Please Kyle, just a few tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
Yes, let's change the approach that has the leafs second in the league so we can bring back old favorites like Polak and Martin, who worked so well here
I don’t think any true Leaf fan can be nothing but passionate about the talented team we have waited so long to enjoy. However we have seen teams like the big bad bruins crush us when it counts. We fear that a team that does nothing when a Johnsson or a Dermott or a Lindholm is assaulted with no payback, we fear that our team is fair game for the physicality of the playoffs. We fear that a Watson or Reeves or such will take a punishing run at Anderson and take him out, because theirs no consequence (what was the name of that Pittsburgh goon who did exactly that a couple of years ago when it was season end and we had to win or tie our last game to make the playoffs? Shapiro or something, we just signed him in the minors).
We fear that our talented core of early 20’s “boys” will play timid and we will still not even have one successful series outcome.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
2nd in goals/game
6th in goals against/game
4th in league standings
2nd in goal differential
Nylander missed 2/3s of the season, Matthews missed 1/3.

Leafs fans and media..... waaaaaaaa, this team sux!

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
You definently bring up good points. But it's all about what the market determines. We won't overpay for a Simmonds just because we need one. Grow internally or wait for the right trade or signing.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
I think Matthews may learn that being a little nastier and dirtier may go a ways towards giving himself some extra room out there. Some of the nastier guys in the game carve out that extra space by being difficult to play against.
I totally agree. Could you imagine with his skill and size if he developed a "Ryan Getzlaf" type mean streak...

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Trade for a LW

and a 2nd pairing RHD, that's all they need IMO

Say they got Jensen and Johansson.

That pushes lindholm/gauthier out and hainsey to the 3rd pair and oz to the press box.

Not sexy but it works.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs are built for the regular season but not the playoffs.

I think tweaks will be coming at the TD to add depth on D, some size and some grit.

Small, soft and fast is fine for regular season points.

As I posted the other day Chris Kreider + Brady Skjei for Nylander and Zaitsev type trade would address some Leafs weaknesses of a power forward and a top 4 young Dman.

Last edited:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
My playoff wishlist...

Wayne Simmonds for prospects / picks...

Alex Edler, with one of Gardiner or Zaitsev going the other way packaged with picks...

These lines, stabilized for a playoff push...

Hyman / Tavares / Marner
Kapanen / Matthews/ Nylander
Johnsson / Kadri / Simmonds
Moore / Marleau/ Brown
Gauthier

Reilly / Edler
Gardiner / Hainsey
Dermott / Oz

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Our biggest hole is defencemen 2 and 3 for sure.

Jake Gardiner doesn't seem smart enough to make good plays when it matters.
Before that horrible game, Jake was one of the very best playoff performers on the team night in and night out, seamlessly exiting the zone over and over, for what....the last three playoffs?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

It's obvious Cassidy has no idea the leafs are soft, and arent built for playoff hockey.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Hyman / Tavares / Marner
Kapanen / Matthews / Nylander
Johnsson / Kadri / Simmonds
Moore / Marleau / Brown

Reilly / Edler
Gardiner / Hainsey
Dermott / Oz

Anderson
Hutchinson / Sparks

* Edler's expiring contract acquired in a deal that sends Zaitsev the other way, with another piece included... The idea to let Gardiner and Hainsey walk in the off season, dump Zaitsev's 4.5 million, re-sign Edler around what he's making now on a short term deal.

* Simmond's expiring contract acquired for picks / prospects, with the idea of him adding a physical scoring presence on a"playoff line" along with Kadri and a skilled energy guy in Johnsson.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I think i would cost a lot more that that. Doubt VAN is interested in Zaitsev either.

Maybe I've undervalued the cost of acquiring Edler and Simmonds, but I was expecting to have to add pieces like Gauthier, Lindholm, Moore (although I'd prefer to keep him), Bracco, Engvall, possibly Grundstrom or Sandin, and Toronto's 1st and 2nd round picks in order to get the deals done. I didn't expect teams to give their guys away.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I think the Leafs highly regard Zaitsev more than people on these boards... they won't give him away for nothing.

ElbowLander

Jan 12, 2018
I think the Leafs highly regard Zaitsev more than people on these boards... they won't give him away for nothing.
Unfortunately yes they do. They are also now looking for ANOTHER dman in Russia. Was Zaitsev a success? was OZ. I really doubt this management team being able to identify anything more than plugs on the backend.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Edler would be nice.

simmonds unnecessary.

Is he though? When Toronto goes into the playoffs softer than babyshit... At least in Simmonds you get someone who can win playoff battles, set a physical tone, add another veteran leader to the locker room and still is an quality scoring option as a 3rd line winger... The kind of guy you can pair with Kadri and send after Marchand and Pasternak in a 7 game series to irritate the hell out of them and take their legs away through physicality and hard work. Simmonds draws Marchand into penalties and even if they both sit, Boston is down one of their best players, meanwhile, Toronto rolls the Tavares and Matthews lines (intact) with Marchand in the box.

Toronto doesn't need to add grit in the form of someone with stone hands and shit for brains.... And they certainly don't need another 5'10-5'11, 185lb, soft winger. As is they don't get half the penalties calls they should while their skilled guys gets mugged. Anyone who thinks that's going to get any better in the playoffs, IMO, is crazy.

Reactions: Cobra777

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

You think Alex Edler coming back the other way is nothing? He'd be the best 2-way D-man on Toronto's roster and the only guy that doesn't get absolutely bullied behind his own net by anyone with a pulse.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I feel like the people that still want Simmonds are people that haven't watched him in a few years

I've watched him play plenty. I don't want him to play with Matthew's or Tavares, I want him as a 3rd line, 25 goal scoring winger who still does the things necessary to compete with the teams that will inevitably bully Toronto in the playoffs.

I'm not expecting to get Wayne Simmonds circa 2015. I want him as a bottom 6 guy, on an expiring deal, who wants to bring scoring, leadership and physicality to a team competing for a Cup.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The Leafs lost last year since Matthews wasnt good, Andersen didnt show up, and Kadri was suspended for 3 games.

Bergeron Pasta and BM were just better. Matthew and Nylander couldn't do anything or find another gear. The only reason it went 7 was because Pleks rattled Bergeron and had him visibly frustrated on many occasions. Sometimes that's why you need a Nemesis on your team. Kadri kinda plays that role and then goes nuclear and its over. This year he is on his honeymoon still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad