Post-Game Talk: Poor discipline and poor reffing is a bad combination

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I f***ing knew it. I f***ing knew that this stupid league we go this route.

Oilers (and basically everyone else in hockey) being vocal about getting shafted? Let’s see how they like a dose of the worst ref in the NHL partnered with a clown that has some kind of complex about McDavid.

f*** the NHL. Seriously.
Guess who did last year's game 6 when the kings were up 3-2 in the series? Chris Lee.

PP scorebox: LAK: 4
EDM: 1

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Guess who did last year's game 6 when the kings were up 3-2 in the series? Chris Lee.

PP scorebox: LAK: 4
EDM: 1

Awesome.

He’s also the worst official in the league that blows up games.

You’ll have to forgive me for assuming that he is much, much more likely to blow the game up in the Kings favour based on what we’ve seen in the first three games.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not letting
This rest

WOW. Thats some GREAT digging. Lots to unpack with this. Theres a lot of spaghetti gets thrown on the wall talking about this stuff but this, this sticks. Won't be able to unlook how this is framed. Somebody did some good detective work. So that Western Canada is getting royally screwed in hockey too...

Interesting in the list too that Philly and STL are below where we are and yet both had long and repeated durations as the dirtiest teams in hockey. One that stands out is that Buffalo are getting screwed too. When one thinks of Buffalo through the years one certainly doesn't think "team with most penalty minutes" more like among teams getting f***ed over.

Bituman must be an interesting read. heh

Reactions: BlackDogg

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
WOW. Thats some GREAT digging. Lots to unpack with this. Theres a lot of spaghetti gets thrown on the wall talking about this stuff but this, this sticks. Won't be able to unlook how this is framed. Somebody did some good detective work. So that Western Canada is getting royally screwed in hockey too...

Makes sense. And I did kind of wonder about the Ontario ref thing. I can't recall if i actually said it earlier this series but would feel more comfortable with even American officials. Maybe we need to use European, as there is definitely something to it

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I f***ing knew it. I f***ing knew that this stupid league we go this route.

Oilers (and basically everyone else in hockey) being vocal about getting shafted? Let’s see how they like a dose of the worst ref in the NHL partnered with a clown that has some kind of complex about McDavid.

f*** the NHL. Seriously.
Gary never lets anyone push him into a corner and try and humiliate him. You think there is an issue with the game and complain about it, he will double down on it and punish you further. This was to be expected.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Makes sense. And I did kind of wonder about the Ontario ref thing. I can't recall if i actually said it earlier this series but would feel more comfortable with even American officials. Maybe we need to use European, as there is definitely something to it
Thanks for bringing it up. This is among the more cogent theories I've seen thus far. With this one it immediately rings like its on to something. Or it matches my own world view bias. lol

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
LMAO. Kozari in tonight. I do think he has let up though recently. He did have it in for McDavid though for 2 years.

Thrughout all of this BS, the only solace I have...The Oilers could have won all 3 games if they could finish. Every single game they could have won and had many chances to go up.

I'll see you guys post game. Not watching any more EDM-LA games, so I will not comment on them until I see the replay game (if we win).

Reactions: RegDunlop

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

People just pretend its spaghetti.

Remember when the league adjusted the rule to pro-rate win percentage to justify wild card game in the covid season?

They likely could have done whatever the hell they wanted in that situation and they chose to disadvantage the Oilers. Just one example of many.

It comes off as a victim complex but just too many examples to not talk about it.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Well what is true is that he and his line have been on the ice for some really critical goals against Ina tight series, and they haven’t generated any Goals of their own. While they may be carrying play statistically it’s not converting into goals,a nd the mistakes they are making are ending uo in the back of the Oilers net.
Of course the line needs to find a way to score. But its not like there has been a lot of sloppy play by the forwards leading to goals. Here are the 4 ES goals scored while McDavid was on the ice. The third is a bad mistake by Desharnais but Skinner really should have made the save. The last one is really the only one where you could say there was a significant breakdown.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Here is the problem I have and why I try to avoid this board after a lose. People are taking the easy way out by saying it is the refs. After 3 games. Here are some numbers I look at and think need to be discussed.

Hyman 1 A. 3rd and 4th liners? Only Kostin and Ryan have pts from the 3rd and 4th line (Janmark is now out). To win we need scoring from guys like Yamamoto, McLeod, and Foegele and others in the bottom six. Until we get those guys going, we are not doing any damage in the playoffs. And 2 topics I do not think some want to talk about is coaching and goaltending. We are being out coached and a .900% is not going to cut it.
I would agree that Hyman has been an issue.
I would however be focusing on Hyman, RNH and Kane long before I would be calling out any 3rd and 4th liners.
The 3rd and 4th lines job is to come out of a game even.
As a group they have been very good so far.
The top 6 outside of McDavid and Draisaitl have been terrible at both ends of the ice. On top of that as good as Driasdaitl has been he is effectively neutralizing his offence with some selfish decisions.

So the main issue for this team right now is the top 6. Hyman, RNH and Kane have been garbage and that has to change if this team has any chance of winning.
In addition Draisaitl needs to smarten up.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Thanks for bringing it up. This is among the more cogent theories I've seen thus far. With this one it immediately rings like its on to something. Or it matches my own world view bias. lol
It is difficult to tell is something is just a perceived bias unless you can put some numbers to it. If this is accurate, well there are the numbers. Over a long duration. Canadian teams are getting shafted. Alberta teams the most (likely some un-western bias fueled by politics and rhetoric as well). It is the exact order you would expect, with Gretzky having played in Edmonton.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Interesting in the list too that Philly and STL are below where we are and yet both had long and repeated durations as the dirtiest teams in hockey. One that stands out is that Buffalo are getting screwed too. When one thinks of Buffalo through the years one certainly doesn't think "team with most penalty minutes" more like among teams getting f***ed over.

The issue with that list is it means little to nothing for the current NHL. I looked at the same measurement over the past decade only. Here it is

1. New Jersey Devils 4.25
2. Detroit Red Wings 4.06
3. Anaheim Ducks 3.86
4. Philadelphia Flyers 3.80
5. Arizona Coyotes 3.78
6. Edmonton Oilers 3.78
7. Calgary Flames 3.67
8. Florida Panthers 3.66
9. Carolina Hurricanes 3.62
10. Vancouver Canucks 3.61
17. Toronto Maple Leafs 3.19
19. Montreal Canadians 3.16
21. Ottawa Senators 3.16
27. Winnipeg Jets 2.98

If you dig deeper in the original, an absolute ton of the Calgary/Edmonton penalties came against each other. Battle of Alberta was penalty heavy. There might be a bit of an east/west Canada bias but Canadian teams aren’t targeted more, at least not currently.

Reactions: RegDunlop

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
For me the domino fell with the CFL. So many results seemed contrived and with a pass interference flag in that sport you can entirely make winners and losers. Throw one team 2-3 favorable calls and it makes for an easy 10pt or more swing. If its an endzone PI put the ball on the 1.

Plus the sticker price doesn't match with the league quality and I can't support that name change for anything.

Just wait till the Oilers are renamed Edmonton Green Energy thingy
Ha oddly wasn't that the biggest kiss by the city, they could have called em the Edmonton energy kept the green n gold. Played in to the eco warrior thing and not pissed off so many people picking sausage fixins for a mascot. The elkimoos... ffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad