Please Kyle, just a few tweaks

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by stuart5035, Jan 11, 2019.

1. jrgtml67

jrgtml67 Registered User

Good points but I agree with Bobby Mac. Heard him on 1050 tonight say;

Leafs probably want a guy with term
    A player that doesn't create a new hole (due to trade package)

Basically said RHD and or a bigger winger. For me both need to have speed as the game is fast plus we are built for it.

Of bigger note..while we have a window this yr I feel like our window further opens up the next 2 to 5yrs. We have time. Also we have s ridiculous number of RFAs to sign or let go.

You can be sure one of Johnsson or Kapenen is gone and itll be for that RHD. Hainsey I think is done after this yr, ditto for Goat and possibly Lindholm as we have several guys I think that can graduate from Marlies. Bracco, Marchment on forward and Sandin on D ( I think Timmy gets traded in part of package for RHD)

Anyway long story short here..OP isn't wrong, but patience. We don't need an Orr or McClaren. We need a guy who will make the opponents pay from time to time. I don't want a dirty player like Gudas for eg

2. Stephen

Stephen Registered User

Home Page:
    The Leafs need a lot more toughness on the roster, but 2 guys on the 4th line who are bruisers only scratches the surface. What you really need are the individual players who are already here to play heavier and nastier. I feel like Hyman has transitioned from a scrappier, energy puck retrieval guy to someone who has more of an edge, nastiness, heaviness over the past few years.

Imagine if Matthews played with more of a bite to his game. You don't think a 6'3" 220 pound center with pointy elbows, careless stick work and a propensity for dropping his shoulder, sticking out the hip and driving into traffic wouldn't be a massive upgrade?

TML Dynasty likes this.
  3. LeafChief

LeafChief Registered User

"I don't believe this is a playoff team."

@stuart5035 - are you giving odds on this? I'd like to take some money from you.

4. Pookie

Pookie It was a pleasure doing business with you

Yep

5. The CyNick

The CyNick Follow @ TheCyNick

Our young GM doesn't have that authority

6. The Spring Samauri

The Spring Samauri Registered User

No worries. I got him covered. Im having enough drinks for all leafs fans tonight.

On a side note if anyone has a B- blood type and an extra liver lobe available in say ten years, that would be just great.

Eric bungay, TML Dynasty and kb like this.
  7. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

I can't see a 30 something new GM firing arguably the top coach in hockey, and then hire who,... Keefe? Shanny would be a laughing stock of pro hockey.

8. TML Dynasty

TML Dynasty Registered User

Yep I agree, we need our players to play a heavier game. Stop being afraid to get hit and to finish a check every once in a while instead of these love bumps. Side note: I get the game is changing to speed but damn I miss the hits.

Edit: Im ok with Matthews taking care of himself though.....

Carltons Cup and Eric bungay like this.
  9. thewave

thewave Captain of the Brown sucks hate club.

I know everyone is dying to ask... Do you have a special sock puppet representing HFBoards guy?

10. Maple Leafs

Maple Leafs Toronto

you mad because that was our actual back and forth? lol

11. ZippityDooDa

ZippityDooDa Registered User

Gotta resign Rielly in 3 or 4 years which will be nearly double his current contract after the kind of season he's having.

12. XeroKaos

XeroKaos Registered User

We're a playoff team without question, the question is are we built to win multiple rounds and I think the answer to that question is no at this moment, that said I'm not saying this team isn't capable of winning multiple rounds because they are.

13. hfman

hfman Registered User

if they don't toughen up the roster before the playoffs, the leafs will again be eliminated early, that much is for sure

Cobra777 and shortfuze like this.
  14. Stephen

Stephen Registered User

Home Page:
    I think Matthews may learn that being a little nastier and dirtier may go a ways towards giving himself some extra room out there. Some of the nastier guys in the game carve out that extra space by being difficult to play against.

Cobra777 and TML Dynasty like this.
  15. Stephen

Stephen Registered User

Home Page:
    If it means scrapping so much of our depth like Gardiner, Johnsson, Kapanen, Hainsey, Lindholm, Gauthier, perhaps we are better off making sure a couple of the bigger salaries are gone so the structure of the team doesn't get eroded like a game of Jenga.

16. Marshy

Marshy Behind Enemy Lines

IT
    I think the sports science guys have calculated to the 2nd decimal place just how much effort it takes to beat the NHL bottom feeders and the players have been ordered not to give one ounce of effort more than necessary.

Around game 72 things will start to ramp up and you might even see something crazy like a forward playing 20 minutes ... or *gasp* a Matthews or Tavares take the odd extra shift in the third down a goal.

Unfortunately Marner will need to be shut down entirely around the same time to keep his contract demands under control reserve all necessary strength for the playoffs.

TML Dynasty likes this.
  17. Prominence

Prominence Registered User

Student
    Why does the 4th line get so much hate? They seem to get around 10 minutes of playing time and when they do, they do a good job of pressuring the opposing team. Also, the effort level is there.

It’s one of the best 4th lines we’ve had for a long time.

18. LeafingTheWay

LeafingTheWay Registered User

It would have nothing to do with age. It doesn't matter if you're a 25 year old GM or a 50 year old. The only thing that matters is IF and WHAT the logical reasoning behind the firing is. In this case, there is no reason for Babcock to be fired so Dubas wouldn't.

19. Finnish your Czech

Finnish your Czech João Tavares

Sometimes
    I don't think toughness is the biggest need. Leafs need some RD that can move the puck out of the zone under pressure. Pretty much the only main issue with the team, maybe someone with a good slapshot/one timer on the PP.

20. mavis

mavis Registered User

Under Burke/Nonis, the raw material didn't get there, because they preached truculence, toughness, size. Drafted Gauthier, Biggs, etc... in the first round and brought in players that can't skate like Clarkson (he was signed to "fix" our playoff loss, which sounds a lot like recommendations from some here today...), Phaneuf, Joe Colborne. Had to trade picks at a premium to get their skill such as Kessel. Just think about that for a minute.

21. LeafsOHLRangers98

LeafsOHLRangers98 Registered User

Get top tier RHD, take away Babcocks toys (Hainsey/Brown), problems solved.

Boston and Tampa are two of the smallest teams in the league, we don't need tough guys, beat them with skill.

Boston beats us because they know our breakout runs through the left side (Gardiner, Rielly, Dermott) so they play up on those guys to cut it off and then once they have the puck, exploit our weak right side and gap created by the RWs going for the stretch pass.

A couple RHD in the top 4 that could move the puck takes away any of that advantage for the Bruins.

22. sittler rules!!!

sittler rules!!! Registered User

I think the 4th line has been pretty respectable this year. And I think the Goat has been pretty solid, Be nice if he had a nasty streak in him.

Cobra777 likes this.
  23. sittler rules!!!

And covering for Gardiner all the time.

24. sittler rules!!!

Exactly, Matthews might as well be wearing the red practice jersey. Love to see him playing with JT"s intensity.

Cobra777 likes this.
  25. GardinerTheForward

GardinerTheForward Registered User

NHL Defenceman
    I am B blood type - BO Rh+ in prticular. I’ll sell my liver lobe now for 10K

The Spring Samauri likes this.