Post-Game Talk: Poor discipline and poor reffing is a bad combination

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
At the end of the day the boys need to play better. Make Korpisalo work. More rebounds more getting to the net and less fancy perimeter play. The wingers need to step up. And Nurse needs to stupid playing brain dead on the PK

Reactions: midnightcopper

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
If Edmonton won two OTs on a pp the main board would just shut this site down. People would be livid hope the boys can shit kick this pathetic trapping team

Keep your sticks to yourself or these giant vags will fall all over the place I am going to slow mo every flop later.

Thats all they can control. Don't touch those giant p***yes
the problem is that you need a killer instinct and to play on that edge in order to play the style that beats the trap. You can't tell the boys to just not touch the kings but play the dump n thump style that's necessary. They need to play physical and pissed off, just need to find a better balance of discipline and emotion

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I would say more of the point of Georges is how one sided the calls were.
If you're gonna give Draisaitl a penalty for that, why isn't Danault getting the same treatment? Why is Kostin's penalty called, but Danault keeping McDavid down is alright? Why does Nuge get a slash in OT, when Yamamoto literally got slashed a moment ago? Why does Bouchard get a penalty for hitting Moore near the face in G1 that allowed the kings to tie it up, but Desharnais getting punched straight in the face from Iafallo in G2 results in no call?

Like I stated last night, some of the penalties that the Oilers caused were inflicted upon themselves, but the officiating has been awfully one sided this series thus far. That OT high stick was also another screw job by this incompetent league. I don't think at this point anybody can say the officiating is fine. At most, the officiating gets worse and worse every year.
Not directed at you. But to the general concept that application of rules or standards is fair. Really if anybody here has lived a charmed life where unfair things haven't occurred I feel good for you. For most of us we get unfair in some aspect every week in work lives. Maybe we get it from some friends or family. Maybe CRA is unfair..

For any of us punters something bad and unexplainable occurs and its up to us to just move on, get on with things, persevere, keep working harder, keep doing the best one can.

Thats it. Where does this notion come from that things are fair? That the world is fair. Maybe be thats a real disconnected perspective but its not an inaccurate worldview. Its not accurate at all in the world of sports either. Sports is unfair. From the moment kids get selected in a schoolground. ;)

So whats required is for the team to stop bitching, for the coach to stop just playing to the fans and actually instead trying to curry some kind of favor from officials in a close series. Good coachs manage to find connection with officials and even manipulate calls. Every inch you can get.

From game one on with Desharnais losing it on the ice and with officials the gloves were off. Theres certain things you do, and don't in life. If you do them, you pay consequence. that often being targeted and being the point of scrutiny after. Officials take numbers and they probably didn't like what Desharnais was doing at the end of game 1 or that none of the coaching staff or players even bothered to intervene as Desharnais was completely blowing a gasket, pointing fingers, raging. Its the responsibility of the team, and each of its players to be in control, and if anybody isn't you help to gather their senses. The message the Oilers sent to the officials after game 1 was effectively F U.

Whether that is justified is irrelevant. you don't do it.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsi

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We are really missing Janmark. Our PK struggled before he was called up, and our current PK reminds me of how it struggled before.

Sometimes I wonder if it's just bad luck. PK is low event, measured in a handful of events in a series, so it is susceptible to that

Reactions: Sheikyerbouti

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Just realized there is 3 off days between games 5 and 6. That’s rough for a team that usually takes a game or two to get back into it after a break.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now specifically with the still rook coach (he's not, but it seems he will always be like this) Listen to the post game interview. Does Woody think he's being clever? Does he think he's stopping short of calling out the officials? No, he's stating as a point of fact that "the best player in hockey was pointing for a call" and the officials saw it different then "the best player in hockey" I mean thats something you can think in your head but Woody IS calling out the officials with that. Really clearly. Now from a fan perspective a lot of people want him to. But its just playing and pandering to fans. Its not strategic, its not going to result in anything good.

When you call out authority its often met with resistance and more of what you complained about in the first place. In the year 2023 at least authority can often be reactive in response to criticism. Again the Oilers org doing themselves no favors.

As a last mention this notion that the Oilers never get calls going their way is odd. How many times this season were the Oilers successful getting goals called back. Around 15. 3 just in one game which is an NHL record. How many goal challenges in regular season did the Oilers lose?

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Too many excuses from this team and the fans. How about the team kills a penalty in overtime; 0 for 2 is unacceptable. How about the team drives the net and creates some greasy goals? For the love of god stop with the shit after the whistle, its clear that the refs are going to call it. Even if the refs seem to be letting some of it go on the Kings side, you have to know that and take it into account at this point. Losers complain, winners overcome. Hopefully this team can regroup mentally and stop with the stupid shit. This series was always going to be 6-7 games, LA is a very good team despite what the mainboard fans post. They're beatable though, but only if the Oilers stop playing cutesy and stop letting the Kings get them off their game.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
It has def been a frustrating 3 games. 3 games that IMO EDM has deserved and should be up 3-0. But that's hockey and why there are so many upsets. Many factors go into it. And we've seen it all this series. No need to rehash everything that everyone has beaten to death by now. All the team can do is just put it behind them and focus on a must win game.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I think the solution is evident.the calls are not going our way playing the kings style. So stop playing a style you are not built to play. Start taking more chances and use your speed to attack at every point. Beat them 7-6 if you have too. The only saving this series now is if we open it up IMO.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Which would be completely unprofessional. Any ref doing that should be fired. But of course it won't happen.
Disagree. This is a league that has crackdown on infractions memos, briefings on a regular basis. The NHL does not apply its rulebook strictly on a uniform level. The NHL applies rules on a up and down level where thresholds change without explanation or calls that were calls last week are not necessarily now as they're focusing on something else.

The NHL is not professional in application of rules, player safety or any of that and starting from the top. This is a league still arguing in several lawsuits and even of deceased players that there is no known connection between say NHL hockey and CTE.

The NHL also even has a framework for differential calls and applications based on priors and prior suspensions, history etc. But which is highly inconsistent from player to player. The NHL plays clear favorites from player to player and always have.

The Officials are the long arm observable end of a league that doesn't apply rules and standards adequately or competently.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Imo trying to befriend the refs is wasted effort. They are narcissists and our players to them are not important. After gaining a lead and getting managed, we keep sitting back waiting for makeup calls and balanced reffing that will never come. Play hard whistle to whistle. Don't engage anyone after the whistle. Play hard and score so many goals the refs can't take it from you. Game1, Period1 all series long. Let Doughty get on their nerves crying so much.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
It is garbage and chickenshit hockey.
If the Oilers get the lead next game, they should 1000% do the Flyers and just hang back for minutes at a time in the dzone. This series is a farce and the Oilers should treat it like one. Pass the puck between the defensemen and if the Kings want to 1-3-1 with no pressure so be it.

Edit: keep the forwards between the red and blue line tight to the defensemen and pass the puck around, the NHL can't claim that the Oilers aren't trying to attack and blow the play down.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsi and Oilhawks

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Disagree. This is a league that has crackdown on infractions memos, briefings on a regular basis. The NHL does not apply its rulebook strictly on a uniform level. The NHL applies rules on a up and down level where thresholds change without explanation or calls that were calls last week are not necessarily now as they're focusing on something else.

The NHL is not professional in application of rules, player safety or any of that and starting from the top. This is a league still arguing in several lawsuits and even of deceased players that there is no known connection between say NHL hockey and CTE.

The NHL also even has a framework for differential calls and applications based on priors and prior suspensions, history etc. But which is highly inconsistent from player to player. The NHL plays clear favorites from player to player and always have.

The Officials are the long arm observable end of a league that doesn't apply rules and standards adequately or competently.
If you think a ref calling penalties in the playoffs against a player simply because he was critical of what was obviously a very poorly called game is professional then we have a very different view of what professional means. This may be just a game but it is also a multi-billion dollar business. Just as player have a responsibility to be disciplined so do the referees.

Now what I do agree with you is that the League is responsible for how games are officiated and that there is no uniform application of the rules. I don't believe there is a mandate to help certain specific teams over others as some do. What I believe is that there is a culture that sees how the rules are enforced as being a mechanism for equalizing discrepancies between teams and players. As I have said, the refs are fully aware for example that the Oiler pp has been the best of all-time. They are also aware that if they called offenses vs McDavid like they do against some plug that it would be a massive plus for the Oilers. (And for the record this is true of other stars as well.) Danault sitting on McDavid is ok since you have to give him some chance to equalize the match-up. Kostin sitting on some plug is a penalty because it clearly violates the rules.

We do know though that certain players are dealt with differently. Some more lenient, some stricter. In teh Anaheim series when Perry got away with blatant interference on Talbot, the ref literally admitted that he let it go just because that is how Perry plays and you wouldn't want to stop a vet from doing what he does.

My problem is that by trying not to impact the play they impact the play. In the Vegas-Winnipeg game there was a blatant hook just before the Vegas goal that was right in front of the ref. He let it go probably because the Jets completed the clear so you could argue that it did not impact the play. But before the next whistle Vegas scores. Had the hook been called that goal does not happen. My guess is that in the first period with Vegas up. That hook gets called.

In the end though it is what it is. The Oilers need to simply overcome the refereeing and beat these guys.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
If the Oilers get the lead next game, they should 1000% do the Flyers and just hang back for minutes at a time in the dzone. This series is a farce and the Oilers should treat it like one. Pass the puck between the defensemen and if the Kings want to 1-3-1 with no pressure so be it.
*TWEET*
" You can't besmirch the LA Kings system. 2 minutes, Edmonton bench minor. Delay of game."

If you think a ref calling penalties in the playoffs against a player simply because he was critical of what was obviously a very poorly called game is professional then we have a very different view of what professional means. This may be just a game but it is also a multi-billion dollar business. Just as player have a responsibility to be disciplined so do the referees.

Now what I do agree with you is that the League is responsible for how games are officiated and that there is no uniform application of the rules. I don't believe there is a mandate to help certain specific teams over others as some do. What I believe is that there is a culture that sees how the rules are enforced as being a mechanism for equalizing discrepancies between teams and players. As I have said, the refs are fully aware for example that the Oiler pp has been the best of all-time. They are also aware that if they called offenses vs McDavid like they do against some plug that it would be a massive plus for the Oilers. (And for the record this is true of other stars as well.) Danault sitting on McDavid is ok since you have to give him some chance to equalize the match-up. Kostin sitting on some plug is a penalty because it clearly violates the rules.

We do know though that certain players are dealt with differently. Some more lenient, some stricter. In teh Anaheim series when Perry got away with blatant interference on Talbot, the ref literally admitted that he let it go just because that is how Perry plays and you wouldn't want to stop a vet from doing what he does.

My problem is that by trying not to impact the play they impact the play. In the Vegas-Winnipeg game there was a blatant hook just before the Vegas goal that was right in front of the ref. He let it go probably because the Jets completed the clear so you could argue that it did not impact the play. But before the next whistle Vegas scores. Had the hook been called that goal does not happen. My guess is that in the first period with Vegas up. That hook gets called.

In the end though it is what it is. The Oilers need to simply overcome the refereeing and beat these guys.

Referee bias on players is real.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
*TWEET*
" You can't besmirch the LA Kings system. 2 minutes, Edmonton bench minor. Delay of game."
I get that your joking but they should do this. Time and space is the most important thing in hockey. They are giving it to us, devise set plays and tell all the players to only advance when they see an advantage. The Kings are using the Oilers attack mentality against them. Use the negatives of the system against your opponent, create advantages against a set defense. There is no plan B currently. The Kings at are face value.

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Too many excuses from this team and the fans. How about the team kills a penalty in overtime; 0 for 2 is unacceptable. How about the team drives the net and creates some greasy goals? For the love of god stop with the shit after the whistle, its clear that the refs are going to call it. Even if the refs seem to be letting some of it go on the Kings side, you have to know that and take it into account at this point. Losers complain, winners overcome. Hopefully this team can regroup mentally and stop with the stupid shit. This series was always going to be 6-7 games, LA is a very good team despite what the mainboard fans post. They're beatable though, but only if the Oilers stop playing cutesy and stop letting the Kings get them off their game.
Thank you. YES to all points.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of sad and deluded Oilers' fans on here, who are very vocal.

Here's the thing: When you are a championship level team, you don't make excuses like "the league is trying to call more penalties against us." You WIN.

Way back in the day, when the superior Oilers were down 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2 in games to Calgary in 1986, the fanbase wasn't moaning about penalties and power-plays and conspiracies. (And this was shortly after the League GMs had literally conspired to punish the Oilers' success by eliminating 4-on-4 after coincidental minor penalties.) Instead, the fanbase said, "Coffey has to be better. Kurri has to score. Messier needs to do more." Etc. The Oilers lost the series, but nobody blamed the referees.

In 1990, when the Oilers were down 3-1 in games to Winnipeg, the fanbase didn't moan about penalties (the Oil lost game four in overtime, due to a Jets' power-play, after a cheap "hooking" call against Edmonton). Instead, the fanbase said, "Messier needs to step it up; Tikkanen needs to be smarter; Simpson needs to score; Ranford needs to make some saves", etc. The Oilers came back from 3-1 down and won the series (and the Cup).

So, my point is: If you want to sound exactly like Maple Leafs' fans, keep blaming the officials and League conspiracy. Alternatively, if you don't want to look pathetic and you want to exude an intelligent and "champions"-like fan perspective, ask the players to play better.

(BTW, the Oilers are going to win the series, I think.)

Reactions: Mav3rick07

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
The Oilers should take a look at the Lightning. Some questionable (non-) calls by the refs, but they continue the pressure and play tough throughout. Don't let the atmosphere influence your game. Don't let them get into your head.

Edit: well, that changed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad