Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens 4 Canucks 3 (SO)

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Just watched the game, awesome! I was yelling at Crosby to get point in OT, just effin get it! 17 in 8 games? i'll take it considering the rest is 11/10 points. Now there's a big gap between him and the rest of the league.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
MAF lets in a goal that would have previously resulted in a complete meltdown, promising!

Not getting the hate for Niskanen at all. I think he's doing well on both ends of the ice. Not sure what the guy has to do to impress.

Sutter is, however, starting to plateau at a level a little lower than expected.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
An awesome game to watch, pens didn't play great but got the 2 points

Pens need BB back, putting BB on the 2nd line and Kobasew back with Sutter would make the top 3 lines soooooo much better.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just got back from the game.

++ SteelPenguin, for your first GDT, Great job.:yo: Had my sons Dek hockey game at 10:00 and straight to the game from there. Sorry I missed it.

Fleury was still a big plus for me.+
Crosby +
Kunitz +
Maatta +++ I got to see it live...His first.

I didn't like the non call that resulted in the play being extended for the Nucks 3rd goal.

Overall, great atmosphere annd the place was charged up. Also, thanks Stan the usher!

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
first of all: I may have liked Vanc, but that was before they hired this piece of stinking g...... for a coach, I cannot possibly turn other cheek

back to the game:

MAF was OK he had problems with those chest shots, but all in all not too bad.
Our 1st D pairing aka 7 and 44 were pretty bad, Martin is back to his 2011 form, Orpik well I stopped crying about him long time ago
Bort and Maatta were all in all good. We have only 3-4 skilled hockey players on this team and Miaatta is one of them. I thought Bort had a pretty strong game.
Sid is great but Duper doesn't get enough love for what he does for Sid. His speed, tenacity, excellent space coverage allows Sid to get the puck more often that's the key. I hate Kunitz on pp, otherwise, he is who he is...
Gieno is showing signs of life but playing with Jus and Kobe is just not working, they have zero chemistry, they cannot establish any offensive pressure, Geno needs Duper 2.0
I still think our 3rd line is missing, although Sutter had OK game,he is good in covering space in his zone, but thats not what we want to see from 3rd, you want to see glory days of our KSC line pinning down opposition and not letting them breath, these guys are soff...
fourth line coming down to earth to mediocrity we are so used to

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
+ to the guys I expect to win us games. That is exactly what we saw tonight. Our best players won us the game.

- Martin and Orpik pairing. Martin isn't what he was last year. Luckily, he isn't what he was the year before that either. And Orpik is just not that good anymore.

+ The other D pairings. Scuds and Niskanen work well together and Bort and Maatta are excellent together as well.

- Niskanen when he isn't with Scuds.

= Dupuis and Kunitz are both improving. They still aren't where I know they can be, but they are playing solid hockey again.

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I really don't understand this. Sutter's playing well on the PK, finishing hits, and is leading our team in faceoff %, including 58% today.

We're looking really hard, and in the wrong places, for whipping boys this year.

I was on Sutter early but he has been much better the last two games. Won battles regularly today at even strength and on the PK. Top 5 forward for the Pens today, for sure.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
first of all: I may have liked Vanc, but that was before they hired this piece of stinking garbage for a coach, I cannot possibly turn other cheek

back to the game:

MAF was OK he had problems with those chest shots, but all in all not too bad.
Our 1st D pairing aka 7 and 44 were pretty bad, Martin is back to his 2011 form, Orpik well I stopped crying about him long time ago
Bort and Maatta were all in all good. We have only 3-4 skilled hockey players on this team and Miaatta is one of them. I thought Bort had a pretty strong game.
Sid is great but Duper doesn't get enough love for what he does for Sid. His speed, tenacity, excellent space coverage allows Sid to get the puck more often that's the key. I hate Kunitz on pp, otherwise, he is who he is...
Gieno is showing signs of life but playing with Jus and Kobe is just not working, they have zero chemistry, they cannot establish any offensive pressure, Geno needs Duper 2.0
I still think our 3rd line is missing, although Sutter had OK game,he is good in covering space in his zone, but thats not what we want to see from 3rd, you want to see glory days of our KSC line pinning down opposition and not letting them breath, these guys are soff...
fourth line coming down to earth to mediocrity we are so used to

Vigneault is in New York now though. :naughty:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I was on Sutter early but he has been much better the last two games. Won battles regularly today at even strength and on the PK. Top 5 forward for the Pens today, for sure.

Yeah, I think Sutter and Niskanen have been better in these last few of games. I think Orpik is also making Niskanen look better by comparison... Gladams are carrying Sutter. The question is whether or not Sutter can keep this up.

- Kobasew shouldn't be on the second line.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sutter has another gear he can get to, but I think he's fine right now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Fair enough, but I'd rather it be played in the other team's zone if you catch my drift.

I gotcha. This team still has issues, and more pronounced this season, sustaining offensive zone time. Too much offense off the rush. Missing Neal and Bennett is part of the problem.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
On Sutter, keep in mind he is basically centering a 2nd 4th line. Get Kobasew back with him and ideally Dupuis but even if its Bennett, you will see that 3rd line get back to being effective. We are complaining about our bottom 6, but our bottom 6 includes Engo and Connor right now.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Vigneault is in New York now though. :naughty:

Heh, he is referring to this.

We actually talked about this before the game and I for one find him to be a dick, but a very entertaining dick. There are too many boring dicks out there.

You can look forward to some very entertaining press conferences.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, I'm ready to see literally anyone else on the roster in Kobasew's place, at this point. Yes... anyone. At least it would represent a shakeup in that line.

He's a good player and I'm glad to have him. But I'm beginning to resent him a bit and I feel a little guilty about that. Because it isn't at all his fault.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Yeah, I'm ready to see literally anyone else on the roster in Kobasew's place, at this point. Yes... anyone. At least it would represent a shakeup in that line.

He's a good player and I'm glad to have him. But I'm beginning to resent him a bit and I feel a little guilty about that. Because it isn't at all his fault.

coming to a line-up near you!

D_Agostini_Matt_1.jpg

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Agreed. If Geno is going to carry a dead weight around, it might as well be a dead weight that doesn't interfere with the 3rd line. Let Sutter and Kobasew continue playing together.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Heh, he is referring to this.

We actually talked about this before the game and I for one find him to be a dick, but a very entertaining dick. There are too many boring dicks out there.

You can look forward to some very entertaining press conferences.

He's already said that he doesnt give a **** about what CBC thinks so my entertainment quotient has been met this year.

I have a ever-growing list of things not to ask Torts about in press conferences.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
- The number of redirection/tip-in goals the team has given up. This is a clear sign of not playing tough enough around the net.

Valarukar

Jul 20, 2011
Pittsburgh
On Sutter, keep in mind he is basically centering a 2nd 4th line. Get Kobasew back with him and ideally Dupuis but even if its Bennett, you will see that 3rd line get back to being effective. We are complaining about our bottom 6, but our bottom 6 includes Engo and Connor right now.

I think people don't like Sutter because his line has trouble cycling in the offensive zone consistently, but that's just not his strong suit. He has said before he has trouble keeping weight on and that's really the whole problem. He has looked better with board battles though in my opinion, especially when he is given wingers whose strength is cycling.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Just watched the game, awesome! I was yelling at Crosby to get point in OT, just effin get it! 17 in 8 games? i'll take it considering the rest is 11/10 points. Now there's a big gap between him and the rest of the league.

I had previously made the prediction on these boards that Crosby would win the scoring title by 25. At the rate he's going, he could have 25 on the rest of the league by the Olympic break!

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Yeah, I think Sutter and Niskanen have been better in these last few of games. I think Orpik is also making Niskanen look better by comparison... Gladams are carrying Sutter. The question is whether or not Sutter can keep this up.

- Kobasew shouldn't be on the second line.

Agreed, but I'm not sure there's another option available.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
+ Fleury's body language after letting in that first weird goal. In the past he looked defeated/dejected after letting ones like that through. His reaction was also better than the other goalies this season with the weird goals (Quick slumping into the net, Luongo lying on the ice, Bernier hand in the air, Mason etc).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad