Post-Game Talk: Poor discipline and poor reffing is a bad combination

phrenssoa

Nov 21, 2014
Winnipeg
McDavid scores 2 goals but is -1? So that means he was on for all 3 of the LA goals. There's an adjustment right there. Put your best defensive forwards on at critical times. faceoffs and PKs .
McDavid, Hyman and Kane were all -1. last night. Bjikstad, McCleod, Ryan and Nuge are the ones that should be out there. McD shouldn't be on the PK at all . Save his resources for what he does best. Even with a point in the game. McDavid was even in Game 2 and with no points was -2 in game 1. Get him and his linemates off in those situations.
You don’t get a +1 on the powerplay, nor do you get a -1 on the penalty kill. So McDavid’s rating means he was on the ice for one even strength goal against.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I would say more of the point of Georges is how one sided the calls were.
If you're gonna give Draisaitl a penalty for that, why isn't Danault getting the same treatment? Why is Kostin's penalty called, but Danault keeping McDavid down is alright? Why does Nuge get a slash in OT, when Yamamoto literally got slashed a moment ago? Why does Bouchard get a penalty for hitting Moore near the face in G1 that allowed the kings to tie it up, but Desharnais getting punched straight in the face from Iafallo in G2 results in no call?

Like I stated last night, some of the penalties that the Oilers caused were inflicted upon themselves, but the officiating has been awfully one sided this series thus far. That OT high stick was also another screw job by this incompetent league. I don't think at this point anybody can say the officiating is fine. At most, the officiating gets worse and worse every year.
Exactly. I absolutely disagree with anyone who says we haven’t been good enough to win. Given the same rule book, we’ve been good enough to sweep this team. We’re 50% on the PP, our PK is outperforming theirs, we’re even with them in 5v5 goal differential, and are ahead of them in just about every metric in all situations. The only things they have on us are a hotter goalie, and 7 more PP opportunities. Neither of which on their own would be enough to have the two wins they have.

Reactions: Puljulainen

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think people need to tune out the 'narrative.' It will always be there and something beyond ability to control. There's always going to be an external discussion about whether McDavid and Draisaitl will stay in Edmonton. It's driven by jealousy whether Leaf fans who haven't won since 1967; Flamer fans who have never had super elite talent but have been generationally abused by Oiler ones; other fanbases that feel the Oilers were unfairly gifted great talent via the lottery; media peeps who stir up emotional reactions to secure eyeballs and impressions which translates into money.

Oiler ownership have never scrimped on paying their elite talent. Their GM is player friendly and openly engages with his super elite leadership group on personnel decisions. This franchise can throw both money and longest term to retain its super elites. Both McDavid and Draisaitl have fully embraced winning over personal accolades and by their public record align with Holland's mantra that winning a Cup requires multiple years of making the playoffs, chipping away at it each and every year, until everything clicks. I'm not sure either feel there is a quick fix leaving this franchise to seek a perceived cheat code faster way elsewhere.

This series is a contrast of two divergent styles. The Oil have led for all of about 7 minutes but have been stifled by opposition great goaltending, a boring, effective defensive structure, very poor discipline and bad penalties enflamed by mediocre and erratic refereeing. The Kings were never going to be a gimme putt. We'll see how much the Oilers have learned with their backs firmly against the wall. This series is still close despite the overwhelming majority of the Oiler lineup being stuck in neutral.

Oil have their hands full. Lots of glass empty elements to think they won't or can't come back from 2-1 series deficit. But also a lot of glass half full reasons for hope with a largely underperforming roster largely holding its own with much more available across everyone in the lineup including the two super elites. We all wait to see what transpires.
Completely agree.
Especially appreciate the bolded as it pertains to all of the top 6 not named McDrai
We have to hope that that injury isnt the issue and its simply a matter of adjusting their game to the Kings system.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
McDavid scores 2 goals but is -1? So that means he was on for all 3 of the LA goals. There's an adjustment right there. Put your best defensive forwards on at critical times. faceoffs and PKs .
McDavid, Hyman and Kane were all -1. last night. Bjikstad, McCleod, Ryan and Nuge are the ones that should be out there. McD shouldn't be on the PK at all . Save his resources for what he does best. Even with a point in the game. McDavid was even in Game 2 and with no points was -2 in game 1. Get him and his linemates off in those situations.
Thats not how plus minus works.

You dont get a plus for a powerplay goal, or a negative for a shorthanded goal against.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Thats not how plus minus works.

You dont get a plus for a powerplay goal, or a negative for a shorthanded goal against.
You don’t get a +1 on the powerplay, nor do you get a -1 on the penalty kill. So McDavid’s rating means he was on the ice for one even strength goal against.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't pay attention enough to +/- so I forgot about that. So it's all even strength then.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'd like to see us run McDrai on the PK. We need to take advantage of all of the open ice that we can get in this series. I have come to the conclusion that this comes off of defensive zone draws and on the PK.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't pay attention enough to +/- so I forgot about that. So it's all even strength then.
You can also get a minus if you're on a powerplay and give up a shorthanded goal, or get a plus if you're shorthanded and get a shorthanded goal.

He was on for 1 5v5 GA and 1 4v5 GA last game.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Exactly. I absolutely disagree with anyone who says we haven’t been good enough to win. Given the same rule book, we’ve been good enough to sweep this team. We’re 50% on the PP, our PK is outperforming theirs, we’re even with them in 5v5 goal differential, and are ahead of them in just about every metric in all situations. The only things they have on us are a hotter goalie, and 7 more PP opportunities. Neither of which on their own would be enough to have the two wins they have.

Still don't have my likes privileges back but I'd give you a like for your post.
This game wouldn't be a 1-2 deficit or as close if the officials called it properly.

Nothing's been more frustrating aside from a boring f***ing trap, and the fact that the officials start slowing or squeezing the Oilers momentum with the shit they've called against them.

Reactions: Puljulainen and 3IR

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
So that Villardi goal from game 2.....did anyone mention that turnover was caused by a slash to the hands.....hahaha.....just keep building that list of grievances!! Hasn't the league been trying to get this sort of thing out of the game for like the last 15 years. The double standard from regular season to playoffs really has to be addressed. It's been going on for ever. The rationale is they don't want to be a deciding factor in the game. Well what the hell do you think you are doing when you refuse to make obvious calls. It's your job to ensure a fair contest. It just blows my mind.

Attachments

• Screenshot (358).png
    Screenshot (358).png
    833.5 KB · Views: 1

Useless plug

May 23, 2021
I would love to see the advanced stats but by my eye the Kings had more 10 bell chances than the Oilers did. It was quite obvious on the second viewing.
You may be right. Oilers dominating the shot clock, but a lot of the chances were low percentage shots. Kings are playing stronger defence and generating chances in transition.

Reactions: guymez

Useless plug

May 23, 2021
PP goals for or against don't count for +/-

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
God still whining and trying to put the blame anywhere but the team. I hope the team does think the same way.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
The kings have done well to shut Edmonton down compared to our regular season scoring, but we’ve still been the better team despite the lack of production. It was to be expected honestly with it being the playoffs, and it being LA.

9 goals a side so far, 4 each on the PP, with the Oilers having significantly less opportunities, and zero opportunities when it’s most impactful (end of the game, and OT), while 3/4 of the kings pp goals are from penalties called at those game deciding times. Take away the OT calls, or call the blatant ones missed before the kings got a PP (Foegele elbow and Mcdavid being pinned on his ass) and we’re looking at a sweep tomorrow.

There isn’t much 5 on 5 for either team, which is to be expected when the kings play their clog up everything style. The reffing has been the deciding factor in this series because it’s much more impactful when one teams game plan is focused on not getting scored on 5v5.

I have no doubt if we get through the kings, it’ll be much easier to overcome such terrible reffing against a team that doesn’t build its game plan around a trap system.
Well said

Empty net goal too.. they need to step up bigtime.

Honestly... Nuge's big 100 point season doesn't mean much to me if he can't contribute in this playoffs
Completely agreed.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Hire Sutter to send a compilation video to the league. Or was that Gulitzen? Either way.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Yes
Hyman hasn't looked great in over a month.
Kane barely played half a season and it shows
McDavid had a two goal outburst but has been effectively shut down the rest of the time.
Nuge-nothing- but I'm wondering to what extent the PK is affecting the rest of his game.
Yams is not a top six player..

Also, a real curse is waking up and the first thought to come to mind is the Oiler's loss from the night before...OOF
I wonder if there is something up with Hyman

He looks brutally slow to me. Looks like a totally different player out there at times and it’s not just against LA

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
It was one too many. He has gotten away with an absolute ton of unsportsmanlike like shit after goals. Especially against the Kings. Maybe this will get him to finally stop.
It’s not just after goals. During game 2, one of the US broadcasters ran an intermission highlight package of all the needless little hacks and spears Draisaitl had gotten away with in neutral ice or away from the play. I don’t know if they went back and pulled clips from regular season meetings between LA and Edmonton (I think they must have because there were about five or six instances in the clip, and surely there couldn’t have been that many through just four or five periods of hockey in this series). Watching the clip, I was a bit shocked to be honest. It was egregious stick work that every fan here would want to see penalized if it were being done to an Oiler. I don’t doubt for a minute that league officials saw that clip and were just waiting for him to do it again.

Sure enough, he obliged.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It’s not just after goals. During game 2, one of the US broadcasters ran an intermission highlight package of all the needless little hacks and spears Draisaitl had gotten away with in neutral ice or away from the play. I don’t know if they went back and pulled clips from regular season meetings between LA and Edmonton (I think they must have because there were about five or six instances in the clip, and surely there couldn’t have been that many through just four or five periods of hockey in this series). Watching the clip, I was a bit shocked to be honest. It was egregious stick work that every fan here would want to see penalized if it were being done to an Oiler. I don’t doubt for a minute that league officials saw that clip and were just waiting for him to do it again.

Sure enough, he obliged.
It wouldn't be such a big issue if it was consistent no matter what team you play on.

Kempe is allowed to hack players after the whistle without the refs even thinking of calling a penalty.

Reactions: harpoon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad