other prospects more expendable to you?

What other positions would you shore up with free agency?

These are some of the top priorities for the Leafs to address, where we can really gauge Dubas' work so I'm interested in hearing what sort of moves you would see as good ones.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
So based on this I am going to assume then that you will not give Dubas much credit if the Leafs (hypothetically) win the cup if Dubas not make a single move the rest of the way. I say that because that's the ultimate goal and if you won't own up to being wrong about Dubas as the GM with this current team winning a cup, Dubas will have to prove to you through his future moves that you were wrong.

With that being said I'm genuinely curious as to what moves could sway your opinion.

Presuming that you want to see this team reaming cup-competitive, the RFA's this summer are paramount. So, in your opinion, what are good contracts (in term and AAV) would you be looking to ink Matthews, Marner, Kapanen, and Johnsson?

On top of that, to alleviate cap concerns would you: Let Gardiner walk? Try to move Marleau, even if it means a bit of salary retention? Trade Zaitsev? Or are there another names you would move?

What would you do to improve the blue line: Sign a stopgap (if so, what are some names) in UFA? Trade for a rental/contract expiring next year? Or make a bigger trade for an impact blue liner that has control?

If you are making a trade, which prospects/assets would you use? Are the likes of Liljegren, 1st rounders/picks, Sandin, Bracco, or any other prospects more expendable to you?

These are some of the top priorities for the Leafs to address, where we can really gauge Dubas' work so I'm interested in hearing what sort of moves you would see as good ones.
Good luck getting a straight answer.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Odd, the Leafs win a game and these questions remain unanswered. I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad :laugh:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh for sure.

But it still doesn't mean that I hope that we are done with trading away multiple prospect's along with a 1st and a 2nd for 40 some games for a player on the edge of retirement or UFA
Hope and what they may actually do can be two very different things.
Many hoped they would cash Bozak and JVR in last year when reality dictated that wouldn't happen.

I believe that if they think that one player can make a huge difference for a playoff push, they will pay the price.
I don't think we need to worry about that this year.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hope and what they may actually do can be two very different things.
Many hoped they would cash Bozak and JVR in last year when reality dictated that wouldn't happen.

I believe that if they think that one player can make a huge difference for a playoff push, they will pay the price.
I don't think we need to worry about that this year.

So you think Gardiner is being moved?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad