Post-Game Talk: Poor discipline and poor reffing is a bad combination

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016

It's gross misconduct bro. You touch them and they hit the dougie or some other elaborate hip hop dance on their way down; probably get more American viewers if it was after earned playoff goal instead of social assistance, hand out, welfare PPs, but I digress. I hope they see the sell jobs for what they (officials) are and the boys can go back to playing what was once a contact sport.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Yeah...I am sure thats part of it.
There are also a lot of younger posters on here and its especially easy for them to go there.

To be honest I found my self yelling at the refs calls while watching the game. Easy to get emotional when the emotional investment is high.
For me though...I vent...then I'm done.

I just dont think its useful to stay in that place because it prevents you from exploring anything else that might be going on. I mean IMO the only useful strategy here is to review what the team actually has control of.
That to me is worthy of conversation and there are a lot of smart posters on here so I appreciate seeing how they unravel circumstances like the Oilers find themselves in now.

Here is the problem I have and why I try to avoid this board after a lose. People are taking the easy way out by saying it is the refs. After 3 games. Here are some numbers I look at and think need to be discussed.

Hyman 1 A. 3rd and 4th liners? Only Kostin and Ryan have pts from the 3rd and 4th line (Janmark is now out). To win we need scoring from guys like Yamamoto, McLeod, and Foegele and others in the bottom six. Until we get those guys going, we are not doing any damage in the playoffs. And 2 topics I do not think some want to talk about is coaching and goaltending. We are being out coached and a .900% is not going to cut it.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Here is the problem I have and why I try to avoid this board after a lose. People are taking the easy way out by saying it is the refs. After 3 games. Here are some numbers I look at and think need to be discussed.
thumbs down.gif

credit to @walktheboulavard

Yablo21

Jul 24, 2006
Beersbie

Hyman 1 A. 3rd and 4th liners? Only Kostin and Ryan have pts from the 3rd and 4th line (Janmark is now out). To win we need scoring from guys like Yamamoto, McLeod, and Foegele and others in the bottom six. Until we get those guys going, we are not doing any damage in the playoffs. And 2 topics I do not think some want to talk about is coaching and goaltending. We are being out coached and a .900% is not going to cut it.
You guys love being gaslit. It is the refs they have gifted the Kings 2 games now. The one we won we got one powerplay. When we lost to the Aves I was pissed about the Makar goal but otherwise we were beat fair and square, I didnt bitch and moan. Yesterday was an absolute disgrace and its a cop out to say that it wasn't.

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
I dunno. It's a message board, man.

Sometimes people come here to vent and discuss the game they just watched. Sometimes the game is frustrating for a variety of reasons. In a playoff series those frustrations and emotions are going to be even higher.

I'm not upset at any "bitching" going on in between games. Pretty sure everyone doing so is also aware it doesn't change anything. That's not the point, though.

Luckily, by game time tomorrow none of it means anything and we get to watch another, hopefully improved effort and game.

independent observer

Apr 9, 2023
So apart from playing a hard and smart game, while not taking weak penalties/giving the refs interpretation scope that could go either way… One of the biggest problems is that at even strength McD‘s line has totally been owned by the Kings.

Ok that is a bit exaggerated as McD drew 2 penalties which led to PP goals. However, he is -4. I was thinking about putting Drai on his line but that doesn‘t make sense since Drai produces on EV.

Any thoughts? Just bad luck? Cause for concern for the remaining games? How can we fix this?

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Don’t really understand why anyone would carry water for the league and their drone officials at this point. Conspiracy or no, it’s among the worst officiating in pro sports and is a shit product that props up garbage hockey while neutering stars. The vampire Bet365man has sucked the life out of this game

f*** the NHL

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
You guys love being gaslit. It is the refs they have gifted the Kings 2 games now. The one we won we got one powerplay. When we lost to the Aves I was pissed about the Makar goal but otherwise we were beat fair and square, I didnt bitch and moan. Yesterday was an absolute disgrace and its a cop out to say that it wasn't.

1000%

I was actually surprised that last series against the Kings wasn’t as ridiculously officiated. Considering the margins, it could have been the difference (like it might be this year since it’s gifted them two games).

It’s just like the Sharks and Ducks in 2017.

Jets, Hawks and Avs the team was either weak depth and outcoached or simply outclassed all around like the latter.

The officiating product deserves no benefit of the doubt, particularly since it’s derailed more than one series so far this season (and will likely do so to more in the second round if this keeps up). This isn’t supposed to be like wrestling

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'm not sure the name-recognition of the referees is what I was talking about, but anyway...
The point was that criticism of the refereeing and the type of complaints you hear on this board were every bit as intense back then as they are today, Perhaps more so. Though the normal outlet would have been talk radio rather than the internet of course. The difference being that referees were not anonymous foot soldiers of the league. They were personalities and I would say far more individually accountable for their work.

I respect your strong sense of history in almost every situation. But I strongly disagree with this take. Between periods a group of us met down on the lower level every game for years to talk about what we saw. If we saw similar things that are happening this year the reaction would have been the same. That I am 100% sure of. And yes people did say "Coffey has to be, but they also had no problem saying that Koharski, that bum, cost us the series. Or that when you played Boston or the Habs that you played not only the team but also against the refs.

It's also not like this board is immune from being critical of the players. But for the most part the team has actually played very well. Were it not for Korpisalo playing fantastic there could easily have been 3 blow-outs.

Last edited:

BeanBurrito

Nov 8, 2018
I still can't believe they gave Drai this penalty right after our 2-1 goal. Doughty didn't even react to it

That RNH one was weak too from what I have been watching all around the league in OT

It seriously doesnt even look like Drai touched him. Looks like he pulled it then tapped the ice like a 6 inches way from him.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
kick in the nuts. No sleep at all, then I leave at 345 AM and come across car accident on top of local Mountain. Thought there was a body inside, but no body, just booze. They took off

We r far from outta it. We need more scoring. Be nice to get Kane, Hyman, and Nuge going. I wish McLeod would skate more with that puck. It seemed he was very reluctant to skate .

I was gonna leave a comment in the Kings board but cant be bothered. What a bunch of idiots. They hate Canada
I was in a big crash on Mount Tom once

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
So apart from playing a hard and smart game, while not taking weak penalties/giving the refs interpretation scope that could go either way… One of the biggest problems is that at even strength McD‘s line has totally been owned by the Kings.

Ok that is a bit exaggerated as McD drew 2 penalties which led to PP goals. However, he is -4. I was thinking about putting Drai on his line but that doesn‘t make sense since Drai produces on EV.

Any thoughts? Just bad luck? Cause for concern for the remaining games? How can we fix this?
I am not sure that this is really true. The McDavid line has actually dominated in terms of controlling the puck and generating chances. They just haven't converted. They are 0-3 in goals scored which is an issue but the Kings goals have not been from them controlling play. The Kings MO with McDavid on the ice has been circle the wagons, bar the door and let Korpisalo save the day.

Danault is being credited with "shutting down McDavid". Lets see what is acutally happening when Danault is out vs that line. I used Natural Stats Tricks Line tool to look at 5vs5 with McDavid and Hyman vs Danault. (I chose Hyman because you need a second player and he has been a consistent member of the line). The results in 31:19 are:

CF 42 CA 22 CF% 67.65
SF 25 SA 9 SF%73.53
GF 0 GA 0
SCF 23 SCA 11 SCF%67.65
HDCF 10 HDCA 3 HDCF% 76.92%

The results have been different vs the Kopitar line but the sample size is less. In 7:06 we have

CF 4 CA 12 CF% 25
SF 2 SA 7 SF%22.22
GF 0 GA 2
SCF 3 SCA 6 SCF%33.33
HDCF 1 HDCA 4 HDCF% 20

The time vs Danault is pretty indicative of the 5 vs 5 play on whole.

Last edited:

Sra1974

Oct 8, 2019
I am not sure that this is really true. The McDavid line has actually dominated in terms of controlling the puck and generating chances. They just haven't converted. They are 0-3 in goals scored which is an issue but the Kings goals have not been from them controlling play. The Kings MO with McDavid on the ice has been circle the wagons, bar the door and let Korpisalo save the day.

Danault is being credited with "shutting down McDavid". Lets see what is acutally happening when Danault is out vs that line. I used Natural Stats Tricks Line tool to look at 5vs5 with McDavid and Hyman vs Danault. (I chose Hyman because you need a second player and he has been a consistent member of the line). The results in 31:19 are:

CF 42 CA 22 CF% 67.65
SF 25 SA 9 SF%73.53
GF 0 GA 0
SCF 23 SCA 11 SCF%67.65
HDCF 10 HDCA 3 HDCF% 76.92%

The results have been different vs the Kopitar line but the sample size is less. In 7:06 we have

CF 4 CA 12 CF% 25
SF 2 SA 7 SF%22.22
GF 0 GA 2
SCF 3 SCA 6 SCF%33.33
HDCF 1 HDCA 4 HDCF% 20

The time vs Danault is pretty indicative of the 5 vs 5 play on whole.
Well what is true is that he and his line have been on the ice for some really critical goals against Ina tight series, and they haven’t generated any Goals of their own. While they may be carrying play statistically it’s not converting into goals,a nd the mistakes they are making are ending uo in the back of the Oilers net.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is absolutely unhinged.

Shit like this makes me feel embarassed to post here.
Sure and the complaining about the reffing constantly and crying out conspriacy and revenge theories is a bit much but then you get posters that say "game over" in the middle of a game or "series over" after Game 3 which is just as embarrassing and you know who one of those posters is, you just have to look in the mirror to find him.

On another note, speak of embarrassments, Stauffer in the post game was bitching and moaning like crazy and wouldn't allow Michaels and Brown to get a word in. I know he's frustrated just like the fans and is a fan himself but at least try to display some semblance of professionalism.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sure and the complaining about the reffing constantly and crying out conspriacy and revenge theories is a bit much but then you get posters that say "game over" in the middle of a game or "series over" after Game 3 which is just as embarrassing and you know who one of those posters is, you just have to look in the mirror to find him.

On another note, speak of embarrassments, Stauffer in the post game was bitching and moaning like crazy and wouldn't allow Michaels and Brown to get a word in. I know he's frustrated just like the fans and is a fan himself but at least try to display some semblance of professionalism.
Yeah Stauffer had a full on temper tantrum

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
yes and no. Last thing I heard both fell on hard times again and we living on the streets somewhere in Spain. They lasted 5 years after I left the hotel but a new manager came in and destroyed their confidence

Hard to have a career when business models are designed to make people more and more replaceable, IMO.

Obviously most managers would argue thats not the case but probably easier to start your own business these days then work for a manager that isnt on your side.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
For game 5, the fan give away should be each person getting a dive score card with the kings logo on it. The scores should range 0.1 to 0.5 because that's how pathetically bad the dives are.

Reactions: bellagiobob

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Yeah, I’m just going to avoid the board tonight.

I f***ing knew it. I f***ing knew that this stupid league we go this route.

Oilers (and basically everyone else in hockey) being vocal about getting shafted? Let’s see how they like a dose of the worst ref in the NHL partnered with a clown that has some kind of complex about McDavid.

f*** the NHL. Seriously.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad