Post-Game Talk: Plus-Minus Thread | Opener edition | Penguins 3, Devils 0

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So he says, so he says. :laugh:

No, really, he means it. Vitale will dress next game. You see, the shortened bench prevented him from playing with Geno. Makes perfect sense if you think it through. #BYLSLOGIC

Smacker

#LetsGoPens
Aug 15, 2012
+ MAF was really good. Solid game.
+ Defense.
+ Määttä, good first game in the NHL.
+ 3rd line.
+ Sid.

= Glass

- Kunitz.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Oh, and + to the Pens FO for removing Jags from the locker room ... maybe the first home game Jags hasn't scored?

Guins71

Mar 22, 2004
+ Fleury's performance tonight

- Steigy and Errey spending the last 5 minutes acting like Fleury hasn't had major problems the past 4 years.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Plus you want a guy to struggle a little. Tyler Myers really didn't and now he is a train wreck.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
+Flower, not saying he had a world changing game but there's something about "how he was making saves"/"style" that inclines me to have hope that maybe just maybe he can return to his former ways.

He was calm and controlled in net, rarely out of position, and swallowed up a lot of pucks. Aside from the one pass to Niskanen, he kept puck movement quick and simple. All in all, it's exactly what we needed to see from him; now he just needs to feed off it and power his way to a career year!

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
So what did everyone think of Maatta's debut?

Reminds me of a guy like a young Teppo Numminen, who debuted at 20. Nothing sexy to his game at all but the things that stand out are his mind, his positioning, how he works with his stick, and his calm presence. Unlike others, even tonight, he never once looked like he was chasing or struggling to see how the play was developing or losing track of guys.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Very impressed. He's very poised for such a young guy. He looks like he has years in the league, already. Certainly some nerves, there but overall he was solid. He even largely did a great job covering up his own (very occasional) screw-ups. Very nice first pass, too. And a great stick... very active and crafty.

They look like they have a keeper, for sure. He (should) make it tough on them when it comes time to make a decision, if he keeps it up.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Come on, UM, you should know me better than that!

Bate and hook.:laugh:

Moving along, it is nice having two 3rd line wingers who'r not one trick ponies. Not so much Cooke, but definitely, Kennedy.

I'm quite excited to see this Bennett, Sutter, Kobasew for 82.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Reminds me of a guy like a young Teppo Numminen, who debuted at 20. Nothing sexy to his game at all but the things that stand out are his mind, his positioning, how he works with his stick, and his calm presence. Unlike others, even tonight, he never once looked like he was chasing or struggling to see how the play was developing or losing track of guys.

Let's hope he has a better ticker.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Very impressed. He's very poised for such a young guy. He looks like he has years in the league, already. Certainly some nerves, there but overall he was solid. He even largely did a great job covering up his own (very occasional) screw-ups. Very nice first pass, too. And a great stick... very active and crafty.

They look like they have a keeper, for sure. He (should) make it tough on them when it comes time to make a decision, if he keeps it up.

I think it also bears mentioning that, for all intents and purposes, you basically had a rookie third pairing back there and they never found themselves in a situation where the middle of the ice (the prime scoring areas) was unprotected.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Not good but not bad. Made some mistakes but bailed himself out of them. I think/hope he'll be returned to London eventually but for now he's getting good experience and more or less held his own tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad