Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens vs. Red Wings - Yiiiiiiiiikes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Lately I've gotten the impression he's not well-liked around here. He's bad right now, but I'm one of the few that just doesn't see trading him (barring them going in the tank and having to shake things up). He IS an above average defenseman. If you want to win now you don't trade him you use him. I'll say it til I'm blue in the face: The worst thing that ever happened to this team's cap situation is feeling like they couldn't do without Letang. Obviously he's a good player, but they would've been better off him going somewhere else. That's just the way I feel.

Well, Letang's here. And Martin's not signed and showing signs of having one foot out the door on and off the ice.

Martin is going to be paid very close to what Letang's making right now. I think Letang can be an idiot, but I'd rather have him. He's just as good defensively when he's locked in like this past postseason. And is just a superior talent. He's also entering his prime and not leaving it like Martin.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Lately I've gotten the impression he's not well-liked around here. He's bad right now, but I'm one of the few that just doesn't see trading him (barring them going in the tank and having to shake things up). He IS an above average defenseman. If you want to win now you don't trade him you use him. I'll say it til I'm blue in the face: The worst thing that ever happened to this team's cap situation is feeling like they couldn't do without Letang. Obviously he's a good player, but they would've been better off him going somewhere else. That's just the way I feel.

I really liked Paul Martin last season, but he hasn't kept up his play this season. Letang's cap hit is going to be alright next year. Look at what players like Subban are earning now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, Letang's here. And Martin's not signed and showing signs of having one foot out the door on and off the ice.

Martin is going to be paid very close to what Letang's making right now. I think Letang can be an idiot, but I'd rather have him. He's just as good defensively when he's locked in like this past postseason. And is just a superior talent. He's also entering his prime and not leaving it like Martin.

Worth noting who he was paired with in that situation though.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Posting this here, too:

@penguins
Scoring change: The NHL is crediting Simon Despres with an assist on Dupuis’ goal last night. Despres had a career-high 2A in the game.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Defense looking like a complete trash? Sent Harrington to WBS.. Looks about right. I´m sure that Bylsma would appreciate this as well.

I´m trying hard to stay patient with all this ***t surrounding us right now. It´s not easy, though. Our defense should be our strength, it looks good on the paper. It´s so unacceptable from our vets (Ehrhoff, Martin, Letang... Scuderi is only meeting our expectations). I will give Despres a pass, for now, but I would have no problem with trading him as well.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Posting this here, too:

@penguins
Scoring change: The NHL is crediting Simon Despres with an assist on Dupuis’ goal last night. Despres had a career-high 2A in the game.

Thanks you. It's worth noting that he broke up a good scoring chance with that assist as well. How some people are griping about his game last night is lost on me.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
A stable partner? Sure. Letang hasn't had many of those. I guess Orpik in 10-11 before he really went downhill. And Mark Eaton?

A Martin partner. Letang has regularly been paired with some quality defensemen this year and hasn't looked very good.

Granted it's early, but whether people like it or not he's the cornerstone of our blueline because of his pricetag and we need him to play much smarter, pronto. Martin seems to be the only path to that end as things stand.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
A Martin partner. Letang has regularly been paired with some quality defensemen this year and hasn't looked very good.

Granted it's early, but whether people like it or not he's the cornerstone of our blueline because of his pricetag and we need him to play much smarter, pronto. Martin seems to be the only path to that end as things stand.

Just this year Letang has been paired with Martin last season and Ehrhoff during the preseason. He looked good in both situations. We put him with Maatta over the last couple games and they have both been minus players who haven't put up any points. It is like the power play, too many players that like to hold on to the puck and not shoot. Maatta and Letang don't work with each other. Haven't under Bylsma, won't under Johnston.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Really the bottom line is we just need more out of our top players right now. Sid has had two terrible games in a row, Geno is getting better but still not where he needs to be, Letang can be so much better than he's been, and Ehrhoff and Martin have been tire fires that are both capable of much better hockey.

Fleury has also stank.

So....put all that together and you have what we have which is a team where the best players are playing badly. You won't win like that. You can make any trades you want to try to shake things up, but if Sid plays like he did last night we're gonna be ******.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Really the bottom line is we just need more out of our top players right now. Sid has had two terrible games in a row, Geno is getting better but still not where he needs to be, Letang can be so much better than he's been, and Ehrhoff and Martin have been tire fires that are both capable of much better hockey.

Fleury has also stank.

So....put all that together and you have what we have which is a team where the best players are playing badly. You won't win like that. You can make any trades you want to try to shake things up, but if Sid plays like he did last night we're gonna be ******.

Definitely alot of truth here. I see alot of systemic issues as well to go with it but this team, as is, is capable of alot more.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
im very unsophisticated in my understanding of the games deeper strategies, but am i crazy in seeing that some of the bottom 6ers seem more adept at the neutral zone puck possession game than our top 6? steve downie in particular seems to really make smart short neutral zone passes that create easy entries with speed.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
We need to get Harrington in. If we want a guy similar to Martin, he's it.

Except with an edge, a determination to protect the house on the PK, and a shot that can break a wet paper bag.

Yup for sure. Martin was a big stabilizing force for Letang last playoffs.

I really don't understand why it hasn't been tried this year. It's not like Martin has been killing it on his own pairing.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Weird, my post about scoring lines was made in the trades thread, got posted here, now it's back in the trades thread. ****in iPhone.....

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I really don't understand why it hasn't been tried this year. It's not like Martin has been killing it on his own pairing.

It is weird, very weird considering how the defense has largely been struggling and that pairing worked so well before. The only thing I can think of is if they know he's going to be traded, but at this point I'd still try it in an attempt the get things running.

If Letang only looks good with Martin they could have a serious problem on their hands... so that's probably what will eventually happen.

destroy

Feb 15, 2014
Pens system is their problem. Now team is build around two players. If they they show up - Pens win games, if not, well... you know. Bad defense and not top goalie.
My opinion - trade Malkin. You can't trade Crosby, because he is your francise. So trade Malkin for goalie and defense pieces.

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
Pens system is their problem. Now team is build around two players. If they they show up - Pens win games, if not, well... you know. Bad defense and not top goalie.
My opinion - trade Malkin. You can't trade Crosby, because he is your francise. So trade Malkin for goalie and defense pieces.

Defense pieces? lol

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009

I'd trade Crosby before Malkin... Not for anything Malkin scares the boots out of me on any other team.. Crosby does not seems as threatening.. You can stop Crosby easier then Malkin...

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com

Crosby has trouble being shutdown now with Malkin as his teammate. Can you imagine if Sid centers the only scoring line, what it will be like with the opposition throwing everything at that one line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad