Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens 4 Canucks 3 (SO)

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Fleury does well in shootouts because there's nothing else to distract him. It's just him versus one shooter, so he knows exactly what to focus on. His issues seem to stem, largely, from a lack of focus -- or when things are hectic around him, too many things to focus on.

Nice to see Maatta get his first NHL goal. He looks pretty solid offensively so far. I'd still lean towards him going back to junior, largely to work on increasing his strength for one more year, and to round out his overall game getting 25 minutes a night in all situations rather than 15 minutes a night on a bottom pairing. Just IMO.

And that was just Sid being Sid. 17 points in 8 games. He's on pace for 170 points, guys!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah... why is Jeffrey barred from starting on that line for a game? They try sticking him everywhere else. And it's understood that he's a more offensive-minded player than any of their other depth forwards... so... ?

I mean, it isn't like they have anything to lose. Malkin might as well be skating with a sack of potatoes and Jussi Jokinen's shootout gloves, right now.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Fleury does well in shootouts because there's nothing else to distract him. It's just him versus one shooter, so he knows exactly what to focus on. His issues seem to stem, largely, from a lack of focus -- or when things are hectic around him, too many things to focus on.

Nice to see Maatta get his first NHL goal. He looks pretty solid offensively so far. I'd still lean towards him going back to junior, largely to work on increasing his strength for one more year, and to round out his overall game getting 25 minutes a night in all situations rather than 15 minutes a night on a bottom pairing. Just IMO.

And that was just Sid being Sid. 17 points in 8 games. He's on pace for 170 points, guys!

At the end of the season, stats read like this:

1. Crosby 82GP 60G 110A 170P
2. Stamkos 82GP 57G 45A 102P
3. Malkin 82GP 46G 55A 101P

Crosby has more assists then Stamkos points. :laugh: Then all the hardware goes to Crosby, aswell as a cup and Smythe!

:sarcasm:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why was Chris Conner playing? He's still as weak in puck battles as I remember him from the last time he played for the Pens. His failure to clear the puck -- twice! -- lead directly to the Kassian goal.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Well, you saw that beautiful shorthanded Sedinery.

But they're old at 33 and totes declining. We should trade them for 33 year old Marleau!!!111

So tell us, do you like Kassian? He had a really good game. Torts is actually letting him play.

Obviously it's a good combo, just wish bylsma would take notes :)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Seconded. I don't get the hate and it's not even explained hate. People are just like "Sutter made me want to kill babies" like it's fact that's he is the worst player on the team. Please enlighten me what more you want from the 3rd line center making only 2 million a year?

The penguins don't have the wingers to be a 2-line team to a cup. Sutter is going to have to contribute offensively at some point.

I understand injuries etc. that's fine. At some point he has to be a consistent contributor.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
So do yo guys hate to see when duper/kuni cant really handle the puck? I think thats hurt littlebit first line game. And when those guys pass the puck its like wrister or a fu..... slapshot like.

Dupuis plays hockey like I shoot pool. Ever shot / pass is as hard as ****ing possible.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Keep in mind, every assist Crosby gets are secondary assists.

And on another note, let's all remember why I've been screaming for something other than NORTH/SOUTH wingers for 6 years now.

You see how the twins cycle? I mean, Sedins aren't readily available from whatever laboratory they were created in, but there's something to be said for having players who's first goal isn't to "OMG I NEED TO PASS THE PUCK OFF TO MY BETTER LINEMATE SO I DON'T LOSE IT!!!"

If Sid and Geno aren't always playing at their peak, this team will always be doomed.

We've been discussing this for how long now? :laugh:

And, you know the retort. But, they're fine with their wingers. Just imagine how this team would be if they settled for fine elsewhere and not for Sid and Geno, if for once Ray Shero decided to exploit rather than mitigate the one advantage he's got over every other GM in the league. :help:

EDIT: Imagine what we could've gotten for Morrow and a 1st at last years deadline instead of what we got? :(

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Every time that kid ****s up, he makes up for his mistake moments later.

I still worry about him getting knocked around by bigger more aggressive teams, but he's probably too good for Junior right now.

If you think about it, this game was not unlike his first. In game one, it's NHL action for the first time. A little choppy but he learns and picks it up. In this one, it's his first time facing a team like this. Same thing. Choppy for the first half, but man did he turn it up in the second half of the game. Worrying about the physical challenge is reasonable, but a lot of guys with comparable and much lesser physical development have played at his age. Only way to know is to let him play if you think he'll unquestionably be one of your top six when the playoffs come (IMO, he'll be #4, whether or not his minutes reflect it).

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
MAF lets in a goal that would have previously resulted in a complete meltdown, promising!

Not getting the hate for Niskanen at all. I think he's doing well on both ends of the ice. Not sure what the guy has to do to impress.

Sutter is, however, starting to plateau at a level a little lower than expected.

That's just so . . . HATEFUL.

Look, here's a simple question for everyone. Forget about his name or the circumstances according to which he was acquired. IF Sutter could be moved in a package for a top six winger-- a legit one-- then would anyone fear a significant, mild, or even any dropoff IF the move meant Jokinen as 3C?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
+ to the guys I expect to win us games. That is exactly what we saw tonight. Our best players won us the game.

- Martin and Orpik pairing. Martin isn't what he was last year. Luckily, he isn't what he was the year before that either. And Orpik is just not that good anymore.

+ The other D pairings. Scuds and Niskanen work well together and Bort and Maatta are excellent together as well.

- Niskanen when he isn't with Scuds.

= Dupuis and Kunitz are both improving. They still aren't where I know they can be, but they are playing solid hockey again.

Uh, what are you suggesting? He won't be with Scuds when Letang returns. :sarcasm:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Look, here's a simple question for everyone. Forget about his name or the circumstances according to which he was acquired. IF Sutter could be moved in a package for a top six winger-- a legit one-- then would anyone fear a significant, mild, or even any dropoff IF the move meant Jokinen as 3C?

Kobasew - Malkin - Neal doesn't moisten me

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Maatta will be greatly helped by the hybrid icing, and his frame isn't exactly small. But I can see him getting lit up or just needing a break as the season progresses. And that is why we have Depres and Dumo.

Our young guys all have good size, especially Bort and Depres. That along with that hybrid icing should mean we always have fresh, competent bodies. I'm a fan of giving the younger players a rest every now and again to watch and absorb the game a bit too.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah... why is Jeffrey barred from starting on that line for a game? They try sticking him everywhere else. And it's understood that he's a more offensive-minded player than any of their other depth forwards... so... ?

I mean, it isn't like they have anything to lose. Malkin might as well be skating with a sack of potatoes and Jussi Jokinen's shootout gloves, right now.

Am I supposed to :laugh: at the visual or :cry: because it's not untrue?

Kobasew - Malkin - Neal doesn't moisten me

Now THAT was :laugh: on so many levels.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

I don't think JJ would be effective as a 3c without very strong wingers, like Dupuis for example. I don't like trading Sutter, he's young and cost controlled, and in a low cap year like this, I don't see as you can replace what he brings for that cap hit.

Plus how much value does he have right now?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The penguins don't have the wingers to be a 2-line team to a cup. Sutter is going to have to contribute offensively at some point.

I understand injuries etc. that's fine. At some point he has to be a consistent contributor.

Could they get those wingers via trade if they took, how shall I put it, a somewhat less inclusive (as in less inclusive than little league) approach to who is and who is not expendable?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think JJ would be effective as a 3c without very strong wingers, like Dupuis for example. I don't like trading Sutter, he's young and cost controlled, and in a low cap year like this, I don't see as you can replace what he brings for that cap hit.

Plus how much value does he have right now?

An extra top six winger if it means JJ as 3C or things as they are now? It's a cost/benefit consideration. IMO, JJ versus Sutter won't be the difference in the Pens winning another cup. Sid and Geno with the type of help they deserve or making due with 'good enough' will continue to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad