Post-Game Talk: Plus-Minus Thread | Opener edition | Penguins 3, Devils 0

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
I really liked Maatta tonight, he is fast and can battle in the corners better than I thought he would be able to. At only 19 he has a boatload of potential and can only get better IMO.

On an unrelated note, someone take a picture of the stats page on NHL.com... Fleury leads every category for goalies. :laugh:

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Reminds me of a guy like a young Teppo Numminen, who debuted at 20. Nothing sexy to his game at all but the things that stand out are his mind, his positioning, how he works with his stick, and his calm presence. Unlike others, even tonight, he never once looked like he was chasing or struggling to see how the play was developing or losing track of guys.
Teppo's a good comparison style-wise. We tend to associate certain playing styles with certain countries and it's interesting to look at how it affects a guy who came up through the SML and a guy like Maatta with a North American influence from playing junior over here.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Reminds me of a guy like a young Teppo Numminen, who debuted at 20. Nothing sexy to his game at all but the things that stand out are his mind, his positioning, how he works with his stick, and his calm presence. Unlike others, even tonight, he never once looked like he was chasing or struggling to see how the play was developing or losing track of guys.

If Maatta's half the player Numminen was, we'll be very lucky fans.

Nobody was steadier in his own end.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Bonus plus: Bryzgalov in Vegas! Pure magic! Get cameras there immediately, hockey media.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Beau Bennett is going to be one of those Loui Eriksson type wingers. Does pretty much everything well, and is a player 29 other teams would love to have.

Maatta played well for his first game. I can see top pairing potential with him.

Fleury obviously had a great game. He seemed really in control of himself tonight. He wasn't overplaying pucks, and he was letting the puck hit him. Crossing fingers.

I thought Niskanen had a pretty solid game too. He's a real nice insurance policy to have on this blueline as long as we can afford him.

There really was no one on the team who I thought had a terrible game where I need to specifically comment on it.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
He got himself into some trouble and worked himself out of most. 50/50 here for me being his first game, which is pretty good.

All he needs is time.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. He's definitely going to be an NHLer. What he needs is size and time. Even outside of that hit, he's got a teenager's body still. Nothing a couple years and some muscle won't change.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Teppo's a good comparison style-wise. We tend to associate certain playing styles with certain countries and it's interesting to look at how it affects a guy who came up through the SML and a guy like Maatta with a North American influence from playing junior over here.

The reason Teppo came to mind was that there was nothing sexy about his game but that he was an absolute ice man back there who would make a mistake now and then (especially when he was younger) but never give you anything cheap. The positioning, the work he does with the stick, how he wedges you off the puck instead of hitting you . . . that was Teppo, and you can see that in Maatta.

I think he may put the Pens into a tough situation. He's not 100% there physically. But, usually you rush to return a guy to juniors because there are holes in his game. The only hole in Maatta's game is one that's only going to be addressed by playing in the NHL.

I joked earlier 'Maatta > Niskanen', but here's my true feeling on that: Niskanen has his limitations. He's a #4. That's it. Looked better tonight against an anemic Devils team and with Scuds to protect him. Maatta right now is a #6. You give him third pairing minutes, and he'll be a #4 caliber guy by later in the season.

I think you move Niskanen and bank the 1.4M in extra cap space to address needs. Let Maatta-Borts grow. If you think about how they worked tonight, the one thing they didn't do is concede the middle of the ice. They kept things outside. They had sticks in lanes and made sure Fleury could see the puck. IMO, the Pens SHOULD let them use the regular season to grow and reap the rewards in the playoffs. They won't, of course, but they should.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If Maatta's half the player Numminen was, we'll be very lucky fans.

Nobody was steadier in his own end.

I sadly am old enough to remember a young Numminen. People said the exact same thing about him then, that he just CAN'T be that young. I don't know if prime Maatta will get to prime Numminen level (odds are against it), but the similarities between the two as young players are there.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Does Maatta playing in the NHL before Pouliot mean much? I still see Maatta coming out ahead.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's a long season and the Pens just played one of the most offensively inept teams from last season, minus their most explosive player who jumped ship to the K.

I know the board expects so little from Glass and Adams that scoring a goal and getting a few hits looks great, but I saw the same **** as last season. They were constantly hemmed into their own end, and they lack the foot speed to cover their zones and close off the point (which is the biggest problem). They also didn't sustain any cycle in the Devils end whatsoever.

It's the first game and the Pens won, but I didn't see anything from those guys that has me feeling encouraged.

Like someone already said, now DB has an excuse to overlook what we saw all last season and through most of this game, because of a goal and a couple of hits.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Does Maatta playing in the NHL before Pouliot mean much? I still see Maatta coming out ahead.

Don't know. Pouliot always was described as a 'longer to get here, higher potential upside' guy. We'll have to wait and see.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
So what did everyone think of Maatta's debut?

I thought he did very well in his first NHL game. As others have noted, he seems more mature than his calendar age, good stick work, good positioning. Made some mistakes, but recovered from them. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

Should be interesting season Ovi is back.

Ovi may be scoring, but the Caps lost their first game and the Flames took this one to a shoot out. Scoring races are fun and all, but there are bigger prizes to be had.

I really liked Maatta tonight, he is fast and can battle in the corners better than I thought he would be able to. At only 19 he has a boatload of potential and can only get better IMO.

On an unrelated note, someone take a picture of the stats page on NHL.com... Fleury leads every category for goalies. :laugh:

And Rinne and Holtby were pulled. Bizarro world.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Not really.

I think the board is going a little overboard on the Maatta love. He didn't get abused and held his own, but it reminds me of people seeing things that aren't there, like they did with BB in his first 3 or 4 games.

His ticket to London is pretty much stamped unless he starts to really stand out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It's a long season and the Pens just played one of the most offensively inept teams from last season, minus their most explosive player who jumped ship to the K.

I know the board expects so little from Glass and Adams that scoring a goal and getting a few hits looks great, but I saw the same **** as last season. They were constantly hemmed into their own end, and they lack the foot speed to cover their zones and close off the point (which is the biggest problem). They also didn't sustain any cycle in the Devils end whatsoever.

It's the first game and the Pens won, but I didn't see anything from those guys that has me feeling encouraged.

Like someone already said, now DB has an excuse to overlook what we saw all last season and through most of this game, because of a goal and a couple of hits.

Oh how I wish that 4th line had been Sill-Vitale-Z. :cry:

There actually was someone here who defended the idea of Adams getting almost 6 minutes in the third and Bennett getting just under 3 and a half minutes. :shakehead

BTW, thoughts on the defensive 'structure'? Kind of liked the LW lock until they stopped bothering to run it. Also thought there was a much better effort to get sticks in lanes and keep the middle of the zone clear (of course, Maatta-Borts was the pairing that looked good in that regard, so I'm not sure if it was planned or they just don't know any better).

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here is my take...

Plus (Just the stuff not discussed as much)

+ Beau: I love the small things this kid does. The chip/one-touch pass to Sutter created the momentum going forward for the first goal. He also has tremendous vision. I just love what a gem we have in Beau. He's the real deal.

+ Bort: Miles and miles and miles better than he was last season. His confidence is really picking up, too. I loved how he played. He was skating very well and was strong on the puck.

+ Scuds: Scuds made me feel comfy w/ Nisky. He is so steady. I also loved the defense in general. Thought Orpik/Martin played incredible, too. But Scuds is a guy who just does so well with the defensive zone. He pushes people off their route and disrupts flow. I love having #4 back.

+ Defense in general: I really like the make up of our defense. If Nisky goes and Letang comes in, we look great. Maatta blew my mind with how good he skated and passed. He's still 2 years away but we have a gem on our hands, boys. He's awesome. I guess Nisky will stay for the time being.

Minus

- Coaching decisions: 4th line against Jagr line early in the 1st period. Absolutely not. Putting the 4th line out there after 2 goals to ruin momentum. Absolutely not. Just STUPID piss-poor decisions like that can hurt you in the playoffs.

- No Support: Our breakout is strictly throwing the puck to the red line, chipping, and chasing. We do not support up the ice at all. The only time it actually worked, it executed perfectly w/ Beau to Sutter - shot off pads - goal by Koby.

- No puck possession in the o-zone: We are not a cycling team any more. This is where we miss Jordan Staal the most. I'm also going to start holding Sutter accountable because he's a push over when he's in the corners.

- This team is no different from last year. They have no support and don't make simple plays. Watch LA, Chicago, & Boston. They use area passes and chip into open space. We do not do that. They also come up with speed together AT LEAST on occasion. I hope fans watch how these guys play. It's playoff hockey. They also cycle very well. We focus solely on individual talent. I expect same results until I can see some fundamental changes. Luckily, it's a LONG season.

- I hate Glass. Worthless crap ass hockey player. He actually played decent and I still hate him. He's awful. DJ is even more worthless as a 4th line center. Just cut him and let him fulfill his career on another team's 3rd line.

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
Not really.

I think the board is going a little overboard on the Maatta love. He didn't get abused and held his own, but it reminds me of people seeing things that aren't there, like they did with BB in his first 3 or 4 games.

His ticket to London is pretty much stamped unless he starts to really stand out.

I don't think that he played THAT great. I was just curious...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Not really.

I think the whole 'not looking out of place' thing is what's caused the love. Like BB, he did the little things well and looked like he belonged. BB built on it from there (and with little support from the coaches), to the point where he's one of the top four wingers (and that, IMO, is a conservative estimate). Maatta was the 6th best defenseman on the ice. BUT, I'll get if he actually stayed, then he's a better defenseman than Nisky by the end of the year.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
And I know it's been beaten to death, but a 4th line of Z, Vitale, and Adams even would be fun. It just makes too much sense. Sooooo much energy.

Also.. I'm going to be rough on Sutter this season. He needs to step it up. His puck possession skills are awful. It needs fixed. He needs to find a role here because he faltered big time last postseason.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jiggy... I know we have mutual respect when it comes to hockey talk. Maatta deserves every single ounce of credit. His skating and his passing is tremendous. He's a gem. He will be a top pairing. He needs strength and professional experience now.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

There you go. I'm sure he'll stay near the top anyways. Wins that is.

Fleurystatsleader_zps4eeb5183.png

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

When it comes to Glass, it's all relative. He played a good game for a 4th liner, even minus the speed and puck possession.

That's a freaking supernova.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Here is my take...

Plus (Just the stuff not discussed as much)

+ Beau: I love the small things this kid does. The chip/one-touch pass to Sutter created the momentum going forward for the first goal. He also has tremendous vision. I just love what a gem we have in Beau. He's the real deal.

+ Bort: Miles and miles and miles better than he was last season. His confidence is really picking up, too. I loved how he played. He was skating very well and was strong on the puck.

+ Scuds: Scuds made me feel comfy w/ Nisky. He is so steady. I also loved the defense in general. Thought Orpik/Martin played incredible, too. But Scuds is a guy who just does so well with the defensive zone. He pushes people off their route and disrupts flow. I love having #4 back.

+ Defense in general: I really like the make up of our defense. If Nisky goes and Letang comes in, we look great. Maatta blew my mind with how good he skated and passed. He's still 2 years away but we have a gem on our hands, boys. He's awesome. I guess Nisky will stay for the time being.

Minus

- Coaching decisions: 4th line against Jagr line early in the 1st period. Absolutely not. Putting the 4th line out there after 2 goals to ruin momentum. Absolutely not. Just STUPID piss-poor decisions like that can hurt you in the playoffs.

- No Support: Our breakout is strictly throwing the puck to the red line, chipping, and chasing. We do not support up the ice at all. The only time it actually worked, it executed perfectly w/ Beau to Sutter - shot off pads - goal by Koby.

- No puck possession in the o-zone: We are not a cycling team any more. This is where we miss Jordan Staal the most. I'm also going to start holding Sutter accountable because he's a push over when he's in the corners.

- This team is no different from last year. They have no support and don't make simple plays. Watch LA, Chicago, & Boston. They use area passes and chip into open space. We do not do that. They also come up with speed together AT LEAST on occasion. I hope fans watch how these guys play. It's playoff hockey. They also cycle very well. We focus solely on individual talent. I expect same results until I can see some fundamental changes. Luckily, it's a LONG season.

- I hate Glass. Worthless crap ass hockey player. He actually played decent and I still hate him. He's awful. DJ is even more worthless as a 4th line center. Just cut him and let him fulfill his career on another team's 3rd line.

1. Good news/bad news. Neal is out. So, Bylsma says Bennett will practice AND play with Geno and JJ. No, really, he said it's going to happen. ;)

2. Wrote this a few minutes ago, and I think an 'older' one like you may appreciate: Maatta reminds me of a young Teppo Numminen. Odd to consider: I was never really afraid of Maatta-Borts being out there (yes, I know, NJ is offensively anemic).

3. Don't you just wish that 4th line had been Sill-Vitale-Z?

4. What did you think of what the Pens did structurally defensively? The LW lock looked decent, but I'm interested in your thoughts here. Improvement? Did it look like they were trying a few things?

MonsterSurge

Nov 14, 2011
And I know it's been beaten to death, but a 4th line of Z, Vitale, and Adams even would be fun. It just makes too much sense. Sooooo much energy.

Also.. I'm going to be rough on Sutter this season. He needs to step it up. His puck possession skills are awful. It needs fixed. He needs to find a role here because he faltered big time last postseason.

Vitale, Sill, and Scrabbles would be awesome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad