Please Kyle, just a few tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Good points but I agree with Bobby Mac. Heard him on 1050 tonight say;

Leafs probably want a guy with term
A player that doesn't create a new hole (due to trade package)

Basically said RHD and or a bigger winger. For me both need to have speed as the game is fast plus we are built for it.

Of bigger note..while we have a window this yr I feel like our window further opens up the next 2 to 5yrs. We have time. Also we have s ridiculous number of RFAs to sign or let go.

You can be sure one of Johnsson or Kapenen is gone and itll be for that RHD. Hainsey I think is done after this yr, ditto for Goat and possibly Lindholm as we have several guys I think that can graduate from Marlies. Bracco, Marchment on forward and Sandin on D ( I think Timmy gets traded in part of package for RHD)

Anyway long story short here..OP isn't wrong, but patience. We don't need an Orr or McClaren. We need a guy who will make the opponents pay from time to time. I don't want a dirty player like Gudas for eg

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Leafs need a lot more toughness on the roster, but 2 guys on the 4th line who are bruisers only scratches the surface. What you really need are the individual players who are already here to play heavier and nastier. I feel like Hyman has transitioned from a scrappier, energy puck retrieval guy to someone who has more of an edge, nastiness, heaviness over the past few years.

Imagine if Matthews played with more of a bite to his game. You don't think a 6'3" 220 pound center with pointy elbows, careless stick work and a propensity for dropping his shoulder, sticking out the hip and driving into traffic wouldn't be a massive upgrade?

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I can't see a 30 something new GM firing arguably the top coach in hockey, and then hire who,... Keefe? Shanny would be a laughing stock of pro hockey.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
The Leafs need a lot more toughness on the roster, but 2 guys on the 4th line who are bruisers only scratches the surface. What you really need are the individual players who are already here to play heavier and nastier. I feel like Hyman has transitioned from a scrappier, energy puck retrieval guy to someone who has more of an edge, nastiness, heaviness over the past few years.

Imagine if Matthews played with more of a bite to his game. You don't think a 6'3" 220 pound center with pointy elbows, careless stick work and a propensity for dropping his shoulder, sticking out the hip and driving into traffic wouldn't be a massive upgrade?
Yep I agree, we need our players to play a heavier game. Stop being afraid to get hit and to finish a check every once in a while instead of these love bumps. Side note: I get the game is changing to speed but damn I miss the hits.

Edit: Im ok with Matthews taking care of himself though.....

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
good luck trying to get them to use common sense lol

• hfboard guy ~ Hyman shouldn't be in the top 6
  • Me~ why is that?
  • hfboard guy ~ just because
  • Me~ good answer
  • hfboard guy ~ youre just a Babcock fanboy
  • Me ~ right :thumbu:

I know everyone is dying to ask... Do you have a special sock puppet representing HFBoards guy?

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018

Basically said RHD and or a bigger winger. For me both need to have speed as the game is fast plus we are built for it.

Of bigger note..while we have a window this yr I feel like our window further opens up the next 2 to 5yrs. We have time. Also we have s ridiculous number of RFAs to sign or let go.

You can be sure one of Johnsson or Kapenen is gone and itll be for that RHD. Hainsey I think is done after this yr, ditto for Goat and possibly Lindholm as we have several guys I think that can graduate from Marlies. Bracco, Marchment on forward and Sandin on D ( I think Timmy gets traded in part of package for RHD)

Anyway long story short here..OP isn't wrong, but patience. We don't need an Orr or McClaren. We need a guy who will make the opponents pay from time to time. I don't want a dirty player like Gudas for eg

Gotta resign Rielly in 3 or 4 years which will be nearly double his current contract after the kind of season he's having.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
We're a playoff team without question, the question is are we built to win multiple rounds and I think the answer to that question is no at this moment, that said I'm not saying this team isn't capable of winning multiple rounds because they are.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yep I agree, we need our players to play a heavier game. Stop being afraid to get hit and to finish a check every once in a while instead of these love bumps. Side note: I get the game is changing to speed but damn I miss the hits.

Edit: Im ok with Matthews taking care of himself though.....

I think Matthews may learn that being a little nastier and dirtier may go a ways towards giving himself some extra room out there. Some of the nastier guys in the game carve out that extra space by being difficult to play against.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

If it means scrapping so much of our depth like Gardiner, Johnsson, Kapanen, Hainsey, Lindholm, Gauthier, perhaps we are better off making sure a couple of the bigger salaries are gone so the structure of the team doesn't get eroded like a game of Jenga.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I think the sports science guys have calculated to the 2nd decimal place just how much effort it takes to beat the NHL bottom feeders and the players have been ordered not to give one ounce of effort more than necessary.

Around game 72 things will start to ramp up and you might even see something crazy like a forward playing 20 minutes ... or *gasp* a Matthews or Tavares take the odd extra shift in the third down a goal.

Unfortunately Marner will need to be shut down entirely around the same time to keep his contract demands under control reserve all necessary strength for the playoffs.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I can't see a 30 something new GM firing arguably the top coach in hockey, and then hire who,... Keefe? Shanny would be a laughing stock of pro hockey.

It would have nothing to do with age. It doesn't matter if you're a 25 year old GM or a 50 year old. The only thing that matters is IF and WHAT the logical reasoning behind the firing is. In this case, there is no reason for Babcock to be fired so Dubas wouldn't.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I don't think toughness is the biggest need. Leafs need some RD that can move the puck out of the zone under pressure. Pretty much the only main issue with the team, maybe someone with a good slapshot/one timer on the PP.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I’ve been relaxing for fifty years, lol!
Now I’m passionate because the raw material is there, with a few adjustments imo

Under Burke/Nonis, the raw material didn't get there, because they preached truculence, toughness, size. Drafted Gauthier, Biggs, etc... in the first round and brought in players that can't skate like Clarkson (he was signed to "fix" our playoff loss, which sounds a lot like recommendations from some here today...), Phaneuf, Joe Colborne. Had to trade picks at a premium to get their skill such as Kessel. Just think about that for a minute.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Get top tier RHD, take away Babcocks toys (Hainsey/Brown), problems solved.

Boston and Tampa are two of the smallest teams in the league, we don't need tough guys, beat them with skill.

Boston beats us because they know our breakout runs through the left side (Gardiner, Rielly, Dermott) so they play up on those guys to cut it off and then once they have the puck, exploit our weak right side and gap created by the RWs going for the stretch pass.

A couple RHD in the top 4 that could move the puck takes away any of that advantage for the Bruins.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
The Leafs are in a good position and are still banking points for the stretch run before the playoffs. They're doing it without their main goalie, or even their 'backup,' and certain players are in slumps. It's not time to panic, even if our minds always go there because we want to win so badly.

It's too early to risk tiring players out by going to just three lines most of the time, especially when the team is winning a lot more games than it's losing, generally speaking.

I do agree that tweaks are needed. The fourth line has not impressed me much. Lindholm worries me going into the playoffs, Gauthier isn't reliable enough but has had a decent year in limited play, and we need someone who can stick up for the young guys when needed. Those guys are hard to find, though. We also don't want to go back to the truculence era.

Same with defense. Improvements are needed. It's not as easy as going out and picking someone off of a tree though. Hopefully it will happen before the postseason starts, but it may not.
I think the 4th line has been pretty respectable this year. And I think the Goat has been pretty solid, Be nice if he had a nasty streak in him.

Reactions: Cobra777

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004

Exactly, Matthews might as well be wearing the red practice jersey. Love to see him playing with JT"s intensity.

Reactions: Cobra777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad