Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens 4 Canucks 3 (SO)

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
That's just so . . . HATEFUL.

Look, here's a simple question for everyone. Forget about his name or the circumstances according to which he was acquired. IF Sutter could be moved in a package for a top six winger-- a legit one-- then would anyone fear a significant, mild, or even any dropoff IF the move meant Jokinen as 3C?

:laugh: But, he's a bash nephew!

Nightwing

Nov 23, 2010
Ottawa
Didn't like the lines, especially Malkin's...He seemed pretty out of place with some of the players he was out with. Also, Can not wait till BB or JJ returns. Chuck is not fitting in with Malkin at all. Sure he's got hustle, but theres noting after that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Didn't like the lines, especially Malkin's...He seemed pretty out of place with some of the players he was out with. Also, Can not wait till BB or JJ returns. Chuck is not fitting in with Malkin at all. Sure he's got hustle, but theres noting after that.

Malkin's linemates for 1 game at least since 2007-2008 (Malone-Sykora), and I'm pretty sure Dustin Jeffrey and Tanner Glass belong on this list:

Ruslan Fedotenko
Maxime Talbot
Tyler Kennedy
Chris Kunitz
Miroslav Satan
Jordan Staal
Pascal Dupuis
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Matt Cooke
Mike Comrie
Eric Tangradi
James Neal
Steve Sullivan
Beau Bennett
Zach Boychuk
Brenden Morrow
Jarome Iginla
Jussi Jokinen
Chuck Kobasew

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin's linemates for 1 game at least since 2007-2008 (Malone-Sykora), and I'm pretty sure Dustin Jeffrey and Tanner Glass belong on this list:

Ruslan Fedotenko
Maxime Talbot
Tyler Kennedy
Chris Kunitz
Miroslav Satan
Jordan Staal
Pascal Dupuis
Alexei Ponikarovsky
Matt Cooke
Mike Comrie
Eric Tangradi
James Neal
Steve Sullivan
Beau Bennett
Zach Boychuk
Brenden Morrow
Jarome Iginla
Jussi Jokinen
Chuck Kobasew

Impressive!

It's worth ticking back to 2006-07 just so we can get Michel Ouellet on there.

His current team:

thetford_mines_isothermic_2007-08.gif

Nightwing

Nov 23, 2010
Ottawa
Pretty sure Letestu also played with Malkin at one point. And yes I meant Neal, Don't know how I confused them up :laugh:

Last edited:

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Hey guys,

Good game. I felt that my team played well enough to deserve 2 points..but thems the breaks.

Sid and malkin are always fun to watch. I like Suter too... i wonder if he'll ever develop into a 2C...
Canucks could sure use player like him right now.

Hopefully we'lll meet again in the playoffs :naughty:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Certainly wasn't our best game but we were missing quite a few good players from our lineup and playing a strong Vancouver team.

+ The team being so great at shootouts.

+ Maatta getting his fist NHL goal in a huge spot to tie the game.

- Bad Fleury reared his ugly head again on that first goal from center ice. I thought he made up for it the rest of the way though and he's almost always money in the shootout too.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I was thinking that tonight watching him play.

He's not slow enough to fit in though.

Or old enough.

Give Raymond another 10 years in this league and a few more knee injuries to hamper his skating speed and he'll fit right in with the Gladams of the world.

KHstrike

Apr 23, 2012
I'll agree that so far there are no players on this team that deserve the hate they are receiving. That's not saying they've all been perfect though.

If there is a minus I could give it would be to team defensive chemistry. They are putting more effort into defensive coverage obviously, but it's not quite there yet. Having different lines go out there every shift doesn't help.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
Am I the only one who thought that goal on Fleury was more horrible luck than poor goaltending? I don't know how much goal the rest of you have played, but that's a pretty fortuitous spin and bounce off a puck like that. Fleury has let in far worse and far more awful goals than that. That's mostly pretty crappy luck.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Am I the only one who thought that goal on Fleury was more horrible luck than poor goaltending? I don't know how much goal the rest of you have played, but that's a pretty fortuitous spin and bounce off a puck like that. Fleury has let in far worse and far more awful goals than that. That's mostly pretty crappy luck.

It is more the horrible history with Fleury and letting in bad ones that give flashbacks when we see that.

As for the game itself, I can freely say that the Pens were outplayed in this one and likely deserved the loss. The Canucks wanted it more and played harder for most of the game. We were very lucky to come out with the win, the Canucks were overall the better team today.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
A few late and fragmented observations after a very entertaining game in which we were SOUNDLY outplayed in all senses but the most important one (score sheet).... except for the always dangerous rushing capabilities of the Crosby line.

Brooks Orpik justifiably gets flack for his terrible passing and rather inadequate D, but in this one Martin was definitely worse in his own zone. This game was up there with his worst stuff from 11-12, and that pairing was just terrible yesterday. It was ridiculous how owned they got in our end.

I simply do not understand why Sutter is getting the criticism he is. While saddled with 4th liners and AHL quality linemates, he is helping prevent that we are scored on, has increased his physicality loads, is by far our best penalty killer and does very well on face offs so far. All while being positionally very solid. He turned up on the score sheet in the first couple of games when he was with guys like Jeffrey, Kobasew and Bennett. He is not going to be a major offensive dynamo, but lets not measure him on his production when he is out there with Glass/Adams/Conner etc.

As if it wasn't clear enough that Malkin's tendencies/needs are ignored Bylsma goes with Sid/Kunitz and Geno/Dupuis in the OT. Sid works with both, Malkin and Kunitz have proven sensational. Malkin and Dupuis... not.
It's not that decision. It was worse with Bourque, keeping Dupuis on his line way too long, and now to automatically put Kobasew there instead of someone with a game that MIGHT mesh. It is more the fact that every time there is a chance to make a common sense decision to improve Malkin's chances of success, Bylsma doesn't... or picks one of the least well suited. It never fails.

Finally, box score watching.... it is insane how the West is creaming the East so far.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Sharks are ridiculous this year. 7-0-1, 39 goals for, 15 against, +23 goal differential. How anyone even got them to OT is beyond my comprehension.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
The Sharks are ridiculous this year. 7-0-1, 39 goals for, 15 against, +23 goal differential. How anyone even got them to OT is beyond my comprehension.

You can't win 'em all... But yeah, the few games I've seen they've been scary good. I mean, they already beat this 'Nucks team that gave our team fits twice already, and it wasn't even as close as the scores indicated. But the Sharks are like MAF at this point, they have very little to prove in the regular season but carry a half-ton gorilla in their backs in the playoffs...

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND

They were off to the same start last year then just fell off barely making the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad