Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Red Wings - Yiiiiiiiiikes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Except with an edge, a determination to protect the house on the PK, and a shot that can break a wet paper bag.

I really don't understand why it hasn't been tried this year. It's not like Martin has been killing it on his own pairing.

The only 3 reasons I can come up with are:

1.) They see Letang and Martin as their best 2 dmen and want each to anchor their own pair
2.) Martin is going to be traded so they want to find Letang's long term partner
3.) They are a new regime and want to change things for the sake of changing things

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Pens system is their problem. Now team is build around two players. If they they show up - Pens win games, if not, well... you know. Bad defense and not top goalie.
My opinion - trade Malkin. You can't trade Crosby, because he is your francise. So trade Malkin for goalie and defense pieces.

This is absurd. Destroy is an accurate handle given this comment.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Sid has been really poor lately. I can't wait for Bennett to come back.

Our D needs a bollocking as well.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Pens system is their problem. Now team is build around two players. If they they show up - Pens win games, if not, well... you know. Bad defense and not top goalie.
My opinion - trade Malkin. You can't trade Crosby, because he is your francise. So trade Malkin for goalie and defense pieces.

Ya no... sorry, but this is just ridiculous. Not even close to what this team needs.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
Now that I've cooled off from last night and I'm not having a knee jerk reaction I would still say we should trade Letang.

Honestly, he is SO overrated because of his skating and speed. His shot is terrible, his IQ and vision are mediocre, and he's never come up big when we needed him to.

Someone might look at his point totals and think they're impressive, but I challenge those people to go back and look at our top pairing defenseman since Geno and Sid have been around and they'll see the numbers are very comparable.

Career high in goals is 11… for someone thats supposed to be an elite offensive defenseman in this league? Thats a joke, right. Like I said, you take ANY defenseman in this league and put him on our top pairing and PP and he'll produce just as much as Letang. Letangs skating and speed just make him seem like he's so much better than he actually is. And we're paying this guy 7.25?! For what?

There's twelve teams we can't send him to. Find the best deal out of the remaining teams and ship his ass outta town! Olli Maatta will be a more complete player than Letang, he will produce just the same, AND we have Pouliot coming in no time at all. We do not need Letang. I would trade him before I would trade Martin, too. Sending him packing would deliver a hell of a message to the team and could fetch us some serious pieces to help Sid and Geno.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
People are overreacting, lol at the guy who said we need to trade Malkin ...

I remember someone created a thread about our Regular season prediction and everyone on this board said that we were going to be BAD during the first weeks-months. Now it seems like people are all forgetting about it or trying to get attention by posting some crazy ass solution that are impossible and/or extremly stupid.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
yes, but you need changes, right?

We've made significant changes. Coach, GM, 40% roster overhaul and we are 6 games into the season. There's been enough change for now other than bringing in another top 6 winger. Let's be patient and see how things play out.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Can't believe how bad they've been these last two games. Team needs a shakeup right now. Shuffle the top 6, sit one of the useless old guys, or make an impact trade. Some of the issues we saw today go beyond system implementation.

destroy

Feb 15, 2014
Do we need a move or 2, yes... bench/dump Scuds/Adams, move Martin for top 6 help for Malkin... trade Malkin, no chance on earth.. how does that help?
ok, maybe its too harsh to move Geno. But how you solve goalie situation then? I like Flower, he is nice person, but he is unstable in playoffs.

Gold Diamond

Watermarks
Jul 11, 2008
Coatesville, PA
I'm calling out Paul Martin, Christian Ehrhoff and Kristopher Letang. These guys are vets, but are playing like complete hot garbage.

All three of them have played MUCH, MUCH better in the past - their resumes speak for themselves.

Get your **** heads out of your ***es and play hockey like you are supposed to. 2 blown leads late in the last 4 games.

Disgusting. Embarrassing.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
A Martin partner. Letang has regularly been paired with some quality defensemen this year and hasn't looked very good.

Granted it's early, but whether people like it or not he's the cornerstone of our blueline because of his pricetag and we need him to play much smarter, pronto. Martin seems to be the only path to that end as things stand.

Maatta has been the only guy who's been ok so far this season. People keep talking up Martin as this Norris caliber stabilizer, and yet he's been no better than Letang this year playing with the same rotation of D-men.

And using Letang's contract against him is dumb, b/c Martin will be getting a hefty raise in a year's time. I'll take Letang moving forward.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

I remember someone created a thread about our Regular season prediction and everyone on this board said that we were going to be BAD during the first weeks-months. Now it seems like people are all forgetting about it.

:laugh: Yup I recall that. Generally speaking, I've been pleased with the team overall. I think the problem is how they collapsed and gave away 2 wins so far. I am confident they will continue to get better over time.

I really like the make up of our bottom 6 when healthy. Downie and Comeau have added physicality and grit along with some skill. Spaling has added a lot of versatility. We don't have any wasted lines with a healthy roster.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
ok, maybe its too harsh to move Geno. But how you solve goalie situation then? I like Flower, he is nice person, but he is unstable in playoffs.

That's an issue but you can't solve all potential issues in one off season and certainly not by trading away a top 3 player in the world.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh

And what trade would you make that would help the team in that case? Even in a theoretical case that we could get anyone there is no goalie that is close to the value of Malkin and then once you move back to reality it's even worse.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I remember someone created a thread about our Regular season prediction and everyone on this board said that we were going to be BAD during the first weeks-months. Now it seems like people are all forgetting about it.

I expected the team to struggle and have up and down games up until mid-late December or January when they will finally really hit their stride with the new system. It's a lot of years of re-programming. Crosby is the one guy that really needs to buy into the system, I know he's going to produce overall, but he's had a few bad games in a row right now, where he's just not looked like he's fully dialed in. Also, knee-jerk reactions to trade Geno or Tanger, would be stupid.

The only two guys I am open to seeing gone no matter what are Martin and Scuderi and one for UFA purposes and the other to just dump a bad contract and player.

I've given up thinking Adams will ever be gone. Also Rutherford's comments about MAF is tough to hear but I hope he doesn't sign him until he sees what he's done for this season.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

They can't solve it unless they want to take a big chance and get Jarry up here. That's why he will probably be re-signed and everyone here will wonder why, regardless of the fact that some of us have been saying there's no move to be made other than to keep him. I supposed a tandem would be the only other option.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
The disparity is accurate, because I think anyone that thinks Letang isn't at least a notch below Subban is kidding themselves.

Subban was out of control until they hired a former Pittsburgh head coach. Who the coach is matters and this is not a shot at Johnston but at the former regime who coached Letang here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad