Post-Game Talk: Plus-Minus Thread | Opener edition | Penguins 3, Devils 0

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
+ Fleury. Baby steps. I'll take it.

+ Kobasew and his style make me feel a lot better about the third line going forward. Think he's a much better fit than D'Agostini.

+ Outside of one bad turnover, Bennett showed why he's going to be an asset playing on either the second or the third line. I really have no problem with him being an engine for the third line (when Neal is healthy) with the grit he's shown in his game.

- Glass, taking a dumb penalty when he's trusted with minutes late in the game. Lucky it was a three-goal game at that point. Bylsma also yelled at him to "stop the ****ing yapping" during that timeout after the lousy icing call because he was still talking to the refs when they were trying to diagram a play.

- Hybrid icing in general. Not a fan.

- Haven't heard if it's the same injury for Neal yet or a new one, but it's easy to second-guess why he was playing at all tonight if it was in doubt.

Hack away, boys.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Bennett was really feeling it at the end of the 2nd period and was promptly given less ice time.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
+ MAF - Playoffs are all that matters for him and us, but it's still great to see a big win to start off the season. I'm definitely rooting for him to have a great year and playoffs, because if not this is definitely his last one here. Go Flower.

+ Glass - Guy had a good game, credit where it's due.

+ Bennett - Beast, everywhere.

+ The D - Everyone was good out there. We missed Letang's skillset back there but they locked it down for most of the game. I forgot how solid Scuderi was too.

- Kunitz - Looked like he could have used another preseason game... or ten.

- Put me on the 'against hybrid icing' team too. It's dumb and that icing on Glass was dumb.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
+ Fleury
+ Glass didn't suck
+ Beaunerville
+ Maatta (for the most part)

- Bob Errey has found a new object for his Freudian man-lust (Maatta), bringing back talk of long reaches and big sticks. It's almost enough to make me hope Oli gets sent back to London in a few games.

- Steigerwald... you two ass-clowns need to decide if you're hockey announcers or PR (wo)men. Or MAF's *****.

shaler79

May 7, 2013
Michigan
+ MAF solid game great penalty shot save. Behind the back save will be an awesome gif
+ Hate to say it Tanner Glass. solid game. Physical. actually showed some speed. Dumb penalty at end.
+ Orpik physical presence nice hits on Jagr and Elias

- Malkin awful giveaway. Floated too much. Got knocked off puckDoesn't hustle every game like the other $8 million dollar man.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
-- to everyone but MAF and Sid: any game in which we get outshot by offensively challenged team
but its only first game

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
+ MAF solid game great penalty shot save. Behind the back save will be an awesome gif
+ Hate to say it Tanner Glass. solid game. Physical. actually showed some speed. Dumb penalty at end.
+ Orpik physical presence nice hits on Jagr and Elias

- Malkin awful giveaway. Floated too much. Got knocked off puckDoesn't hustle every game like the other $8 million dollar man.

oh boy here we go again:help:

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
-- to everyone but MAF and Sid: any game in which we get outshot by offensively challenged team
but its only first game
If tonight is any indication at all, I think people are going to have to get used to shot totals like that. Looks like they're really going to collapse around the net defensively when they get a lead.

Not a coincidence that all three goals today came in transition on the counterattack.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
+ Maatta. Rookie mistakes aside, he looked solid
+ 3rd line
+ Jacques Martin

+/- Flower and Glass giving us (false) hope

- Beauner getting 12:46 of ice time :laugh:

:cry:

- Neal (re)injury

Buff Ew

Sep 10, 2013
Centerville, OH
+ Team Defense...and still scored 3
+ MAF...positioning
+ Bennett...kid can make plays
+ Bortuzzo...solid hits
+ Sutter...some fire in him for a change
+ Kobasew...nice start for him

+/- Kunitz...looked 1/2 step slow out there...time to worry?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
+ Flower
+ Malkin ... He can turn any winger into a 40 goal scorer :sarcasm:
+ Tanner Glass for taking that penalty there at the end so HFBoards didn't completely melt down

Bizarro world tonight, eh? I think I even saw the team playing some defense. Nice start to the season

ss53mech

Nov 27, 2010
Jacksonville NC
+Overall defensive zone play
-Tried to force too much stuff at the offensive blue line. Against a more skilled/faster team that's just asking for trouble.
+Flower, not saying he had a world changing game but there's something about "how he was making saves"/"style" that inclines me to have hope that maybe just maybe he can return to his former ways.
-Das Kun/Duper looked slow and off time most of the night. They have a long enough track record of success that I'll give them a pass for now.

Aside from that I'll just generally agree with what everyone else already said.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
oh boy here we go again:help:

What did you expect? Set up Neal, JJ, and Bennett for prime looks all night. Sets up a goal for Adams on which Glass gets the other assist (that he's now done that with those two and Gill/Scuds means there should be no HHOF waiting period . . . he should be in now :laugh:). Hawking the puck all night. Line juggled all night (maybe 3-4 shifts with Bennett AFTER Neal went down). So typical . . . :laugh:

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Matt Niskanen had 5 blocked shots
Rob Scuderi showed what we have been missing.
Maatta was very poised minus a couple hiccups. Smart player.
Bortuzzo looks like a different player. Solid.
I like Glass, Adams, Kobesew a lot
Jokinen was all over the place.

I really thought Kunitz and Duper were awful. Kunitz looked tired, weird in game 1?
Duper was making bad decisions.

Flower was a beast.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Beau with the 2nd lowest ES mins after Jeffrey. If he isn't top 6, he should at least get top 9 minutes.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+ Team Defense...and still scored 3
+ MAF...positioning
+ Bennett...kid can make plays
+ Bortuzzo...solid hits
+ Sutter...some fire in him for a change
+ Kobasew...nice start for him

+/- Kunitz...looked 1/2 step slow out there...time to worry?

Sid impressed me. Kunitz-Sid-Duper did not. Maybe a half dozen sweet shifts against a meh team (good structure, not great defensive personnel). Pretty much what one would expect from the best regular season line in hockey.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
- Dupuis and Kunitz. Those two are going to stress me out.
- Bennett's minutes.
- Niskanen's stupid moment.
- Injuries.

+ Fleury, but it's just one regular season game. Steiggy.
+ Maatta was damn impressive.
+ Bortuzzo.
+ Kobasew is fitting in well.
+ "Team toughness"
+ Crosby

Shooting Crosby or passing Crosby?

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
We've come to expect it from him but I think Sid deserves a + for being a faceoff monster at 68%. Also looked sharp as ever. If only his wingers hadn't fumbled pretty much every attack he set them up for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->