Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Red Wings - Yiiiiiiiiikes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I knew we'd see a lot of struggle with the new system and style of play. What I never thought I'd see is a team who doesn't battle. It really is annoying. They just don't hustle or care. It makes no sense. Their sense of urgency is lacking so bad.

Plus

+ Greiss: Very simple - without Greiss, we don't even get a point. So many point blank chances all night long. Embarrassing defense.

Greiss is poised and solid. Everything that Fleury is not. No - he won't make any fantastic saves like Fleury or steal any game with athleticism. He just does what he is comfortable doing. He slows the game down, plays the puck with poise, and doesn't panic. THAT'S what this team needs. They don't need the most athletic goalie in the league. They need someone to not give it away.

+ Comeau: It's early but his play is great. Really good. Nothing I ever expected. If his work rate stays the same, I'm perfectly fine with leaving him on the 2nd line.

+ Maatta: Some sloppy play but by far our best defender. Not just because his goal. Because he's playing much better. His confidence is growing each game. I really liked how he defended tonight.

+ Goc: Faceoffs are key and the guy is over 60% on the season. Very underrated player for us this season.

+ Dupers: Man what can you say? He's been solid. His clears on the PK are great. He's scoring goals. It doesn't even look like he missed games last year.

Minus

- Defense: The ****ing worst. I don't have words for how bad they are playing. No tenacity. No urgency. They play like complete dog ****. Our defense is so bad. We have way too much talent for them to play this bad. They leave wide open shots in the slot in a 1 goal game. How the **** does that happen?

- Crosby: What the **** was that Sid? He reverted back to east-west passing and sloppy play. This is one of the first times he deserves all the criticism he gets. He played like a little baby tonight. You could just tell he was agitated. Very unlike Sid.

- Defensive zone: They don't turn around and pick guys up, clear the net, and they are turning the puck over way too much. I touched on it last night so i'm not going to waste time. Just look at last night's write up for our defensive zone issues. The same guys are playing very poorly. Martin, Ehrhoff, Scuds, & Letang are playing piss poor hockey.

They have to just play with a mean streak. Clear the hell out of the front of the net because teams are having their way with us.

- Lack of heart: We don't play as if the game matters. No passion. No heart. Our battle level is extremely low. Especially in the defensive zone. I would like the team to find a bit of a chip on their shoulder and play as if it matters. Because the last 5 years have been embarrassing and the team should wear that wound to remind them.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
How I'm feeling after this game:

Personnages-celebres-Troll-face-Troll-face-fuuuu-28382.png

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Minus:

Passing up shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot after shot.

The Wings shot whenever they had the chance. Whaddya know.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
Well, the goal wasn't his fault, but Sid was back looping yet again at the blueline when the puck is down low, turned over and put in the goal, he could atleast look like he's trying to help instead of waiting for the breakout. Really bad game by him.

Kinda worrying, it's not even high pressure time yet.

Actually most worrying is that it doesn't seem the coaching change fixed them visibly looking like they give up when it matters, you can lose without looking like you stopped trying, that whole end of the game they looked like they stopped trying, atleast the guys you expect to carry this team did.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
+Maatta, Dupuis

-$25 million in salary. Our three money players were all very, very bad for one reason or another

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Defensive zone play is an absolute trainwreck. But, by all means, let's keep Harrington as a scratched #8 so he plays in neither the NHL nor AHL.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
I knew we'd see a lot of struggle with the new system and style of play. What I never thought I'd see is a team who doesn't battle. It really is annoying. They just don't hustle or care. It makes no sense. Their sense of urgency is lacking so bad.

Plus

+ Greiss: Very simple - without Greiss, we don't even get a point. So many point blank chances all night long. Embarrassing defense.

Greiss is poised and solid. Everything that Fleury is not. No - he won't make any fantastic saves like Fleury or steal any game with athleticism. He just does what he is comfortable doing. He slows the game down, plays the puck with poise, and doesn't panic. THAT'S what this team needs. They don't need the most athletic goalie in the league. They need someone to not give it away.

+ Comeau: It's early but his play is great. Really good. Nothing I ever expected. If his work rate stays the same, I'm perfectly fine with leaving him on the 2nd line.

+ Maatta: Some sloppy play but by far our best defender. Not just because his goal. Because he's playing much better. His confidence is growing each game. I really liked how he defended tonight.

+ Goc: Faceoffs are key and the guy is over 60% on the season. Very underrated player for us this season.

+ Dupers: Man what can you say? He's been solid. His clears on the PK are great. He's scoring goals. It doesn't even look like he missed games last year.

Minus

- Defense: The ****ing worst. I don't have words for how bad they are playing. No tenacity. No urgency. They play like complete dog ****. Our defense is so bad. We have way too much talent for them to play this bad. They leave wide open shots in the slot in a 1 goal game. How the **** does that happen?

- Crosby: What the **** was that Sid? He reverted back to east-west passing and sloppy play. This is one of the first times he deserves all the criticism he gets. He played like a little baby tonight. You could just tell he was agitated. Very unlike Sid.

- Defensive zone: They don't turn around and pick guys up, clear the net, and they are turning the puck over way too much. I touched on it last night so i'm not going to waste time. Just look at last night's write up for our defensive zone issues. The same guys are playing very poorly. Martin, Ehrhoff, Scuds, & Letang are playing piss poor hockey.

They have to just play with a mean streak. Clear the hell out of the front of the net because teams are having their way with us.

- Lack of heart: We don't play as if the game matters. No passion. No heart. Our battle level is extremely low. Especially in the defensive zone. I would like the team to find a bit of a chip on their shoulder and play as if it matters. Because the last 5 years have been embarrassing and the team should wear that wound to remind them.

What "system" exactly? Aside from the PP I see nothing new or noteworthy about this season's edition of the Pens. If anything they look even WORSE than they ever did under DB! THis is the worst we've looked defensively in a LONG time.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
At this point I don't care if we start entirely inexperienced rookies on our defense. This defense core we have is awful. And our team defense as a whole is incredibly lacking in the critical moments of the game when they should be stepping up.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
+TERRIBLE TANG'ER
+TERRIBLE SCUD'ER
+TERRIBLE MARTIN'ER

+++++++GREISS, composure and excellent hockey.
+++++++COMEAU on Line 2. Good show.

Greiss can't possibly get a plus for tonight. He completely Fleury'd that game.

You crazy, dude?!

It would've been 7-3 DET, if MAF had been in net.

Nothing you can do as a goalie with a bunch of aging dodos, behind you, on Defense.

I want Tocchet to throw some punches in that locker room tonight.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm really starting to think it doesn't matter who the coach is, the core of this team is seriously flawed.

MJ and JR have ALOT of work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad