Player Discussion Pontus Aberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Anyway, for the most part us Swedes are happy with the English pronunciations of our names, since you make them sound cooler anyway. It would just sound dumb if you tried to say Forsberg or Silfverberg the way we do. So keep on with the "Buurrgh" please.

But some inconsistancies are mind boggling. Christian Folin is a good example. All the time I hear the announcers say "Foll-inn" when it's actually "Fo-liiin" just like "Se-diiin", "Sun-diiin" and "Mo-diiin" which they were all getting right.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
The Swedish letter Å is pronounced how Americans would pronounce the O in "Fork".

The letter Å can also form a word on its own. There's no real English translation but it basically means a very small river.

Basically his last name translates to "river mountain".

Has nothing go do with a Ducks or Swedish player, but I put Kotkaniemi into Google translate one day and it told me his last name translated to "eagle peninsula" which I love. Jesperi Eaglepeninsula.

KeepItDeep

Jun 19, 2007
Sierra Nevadas
Not sure, but there's no match får Å on google translate. There's also no synonyms for Å in the Swedish language, but I think it's just a really old Swedish word for river. Today it's used to describe small rivers, at least where I live, so it could be a dialectal thing. A creek/brook we would basically only call something that one could jump over. The Swedish word for that is Bäck, as in Nicklas Bäckström ;)
It's so hilarious for me that the word "creek" comes up in the midst of a discussion about proper pronunciation, because most of my relatives in the Pacific Northwest pronounce creek as "crick". Drives me crazy. Left Coast hillbilly.

Last edited:

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
It's so hilarious for me that the word "creek" comes up in the midst of a discussion about proper pronunciation, because most of my relatives in the Pacific Northwest pronounce creek as "crick". Drives me crazy. Left Coast hillbilly.
Cricking peasants those people.

Reactions: KeepItDeep
Oct 18, 2011
I was looking at some of his stats. he showed improvement every year in the AHL. his production went up with more ice time after being traded to the Oilers...hopefully this kid is just one of those that just needs a consistent role and ice time to make it. His goals per game in the AHL, went way up year by year. Hope it works out

Reactions: TheNeutrality

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
So it's a "G" after vowels and "J" otherwise?

Or am I jumping to conclusions here?

I think you are jumping to conclusions, but in most cases I think you are right. It's our language, we just know, but we don't know, you know?

If a word starts with G it almost always stays a G. The names Gustav and Gabriel aren't pronounced Justav or Jabriel lol. Then there are other instances where the "G" becomes a sch-sound, just as in the english language. The 2nd G in "Garage" for example.

Swedish is a close relative to English, and so many words are similar. But our grammatic rules are often inconsistant, as you will see in this comedic video:

Right in the beginning of the video, the host says the letters Å, Ä and Ö. So right there is how you start Åbergs name :)

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
I think you are jumping to conclusions, but in most cases I think you are right. It's our language, we just know, but we don't know, you know?

If a word starts with G it almost always stays a G. The names Gustav and Gabriel aren't pronounced Justav or Jabriel lol.

DisastrousKeenIraniangroundjay-size_restricted.gif

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Even if Aberg will dissapoint on ice, this waiver pickup certainly already have payed off in HFB

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad