Player Discussion Pontus Aberg

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
And we haven’t even started discussing the “sh”-sound. There are actually 65 ways of spelling that in Swedish language. Not joking here.

PS: Still, Finnish is a few steps further up in complexity (although they are consistent in spelling/pronunciation): depressingfinland.tumblr.com/post/65222506844/what-do-you-mean-finnish-is-difficult
Same joke, but in an easily digestible polandball form:

country-balls-conjugation.png

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think you are jumping to conclusions, but in most cases I think you are right. It's our language, we just know, but we don't know, you know?

If a word starts with G it almost always stays a G. The names Gustav and Gabriel aren't pronounced Justav or Jabriel lol. Then there are other instances where the "G" becomes a sch-sound, just as in the english language. The 2nd G in "Garage" for example.

Swedish is a close relative to English, and so many words are similar. But our grammatic rules are often inconsistant, as you will see in this comedic video:

Right in the beginning of the video, the host says the letters Å, Ä and Ö. So right there is how you start Åbergs name :)

If the G is in front of a hard vowel it is G, if it is in front of a soft vowel it is J (hard: A, O, U, Å; soft: E, I, Y, Ä, Ö). For the beginning of a sentence that is. I realised this when living in Italy and studying Italian... 30 years in Sweden and I never reflected over it. In front of consonants I think it is always a G (but don't take my word for that one).

How was Aberg's first game? I loved it when EDM picked him up, but unfortunately it didn't work out in the end. I was hoping for some AHL time and then back to the Oilers but it was not to be.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
If the G is in front of a hard vowel it is G, if it is in front of a soft vowel it is J (hard: A, O, U, Å; soft: E, I, Y, Ä, Ö). For the beginning of a sentence that is. I realised this when living in Italy and studying Italian... 30 years in Sweden and I never reflected over it. In front of consonants I think it is always a G (but don't take my word for that one).

How was Aberg's first game? I loved it when EDM picked him up, but unfortunately it didn't work out in the end. I was hoping for some AHL time and then back to the Oilers but it was not to be.
Awful. Doesn’t look NHL caliber by any means.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
If you were expecting a waiver pick up to look good after 1 practice with the team then you were bound to be disappointed. He might still turn out to be nothing, but he's going to need more than 1 practice with the team to get up to speed with a new system and teammates.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
If you were expecting a waiver pick up to look good after 1 practice with the team then you were bound to be disappointed. He might still turn out to be nothing, but he's going to need more than 1 practice with the team to get up to speed with a new system and teammates.

Was going to say basically the same. He was terrible, but he needs a few practices to learn........and then I’ll say he sucks:laugh:

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Are there any Shareefs coming up?

We can have Pontus the pontif paired with Shareef the sheriff.

edit: and Tariq the Tariff.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Hopefully soon Ritchie, Kesler, Jones and Kase are replace Street ,Gibbons, Terry and Sherwood or Steel

Jones? What’s he done to prove he’s an NHLer? Other than have an incredibly underwhelming junior career for a first round pick.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Jones? What’s he done to prove he’s an NHLer? Other than have an incredibly underwhelming junior career for a first round pick.

The funny part is that Dirk wants him in the lineup only because he thinks he's tough. But he hasn't shown he can consistently play physical without running into injury and discipline issues, and has rarely fought or faired overly well when he has.

For me, Jones is a project with intriguing physical tools, but a long way to go before he'll be ready to process the game well enough to be a top 9 forward at the NHL level.

Reactions: Paul4587

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Hopefully soon Ritchie, Kesler, Jones and Kase are replace Street ,Gibbons, Terry and Sherwood or Steel
Zero chance Jones slots in over Sherwood right now. He is going to have to prove he can perform in the AHL first, unless Sherwood falls off. What could you possibly have against the way that kid plays that you’d want him gone?

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Zero chance Jones slots in over Sherwood right now. He is going to have to prove he can perform in the AHL first, unless Sherwood falls off. What could you possibly have against the way that kid plays that you’d want him gone?
I never said immediately but once healthy he will be the obvious first call up.
Sherwood, Gibbons and Street are Ahl caliber and Anaheim has nothing invested in them and nothing long term

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
The funny part is that Dirk wants him in the lineup only because he thinks he's tough. But he hasn't shown he can consistently play physical without running into injury and discipline issues, and has rarely fought or faired overly well when he has.

For me, Jones is a project with intriguing physical tools, but a long way to go before he'll be ready to process the game well enough to be a top 9 forward at the NHL level.
Jones throws hits when have I ever posted he's a regular fighter or enforcer
He will be up because not only is he simply better than who he will be replacing but he has top 6 upside

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Jones throws hits when have I ever posted he's a regular fighter or enforcer
He will be up because not only is he simply better than who he will be replacing but he has top 6 upside

There's no reason for you to assume Jones is ahead of other prospects for a callup if he doesn't outperform them in the AHL first. I'm going to continue to maintain that you really haven't seen him play if you're putting him on a pedestal. Extremely underwhelming in the OHL, shows very little ability to make use of his teammates which is a pretty big prerequisite to being a top 6 NHL player.

He needs time in the AHL to round out his game, if we want him to be more than a 4th line energy guy.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
There's no reason for you to assume Jones is ahead of other prospects for a callup if he doesn't outperform them in the AHL first. I'm going to continue to maintain that you really haven't seen him play if you're putting him on a pedestal. Extremely underwhelming in the OHL, shows very little ability to make use of his teammates which is a pretty big prerequisite to being a top 6 NHL player.

He needs time in the AHL to round out his game, if we want him to be more than a 4th line energy guy.

That’s all he wants though..... 4 lines of “4th line energy guys” who fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad