Post-Game Talk: Plus/Minus: Pens 4 Canucks 3 (SO)

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Could they get those wingers via trade if they took, how shall I put it, a somewhat less inclusive (as in less inclusive than little league) approach to who is and who is not expendable?

I have no clue. For example: if we believe that Sutter gets you Kulemin (because I know you love Kulemin) that's not on the table this year, since the leafs got Bolland.

On top of that, I don't know what kind of value he has. I said last year, I would have moved Sutter and traded for Bolland. Better, more-balanced team.

Edit: I'd definitely be looking into what Despres could get me. He's not going to get enough time in the NHL this year to help. Rather get something the team will use. Maybe Sutter and Despres can reshape the team up front. It's about creating depth.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Kunitz (221) passed up Aleksey Morozov (219) for 35th place on the franchise's all-time scoring list.

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/sport...ty-netters/39481-canucks-at-penguins-10-19-13

I can't believe it took him that long. I remember besides some average seasons Morozov always struggled to consistently put up points.

As for Sutter when we first got him I told people that they need to temper their expectations about his offensive ability. He has some skills but he's never going to that 40 point player he had his rookie year. 30 points with stellar defensive play is what he is.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have no clue. For example: if we believe that Sutter gets you Kulemin (because I know you love Kulemin) that's not on the table this year, since the leafs got Bolland.

On top of that, I don't know what kind of value he has. I said last year, I would have moved Sutter and traded for Bolland. Better, more-balanced team.

Edit: I'd definitely be looking into what Despres could get me. He's not going to get enough time in the NHL this year to help. Rather get something the team will use. Maybe Sutter and Despres can reshape the team up front. It's about creating depth.

short of moving Nisky and Orpik, I think moving Despres for a young impact winger might be the way to go. I really want Maatta to stay. Though I also really want Despres to stay.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I can't believe it took him that long. I remember besides some average seasons Morozov always struggled to consistently put up points.

As for Sutter when we first got him I told people that they need to temper their expectations about his offensive ability. He has some skills but he's never going to that 40 point player he had his rookie year. 30 points with stellar defensive play is what he is.

What I'm underwhelmed in his his lack of puck possession in the O zone. He is good defensively, but he better be considering how much of the game he plays in our end. Though I do think that would improve a lot with better wings. But I think back to the old Connor - Letestu - TK buzz line and they never scored, but they could cycle all shift long a few times a game.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I'd be looking into what Sutter, Orpik, and Nisky get me.

What Sutter and Orpik get me, combined with Sid and Bennett, would be quite the welcome change come a tough playoff series.

KMN works fine as a true second line.

And, JJ with Dupuis and what Nisky gets me I think would work fine.

As for Scuds-Letang, Despres-Martin, Maatta-Borts, well, heaven forbid this team's question marks be about youth on defense instead of what's on Sid's and Geno's wings for once.

short of moving Nisky and Orpik, I think moving Despres for a young impact winger is the way to go.

In the real world, the one where Orpik doesn't get moved, I'm o'k moving Nisky and Despres and Sutter and reshaping the top nine in a manner that is more appropriately to Sid's and Geno's combined benefit.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
short of moving Nisky and Orpik, I think moving Despres for a young impact winger is the way to go.

Yep. I would imagine Niskanen has less value than Despres. I'd be fine if Despres was getting consistent 3rd-pairing minutes, but it's not going to happen again this year. You can't allow his value to diminish to Joe Morrow levels. Get something while you can.

(This sounds more dramatic and gloomy than necessary but I do think they're in danger of totally ruining an asset)

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yep. I would imagine Niskanen has less value than Despres. I'd be fine if Despres was getting consistent 3rd-pairing minutes, but it's not going to happen again this year. You can't allow his value to diminish to Joe Morrow levels. Get something while you can.

(This sounds more dramatic and gloomy than necessary but I do think they're in danger of totally ruining an asset)

What a stunning departure that would be for this organization.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
I don't understand why Brooks is getting -'s for today's game. He was fine. Martin on the other hand was brutal, and yet he gets a free pass. The amount of hate Orpik gets is a little absurd in my opinion, but I guess he's the new whipping boy so I should just get used to it.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
If we wanted to upgrade our top 6 and get rid of Orpik, we should be calling Calgary about Glencross. Rumor is they want a vet Dman to play with Giordano (per some Philly beat writer, for what that's worth). Does make sense though. He's a good net front and only making like 2.25 signed through 2015. I am sure we can give Calgary a package they'd want. We'd have to throw in futures, but I wouldn't think it would take Depres or Sutter.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Not related to the game, so not a plus nor a minus, but man is the Pens' division horrible. 5 of the 8 teams are well below .500, and 2 out of the 3 teams above .500 are only 1 game over.

To put it into context, the Pens have more regulation wins so far this season than teams 4 through 8 have total. The Pens have won 6 games in regulation, while the Rangers, Caps, Devils, Flyers, and Blue Jackets have combined for a whopping 5 regulation wins so far.

What the heck happened to the Beasts from the East?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I really don't understand this. Sutter's playing well on the PK, finishing hits, and is leading our team in faceoff %, including 58% today.

We're looking really hard, and in the wrong places, for whipping boys this year.
I thought he had a good game and I was a little confused seeing the minuses.

The one PK in particular he was in beast mode. If he could kick into that gear more consistently I think the complaints would dry up. I also thought he was more physical lately when he was on the ice with tougher players, so maybe there is a little bit of a confidence issue regarding his strength/toughness.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
This was a really fun game even when the Pens were getting drastically outshot early on. Fleury seems different this season - like he has his head screwed on a little tighter. That weird fluke goal early on didn't seem to bother him at all, which is a huge improvement over previous years where a goal like that would send him scrambling around the crease like a chicken with his head cut off until he was pulled. He's looked very sturdy, positionally, and is making all the saves he's SUPPOSED TO in addition to the occasional acrobatic stop.

I think that's been his biggest weakness - he's an extremely flexible, quick and athletic goalie, so he's always been able to make spectacular stops on tough shots, but he falters on very run-of-the-mill shots, especially high glove side. This year has been different so far, and I hope he can carry those adjustments into the playoffs. MAF performing at the caliber he's capable of is a huge boost for the team...imagine Vokoun actually being justifiably used as a backup instead of being forced to carry the load by himself. That sounds like an intimidating prospect for other teams compared to last season.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Not related to the game, so not a plus nor a minus, but man is the Pens' division horrible. 5 of the 8 teams are well below .500, and 2 out of the 3 teams above .500 are only 1 game over.

To put it into context, the Pens have more regulation wins so far this season than teams 4 through 8 have total. The Pens have won 6 games in regulation, while the Rangers, Caps, Devils, Flyers, and Blue Jackets have combined for a whopping 5 regulation wins so far.

You know, if I can piggyback off of this...

The metro division is SO bad, the pens should use this year to push the envelope, take risks, aggressively make moves. They shouldn't miss the playoffs - it would take 2010-level of injuries - and the goal should be to win the Super Bowl. Make moves earlier and let the team gel.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

It's only 8 games in the season. NJ got a bunch of overpaid bums and lost Kovalchuk, NYR lost offense from injuries, but did not have a lot to begin with and getting used to AV's system and Lundqvist always has a slow start in October, he seems to have been getting better lately though. Flyers need D and to start scoring and a new coach but they are getting better game by game. They got a rock solid goaltender keeping them in games with Mason who's been nothing but a rock for them since they traded for him which ****in sucks!

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

Coaching changes that will take time to have effect and also the teams not being as good as previously thought. Aside from Boston, Detroit and Pittsburgh no-one really stands out.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

My dream trade who could very well be doable is Despres for brett connoly. His situation is identical to despres. He should be geting minutes on the big club. Just too many before him on the depht chart.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Some of them will probably bounce back, maybe.

Rangers will probably be good enough to be playoff contenders in the end. New coach and some injuries.
Caps, it was inevitable. They're not built well, their coach isn't great and Ovechkin isn't what he used to be. They might make a playoff run later but they're still fundamentally flawed. Idiot of a GM.
Devils, they're just bad. Kovalchuk happened at a bad time. Are they still incredibly slow?
Flyers, Holmgren.
Blue Jackets, IDK.
Carolina is Carolina.
The Islanders are about where I expected them to be.

The Pens are making the others look a bit worse off than they really are. We could have a 5-3 (TBL and Van losses) record then it's not quite as far, and Crosby has been dragging this team along at times. He's been credited with being involved in 17/30 goals if you don't count the shootout, and there were a few that he generated but didn't get an A for. The other teams don't have Crosby doing that.

It's also early still.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I noticed that Engelland only had around 4:30 in TOI. Did Bylsma bench him after his pointless fight?

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

The metro division is SO bad, the pens should use this year to push the envelope, take risks, aggressively make moves. They shouldn't miss the playoffs - it would take 2010-level of injuries - and the goal should be to win the Super Bowl. Make moves earlier and let the team gel.

Have to agree with you, especially the bolded. No more aging vets at the deadline, either.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Seconded. I don't get the hate and it's not even explained hate. People are just like "Sutter made me want to kill babies" like it's fact that's he is the worst player on the team. Please enlighten me what more you want from the 3rd line center making only 2 million a year?
All that I can ask for from any player is enthusiasm. Sutter is like a vacuum that simply sucks any life out of the game once he hits the ice.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I thought he had a good game and I was a little confused seeing the minuses.

The one PK in particular he was in beast mode. If he could kick into that gear more consistently I think the complaints would dry up. I also thought he was more physical lately when he was on the ice with tougher players, so maybe there is a little bit of a confidence issue regarding his strength/toughness.

Well, sure, in THAT case . . . :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Actually, hasn't this been the goal the last few years, winning (super bowl) stanley cups in February?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad