Post-Game Talk: Plus-Minus Thread | Opener edition | Penguins 3, Devils 0

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Is Filip Forsberg really ready? I figured he was only (supposed to be) playing because Nashville truly desperately needs offense. If Forsberg was a Penguin odds are he'd still be in Sweden.

BB has some of the best defensive acumen I've seen in a Pens rookie fwd in years and DB still keeps benching him.

Anyone who thinks FF, who is very raw defensively, would play a significant role under DB, is living in a nice fantasy world.

I don't even think Trouba makes this team under DB, especially given that brutal third he had last night. He would be scratched, have his ice time reduced and eventually be in the A (no jr rules apply).

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
He was on their first line before he got hurt (he should be back this week). He should prolly play on our 3rd line with Sutter and JJ, but that doesn't mean DB wouldn't send him to the AHL.

Also, having him in our system would greatly subdue the feeling that we need to trade Des for a forward, which IMO would be a mistake.

I don't think Nashville's placement of him means a lot. They're in the position to throw a kid with offensive upside out there before he's ready because they need what he might bring so badly.

And whose feeling is that? I don't think that matters either unless Ray Shero himself is out there saying he's looking into exactly that type of trade.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
BB has some of the best defensive acumen I've seen in a Pens rookie fwd in years and DB still keeps benching him.

Anyone who thinks FF, who is very raw defensively, would play a significant role under DB, is living in a nice fantasy world.

I don't even think Trouba makes this team under DB, especially given that brutal third he had last night. He would be scratched, have his ice time reduced and eventually be in the A (no jr rules apply).

Regardless of one's thoughts on Bylsma's use of young players (really I'm just sick of that discussion, no offense), I don't think it makes a lot of sense to compare Pittsburgh's prospects to those of teams who are on the bubble or worse in terms of readiness just because their guys are playing in the NHL right now (and only 1-2 years after they were drafted). Teams like the Jets and Predators don't have as much depth as the Penguins and have much more obvious and serious flaws. Those teams often need to let highly-touted young players prove themselves as they fill holes because they just don't have other options.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I don't think Nashville's placement of him means a lot. They're in the position to throw a kid with offensive upside out there before he's ready because they need what he might bring so badly.

And whose feeling is that? I don't think that matters either unless Ray Shero himself is out there saying he's looking into exactly that type of trade.

True the Preds have more spots to fill, but FF is still a great yound prospect. DB prolly wouldn't play him, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the top 9.

I'm goin off the ANA thread about trading Des. Who knows what shero is think about him, but moving Des for a winger seems like a possibility. Also, Shero said he moved Morrow because he had DP in the system. I'd much rather have J Morrow and FF than DP and B Morrow.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Regardless of one's thoughts on Bylsma's use of young players (really I'm just sick of that discussion, no offense), I don't think it makes a lot of sense to compare Pittsburgh's prospects to those of teams who are on the bubble or worse in terms of readiness just because their guys are playing in the NHL right now (and only 1-2 years after they were drafted). Teams like the Jets and Predators don't have as much depth as the Penguins and have much more obvious and serious flaws. Those teams often need to let highly-touted young players prove themselves as they fill holes because they just don't have other options.

I'm as sick as anyone of the discussion, but DB is DB so it isn't going away anytime soon.

The point still stands: these kids are on teams that need them and those org are willing to put up with their mistakes as they grow and develop.

On the Pens, FF 100% without a doubt would be in the A until he learned how to play in his own end. Trouba would of most assuredly been benched after those turnovers he had agt LA. Trouba is a great young talent, but he is going to make tons of mistakes like he did last night.

Anyone think DB would let him play through it when he could be sent to the A to learn?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad