Please Kyle, just a few tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
1-scrap this “roll out 4 fresh lines” approach; these are mostly young athletes, they can handle it. How is anybody supposed to get any momentum? Seems half the time players are switching, defense waiting behind the net patiently. Notice none of the following get less than 20 minutes a night: Point, Kucherov, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Bergeron, Marchand, Pasternak, Crosby. Get Matthews, Marner etc up to 21 minutes minimum, best teams play their best players (and most of the above are older to boot).

2-Fill forward roster spots 10,11,12 with two muscular hittters (like a Ryan Reeves) who can skate, let the third spot go to a penalty killer. Play them sparingly but rotate the two “muscles” in and out of the top 3 lines without warning. Should create an energy rush at least, but no more unanswered assaults by opponents (like the hit on Dermott or Lindgrenblast night). Use sparingly though.

3-Stack the power play and give them the full 2 minutes, so they avoid not building any momentum because they exit after 2 or 3 forays and one minute at that. Practice makes perfect. Sure this isn’t always feasible given some of the “stacked group” may have just finished a shift, but where possible.

4-Get a “bruiser” on defense, sacrifice one spot to clear the enemy at times. Even put him on the P.K. (if he’s mobile enough) to clear the opponents front net presence.

Sorry Leafs, I love you dearly but as is I don’t believe this is a playoff team, it’s a wonderful talented team during the regular season, but can’t just have the “stick check skate by’s.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Point: 18:29
Kucherov: 19:06
Kuznetsov: 18:34
Bergeron: 18:51
Marchand: 19:50

Matthews: 18:08
Marner: 19:37
Tavares: 19:02

Good teams don't play their forwards over 20 minutes.
Op hasn't realized it's the weekend yet. Just take a breather

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Does everyone mean Dave Nonis? Ya'll basically begging for his return. Go sign a Clarkson and trade for a Gleason, and bring in Orr and McLaren. Then we can beat up the Habs and miss the playoffs.
A little overreaction there. A lot of softies tend to overreact I found over the years. A little McQuaid on blue line and a little Simmons up front goes a long ways in playoffs my friend.

Reactions: Cobra777 and Ports

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Point: 18:29
Kucherov: 19:06
Kuznetsov: 18:34
Bergeron: 18:51
Marchand: 19:50

Matthews: 18:08
Marner: 19:37
Tavares: 19:02

Good teams don't play their forwards over 20 minutes.

Agreed.

Only McDavid gets absurd minutes and that says it all about his team. Almost played 28 minutes versus Vancouver (without overtime).

That's ridiculous.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Does everyone mean Dave Nonis? Ya'll basically begging for his return. Go sign a Clarkson and trade for a Gleason, and bring in Orr and McLaren. Then we can beat up the Habs and miss the playoffs.
Who has ever suggested any of that?

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
The Leafs are in a good position and are still banking points for the stretch run before the playoffs. They're doing it without their main goalie, or even their 'backup,' and certain players are in slumps. It's not time to panic, even if our minds always go there because we want to win so badly.

It's too early to risk tiring players out by going to just three lines most of the time, especially when the team is winning a lot more games than it's losing, generally speaking.

I do agree that tweaks are needed. The fourth line has not impressed me much. Lindholm worries me going into the playoffs, Gauthier isn't reliable enough but has had a decent year in limited play, and we need someone who can stick up for the young guys when needed. Those guys are hard to find, though. We also don't want to go back to the truculence era.

Same with defense. Improvements are needed. It's not as easy as going out and picking someone off of a tree though. Hopefully it will happen before the postseason starts, but it may not.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I agree with giving our stars more minutes and acquiring a more physical forward for our playoff run. Other than that I think what we mainly need is a #2 defenceman and that should be Dubas' major concern as it's our biggest hole.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Miles Wood could be an interesting pick up. From what ive seen hes fast, physical, and somewhat big. Also chips in some offence. i think he would be a good target. Maby trade brown for him straight up? plus a 3rd or something.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
1-scrap this “roll out 4 fresh lines” approach; these are mostly young athletes, they can handle it. How is anybody supposed to get any momentum? Seems half the time players are switching, defense waiting behind the net patiently. Notice none of the following get less than 20 minutes a night: Point, Kucherov, Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Bergeron, Marchand, Pasternak, Crosby. Get Matthews, Marner etc up to 21 minutes minimum, best teams play their best players (and most of the above are older to boot).

Point 18:29
Kucherov 19:06
Ovechkin 21:09
Kuznetsov 18:43
Bergeron 18:51
Marchand 19:50
Pasternak 19:11
Crosby 20:33

Matthews 18:08
Marner 19:37

I don't see the problem here.....

2-Fill forward roster spots 10,11,12 with two muscular hittters (like a Ryan Reeves) who can skate, let the third spot go to a penalty killer. Play them sparingly but rotate the two “muscles” in and out of the top 3 lines without warning. Should create an energy rush at least, but no more unanswered assaults by opponents (like the hit on Dermott or Lindgrenblast night). Use sparingly though.

No...just no. We don't need 'muscles' that we use sparingly when we are one of the top offensive teams around. They provide zero value.

3-Stack the power play and give them the full 2 minutes, so they avoid not building any momentum because they exit after 2 or 3 forays and one minute at that. Practice makes perfect. Sure this isn’t always feasible given some of the “stacked group” may have just finished a shift, but where possible.

Again no. We can build 2 quality PP units and have them share the time, no not equally but we don't need to have one unit on the entire 2 minutes (unless of course they end up with sustain pressure the entire 2 minutes)

4-Get a “bruiser” on defense, sacrifice one spot to clear the enemy at times. Even put him on the P.K. (if he’s mobile enough) to clear the opponents front net presence.

This one I agree with, I would like to see a bit more of a physical presence on our back end.

Reactions: AreBe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad