Post-Game Talk: Poor discipline and poor reffing is a bad combination

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
4 of the 6 guys on the top two lines are combine for one goal

Yikes
Yes
Hyman hasn't looked great in over a month.
Kane barely played half a season and it shows
McDavid had a two goal outburst but has been effectively shut down the rest of the time.
Nuge-nothing- but I'm wondering to what extent the PK is affecting the rest of his game.
Yams is not a top six player..

Also, a real curse is waking up and the first thought to come to mind is the Oiler's loss from the night before...OOF

Reactions: tardigrade81

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I don't know what magic potion Hyman drank before the playoffs, but he looks like Jesse Puljujarvi out there. Just an absolute non-factor and the puck dies on his stick. Unless he's injured, of course. Nuge as well. We need these guys to step up if we're gonna win 4 against LA.

Kane is obviously still dealing with the major hand injury so he gets a pass.

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
Skinner isn't the reason the Oilers aren't producing. He ist just average. The Avalanche have won a Stanley Cup last year with average goaltending. The problem are the top 9 and stupid penalties.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The thing that bothers me most about this is, if things go sideways and they exit in the 1st round, the critics will pile on (even more) about McDavid and Drai being “wasted” on the Oilers, who are clearly incapable of surrounding them with a capable, contending team. This is bullshit.

McDavid didn’t really show up for the first 2 games and Drai shot his team in the foot in game 3 with a completely unnecessary and selfish play. The surrounding cast needs to pick it up as well but this is the most talented and capable Oilers team I’ve seen since the 80s and they have it in them to be true contenders. They are beating themselves but if they continue to do so and make an early exit, the narrative of the Oilers somehow “failing” McDavid and Drai will intensify.

Every team has a weakness or two and the Oilers are no exception (goaltending could be better & defence could be deeper), but Holland has done his job and built a very credible contender. It’s in the players’ hands now…
I think people need to tune out the 'narrative.' It will always be there and something beyond ability to control. There's always going to be an external discussion about whether McDavid and Draisaitl will stay in Edmonton. It's driven by jealousy whether Leaf fans who haven't won since 1967; Flamer fans who have never had super elite talent but have been generationally abused by Oiler ones; other fanbases that feel the Oilers were unfairly gifted great talent via the lottery; media peeps who stir up emotional reactions to secure eyeballs and impressions which translates into money.

Oiler ownership have never scrimped on paying their elite talent. Their GM is player friendly and openly engages with his super elite leadership group on personnel decisions. This franchise can throw both money and longest term to retain its super elites. Both McDavid and Draisaitl have fully embraced winning over personal accolades and by their public record align with Holland's mantra that winning a Cup requires multiple years of making the playoffs, chipping away at it each and every year, until everything clicks. I'm not sure either feel there is a quick fix leaving this franchise to seek a perceived cheat code faster way elsewhere.

This series is a contrast of two divergent styles. The Oil have led for all of about 7 minutes but have been stifled by opposition great goaltending, a boring, effective defensive structure, very poor discipline and bad penalties enflamed by mediocre and erratic refereeing. The Kings were never going to be a gimme putt. We'll see how much the Oilers have learned with their backs firmly against the wall. This series is still close despite the overwhelming majority of the Oiler lineup being stuck in neutral.

Oil have their hands full. Lots of glass empty elements to think they won't or can't come back from 2-1 series deficit. But also a lot of glass half full reasons for hope with a largely underperforming roster largely holding its own with much more available across everyone in the lineup including the two super elites. We all wait to see what transpires.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013
Neutral observer, but just wanted to say that something really should be done about the way teams like LA play. It's barely hockey at this point. Long stretches of not even trying to create any real offence and just hoping for a counterattack or the puck to deflect in off of something. It's the second largest US market and that's the product they are providing to the fans.

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
I agree with his opinion but he really shouldn’t be the one saying this.

Guy has discipline problems AND now that he’s said this the refs will call even more things on him.
"Guy has discipline problems AND now that he’s said this the refs will call even more things on him."

Too be honest they are/were going to do that anyway.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
The only way to keep fairweather sunbelt fanbases engaged is to hand them the officiating advantage or turn a blind eye towards obvious cap circumvention. Canadians and fans of teams the NHL doesn’t give a shit about that have loyal fanbases anyhow (ex Sabres, Wild, Islanders, Blues etc) are better off voting with lack of viewership

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Neutral observer, but just wanted to say that something really should be done about the way teams like LA play. It's barely hockey at this point. Long stretches of not even trying to create any real offence and just hoping for a counterattack or the puck to deflect in off of something. It's the second largest US market and that's the product they are providing to the fans.
It is garbage and chickenshit hockey.

Reactions: bellagiobob

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
The NHL playoffs sometimes look more like Rollerball than a hockey game. A lot of it isn't exciting to watch but the same can be said of a marathon and that's what the NHL playoffs are.

Players of today look more like linebackers (look at clips of the 60's and 70's to see change) and they are very well conditioned and fast so clogging up the middle isn't a big challenge. A simple solution would be to play the 3rd period with 4 on 4 hockey to generate some open ice and excitement but of course it won't ever happen.

Reactions: bellagiobob

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
My goodness!

I'm not even an Oilers fan, but how the hell does everyone let the refs get away with such bias reffing!?

Why doesnt the Canadian media say something about this botched ref job? They did it back on '09 after questionable calls that favoured the Caps during the Wash/MTL first round series.

Again I'm not an Oilers fan, but as a fan of a Canadian team I really think the balls is in our medias court to speak up about this and give an answer as to why Canadian teams can't win the Cup anymore....

Wreckus

Feb 21, 2016
My goodness!

I'm not even an Oilers fan, but how the hell does everyone let the refs get away with such bias reffing!?

Why doesnt the Canadian media say something about this botched ref job? They did it back on '09 after questionable calls that favoured the Caps during the Wash/MTL first round series.

Again I'm not an Oilers fan, but as a fan of a Canadian team I really think the balls is in our medias court to speak up about this and give an answer as to why Canadian teams can't win the Cup anymore....
Unless it happens to Toronto and maybe Montreal, Sportsnet and the rest of the media will jack squat about it.

IMO, Media and everyone else outside of Edmonton hates us because we got McDavid and won't stop until he leaves Edmonton.

Next year, the Oilers should have us against them theme.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
My goodness!

I’m still salty about Talbots pad being held open by Kesler in 2016/2017 leading to the game tying goal, and being told the oilers had it coming.

It’s exhausting when poor officiating directly leads to goals that otherwise wouldn’t have happened, but everyone says you’re dumb for blaming the refs because “they wouldn’t have won anyway” despite you know… leading at the time.

Nothing like losing by 1 goal and being told the bad call that directly resulted in 1 goal being allowed that shouldn’t have, doesn’t actually matter.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I would love to see the Oilers up 8-0 8-1 late in the 3rd with 3 -4 minutes left and start diving and snapping their heads backs tapping the shin pads of their own players like Draisaitl soft tap Make the last 3 minutes turn into an hour with their theatrics and make a mockery of the Refs and for the whole hockey world to see

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
One play was a check with McD having the puck. The other was a whack AFTER play, and after a goal.

Big Georges isn't exactly a great hockey analyst. Really I wouldn't buy a car from him.

That aside Danault is sneaky with his infractions and Drai isn't at all.

I would say more of the point of Georges is how one sided the calls were.
If you're gonna give Draisaitl a penalty for that, why isn't Danault getting the same treatment? Why is Kostin's penalty called, but Danault keeping McDavid down is alright? Why does Nuge get a slash in OT, when Yamamoto literally got slashed a moment ago? Why does Bouchard get a penalty for hitting Moore near the face in G1 that allowed the kings to tie it up, but Desharnais getting punched straight in the face from Iafallo in G2 results in no call?

Like I stated last night, some of the penalties that the Oilers caused were inflicted upon themselves, but the officiating has been awfully one sided this series thus far. That OT high stick was also another screw job by this incompetent league. I don't think at this point anybody can say the officiating is fine. At most, the officiating gets worse and worse every year.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
McDavid scores 2 goals but is -1? So that means he was on for all 3 of the LA goals. There's an adjustment right there. Put your best defensive forwards on at critical times. faceoffs and PKs .
McDavid, Hyman and Kane were all -1. last night. Bjikstad, McCleod, Ryan and Nuge are the ones that should be out there. McD shouldn't be on the PK at all . Save his resources for what he does best. Even with a point in the game. McDavid was even in Game 2 and with no points was -2 in game 1. Get him and his linemates off in those situations.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Really thought I was over this and ready for next game, but someone just told me the difference is the kings are “scoring on the PP when it matters”.

The kings have scored on 4 PPs, 3 of them at a time that was considered a game changer (2 in OT, 1 with under 2 mins in the game and down by one), and one that could be argued was a game changer (taking away the momentum with a weak unsportsmanlike on Drai).

Meanwhile the Oilers PP opportunities have been:

- 2 calls 10 ish minutes into the first period of game 1

- 1 call with 30 seconds left in period 2 of game 1.

- 1 call around 10 mins into the first period of game 2

- all 3 game 3 calls being in the first 5-10 minutes of each period.

We haven’t had a single PP at a time that could have decided the game like the kings have. Meanwhile both kings OT PP goals were preceded by a blatant missed call against the kings (Foegele getting elbowed in the face in game 1, and Mcdavid getting pinned to the ice in game 3).

Thanks for posting this, I think this is what has been frustrating me the most, as the game goes on and the battle level increases, we stop getting calls and LA gets all the calls. Beyond infuriating to watch, I wish I could turn it off but I'm an idiot so I'll definitely tune in tomorrow night.

Reactions: 3IR

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
I would love to see the Oilers up 8-0 8-1 late in the 3rd with 3 -4 minutes left and start diving and snapping their heads backs tapping the shin pads of their own players like Draisaitl soft tap Make the last 3 minutes turn into an hour with their theatrics and make a mockery of the Refs and for the whole hockey world to see
Or just knock the rest of Doughtys teeth out, one sweet cross check to the mouth lmao

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad