Player Discussion Pontus Aberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I think he can be a player.

Didn't endear himself to Oilers brass last year when he slept through a practice. Got outplayed by surging teenagers and fell victim to the numbers game. Totally seems like the type of player the Ducks redeem into an NHL player in a 3line type role from the outside.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Dryish

Nonplussed
Dec 14, 2015
Hki Metro
Easy to nab him with Rodin going back to Sweden and us having one more free contract slot. Probably gonna replace Gibbons for the time being and then spend most of the year in the AHL, if he even makes it through the waivers. Preds fans did like him when he played for them, so it's not the worst we could do at this point by any stretch.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Also makes me wonder if BM is just thinking about trading Ritchie. Doesn't seem like he has hope that he'll get signed with this move.
BM isn't trading Ritchie without seeing him on the ice this season to see how his new off-season training has gone, no matter how tough the negotiations are.

As Duck Knight said - more likely to have something to do with Gibbons injury (as well as giving Anaheim a warm body to be 13th forward if needed).

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I am not impressed. But then the Ducks were apparently not impressed with either Street or Blandisi, having waived both. I suspect that this will be a relatively short lived experiment for the fourth line unless Aberg somehow manages to play better here than he has in the past. If he doesn't he will just get waived again and sent down to San Diego if no one claims him at that time.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Sounds like he needs top 6 ice time to be successful, not a great fit for the 4th line. I would have grabbed someone physical off waivers instead.

Arthuros

Registered Snoozer
Feb 24, 2014
Littleroot Town
Cool name.

And that's all I really have to say about Aberg. I remember him coming alive in Game 5 and 6 against us, but apparently he hasn't done anything since then. Strange pickup.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I remember wanting the Ducks to pick this guy in the 2012 draft. I'm happy now that we didn't, but it's a good waiver pickup. He'll be a good 13th/14th forward who can slot into the top 9 when there are injuries, or if/when a couple of the kids are sent down.

Reactions: Getz2perry

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Cool name.

The pronounciation will be butchered. His name is Åberg, and "Å" is a lot closer to "O" than "A". They will say "Aaa-berg" but it should be "Oh-berg".

I also hate how all the announcer say Rickard Rakell's first name. "Rickard" should be short just like the english name "Richard". Not "Rick-AAAAarrhhhrd". Sounds like he should be a pirate in some pirate movie, or a villian in Lucky Luke. But I've gotten used to it now.

KyleJRM

Jun 6, 2007
North Dakota
Sheesh. Everyone who scoffed at the idea that the Ducks would actually get faster after they said they would get faster has earned some crow.

This roster is significantly faster than last year's.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I actually liked Aberg a lot his draft year... surprised he hasn't done more... maybe hell have a chip on his shoulder/or fit well in the line up somewhere.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I remember wanting the Ducks to pick this guy in the 2012 draft. I'm happy now that we didn't, but it's a good waiver pickup. He'll be a good 13th/14th forward who can slot into the top 9 when there are injuries, or if/when a couple of the kids are sent down.
I wanted to draft him, too, solely because of his name. Those are my only thoughts on the matter.

rlstine

Jun 14, 2017
His possession stats are pretty bad, but he could be a decent 13th forward or good AHL guy. I can at least respect that they're trying to get faster after they talked so much about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->