Please Kyle, just a few tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Yes, let's change the approach that has the leafs second in the league so we can bring back old favorites like Polak and Martin, who worked so well here

* 5 way tie for 4th.

I’m sure you just missed that due to how perfectly fine everything is and always will be

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
yeah i'm fine with speed and skill over toughness.

and simmmonds really isn't good anymore.

You can't have a homogenized team though. You need guys that fit different rolls... Toronto has top many guys that play a similar, soft, game... What that gets you is your ass kicked against contenders who are bigger and stronger than you like the other night against Nashville.

You need skilled forwards. Nobody is arguing that. But you also need well rounded guys that go to tough places and win battles. You can't have a team full of Nylander's, playing a perimeter game, Johnsson's and Lindholm's getting run over anytime they come into contact with anyone... You need Matthews to play harder and stronger (like Tavares does). You need Mitch to keep being Mitch, because he's brilliant... And the team could really use another 25 goal scoring version of Hyman going into the playoff, IMO. A guy that will go retrieve the puck, along with Hyman and Kapanen when teams trap Toronto in the playoffs and take their stretch pass away entirely, forcing them to dump, chase, play heavy and puck retrieve.

Reactions: Cobra777 and Pookie
Sep 18, 2009
Trade deadline wishlist:

Physical RHD
Top 9 winger with jam, playoff experience
Maybe an upgrade on Gauthier for 4th line center

this is correct

Reactions: Cobra777

Whaleafs

Mar 24, 2017
HFX
good point. The Sharks are clearly better, because of their one more point in 3 more games. and I made the comment before the Flames won

Good point considering Calgary was already ahead of them before last night and the Leafs were still tied for 4th. Cope post harder though.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
No Edler, no Simmonds and I am a big Simmonds fan. Time has come and gone.

Curious what roster changes you might consider that might help us overcome the beat downs Toronto takes against teams like Nashville and Tampa (both recently), and even the Bruins who just out work, out hit and out play Toronto, even with 1/3 of their team out injured?

Do you think Toronto is built tough enough for the playoffs?... And I'm not talking fighters, I'm talking forwards willing to go into tough places and win tough battles even if they have to sacrifice their bodies and defensemen that don't shit their pants with the puck behind their net if they know they have to take a hit or win a battle to make a play...

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Trade deadline wishlist:

Physical RHD
Top 9 winger with jam, playoff experience
Maybe an upgrade on Gauthier for 4th line center

this is correct

Why not just add a winger and shift Marleau to 4C... He's played plenty of center in his career and is still a better option than just about any 4th line C you'll find on the market. I'd rather upgrade the wing with some size and strength and shift Patty down to 4C.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Good point considering Calgary was already ahead of them before last night and the Leafs were still tied for 4th. Cope post harder though.
not in terms of points percentage, which you seem weirdly opposed to using. maybe you don't realize that other teams have more games played, and it's dumb to not take that into consideration

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Curious what roster changes you might consider that might help us overcome the beat downs Toronto takes against teams like Nashville and Tampa (both recently), and even the Bruins who just out work, out hit and out play Toronto, even with 1/3 of their team out injured?

Do you think Toronto is built tough enough for the playoffs?... And I'm not talking fighters, I'm talking forwards willing to go into tough places and win tough battles even if they have to sacrifice their bodies and defensemen that don't **** their pants with the puck behind their net if they know they have to take a hit or win a battle to make a play...

I don't think it's our year anymore. Marleau aged, Kadri is off and just not the same. The Nylander thing doesn't seem to be sitting well. Matthews tbh looks like he is being frozen before games. JT Rielly and Marner are basically running the show and Matthews when healthy is like a whole line on his own.

I think the answers are always on the farm. Kids love to get a shot and play with adrenaline. Lilj Sandy Bracco Moore. We have stars, we need hunger and nobody is more hungry than a kid.

Whaleafs

Mar 24, 2017
HFX
not in terms of points percentage, which you seem weirdly opposed to using. maybe you don't realize that other teams have more games played, and it's dumb to not take that into consideration

If you need hypotheticals for your goal-post moving, then by all means.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If you need hypotheticals for your goal-post moving, then by all means.
you clearly don't understand what goal post moving means, since the Leafs were 2nd in the league by the only intelligent criteria when I made my post. it's not my fault you don't realize the Leafs can't earn points in games they don't play in

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I don't think it's our year anymore. Marleau aged, Kadri is off and just not the same. The Nylander thing doesn't seem to be sitting well. Matthews tbh looks like he is being frozen before games. JT Rielly and Marner are basically running the show and Matthews when healthy is like a whole line on his own.

I think the answers are always on the farm. Kids love to get a shot and play with adrenaline. Lilj Sandy Bracco Moore. We have stars, we need hunger and nobody is more hungry than a kid.

Fair enough. Thanks for the response.

Although I would argue that there are some vets out there who I think can show the way and lead by example. Guys who have never won a cup and want a shot at one. And guys who might find some new energy if they went from a team that isn't going to make the playoffs, to a top 4-5 team that could have a real shot with the right additions.

As for Kadri and Matthews slumping, I think a lot of that has to do with Nylander missing a lot of time, Johnsson playing dinged up early, the lines getting shuffled again with the Hyman injury, Kapanen playing all over the lineup, Ennis moving up and down before his injury, Brown playing on all 4 lines at times this year...

It has to be frustrating for Matthews and Kadri... They've had little continuity in terms of linemates and on top of that, Kadri has been snake bitten by posts and crossbars this year, as well as some pucks in tight that he's banged home in the past and just can't seem to get his stick on this year. Kadri has 9 goals, but with a little puck luck he might be at 13-14 goals (realistically) and could be on pace to apparoach 30 again, especially, if he has a little late season surge once his linemates stabilize and they build a little bit of chemistry.

Moving down into a definitive 3C position, a 27-28 goal season would change the optics of his season, significantly. Unfortauntely, at this point I think 21-22 would be a salavaged 2nd half at this point.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Fair enough. Thanks for the response.

Although I would argue that there are some vets out there who I think can show the way and lead by example. Guys who have never won a cup and want a shot at one. And guys who might find some new energy if they went from a team that isn't going to make the playoffs, to a top 4-5 team that could have a real shot with the right additions.

As for Kadri and Matthews slumping, I think a lot of that has to do with Nylander missing a lot of time, Johnsson playing dinged up early, the lines getting shuffled again with the Hyman injury, Kapanen playing all over the lineup, Ennis moving up and down before his injury, Brown playing on all 4 lines at times this year...

It has to be frustrating for Matthews and Kadri... They've had little continuity in terms of linemates and on top of that, Kadri has been snake bitten by posts and crossbars this year, as well as some pucks in tight that he's banged home in the past and just can't seem to get his stick on this year. Kadri has 9 goals, but with a little puck luck he might be at 13-14 goals (realistically) and could be on pace to apparoach 30 again, especially, if he has a little late season surge once his linemates stabilize and they build a little bit of chemistry.

Moving down into a definitive 3C position, a 27-28 goal season would change the optics of his season, significantly. Unfortauntely, at this point I think 21-22 would be a salavaged 2nd half at this point.

If Nylander played just a single game where he hit and got into a fight, or say Matthews or JT or Morgan because it's on the line. That would do more for this team than some guy like Simmonds. They aren't small guys, they need someone to get them pounding their chests and going, show them how to hit that next gear, like your son or daughters life is in danger. Guys that tune into that frequency win championships, because want to, they have to, they need to.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
One question.

If we get bounced again in round 1 by Boston or any team that leans heavily on a top line ---> should the Leafs sports science department shoulder any accountability at all?

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
If we get bounced again in round 1 by Boston or any team that leans heavily on a top line ---> should the Leafs sports science department shoulder any accountability at all?
Not sure who those guys are, but the problem with the Leafs is what the IrishInOntario alluded to.

The Leafs are a one-dimensional perimeter team, outside of Tavares and Kadri. Marleau tries to do his part, along with Hyman, Brown, but really that is not enough.

It is very easy to defend the Leafs attack if the other team has good defensemen and forwards who come back quickly.

There is no net presence with the Leafs. There is Hyman, but I really thought Levio was better at standing in front of the net. They got rid of him.

Without no one in front of the net standing there, the other team will try to take away the passing lane, the shooting lane, then the skating lane. Then the Leafs play the entire game on the perimeter, waiting around for someone to do something.

Play the right way is what Babcock always said. Most of the young players have not listened. Only Marner.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
* 5 way tie for 4th.

I’m sure you just missed that due to how perfectly fine everything is and always will be

Nope, just 4th. Washington (last years Stanley cup winner) is tied on record but has less ROWs.

The other who have same amount of points have played more games. They are officially “below” us in the standings, for example, they get first dibs on waiver wire, etc...

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
LOL, how many guys with playoff experience do you need? Every player who was on this team last year had playoff experience. Marleau, Hainsey and Andersen all have playoff experience with other teams.

I don't think we should sacrifice skill for grit on the LW. Marleau, Hyman, Johnsson are all a good size and have skill. Yes Ennis is considered small, but he has also adds scoring depth.

Gauthier is fine as a fourth line centre. He is big, cheap and can give you 10 minutes a game. I don't think any other teams fourth line centre would be considered an upgrade.

What we need is a top pairing RD, it has been said many times and hopefully Dubas finds one.

The Leafs have the skill and size (average weight is 199.8), they just need to keep their foot on the gas for a full 60 minutes.

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
I laugh at all the posters who get their parties in a bunch when some9ne mentions how soft we are. Automatically they start the face punching routine.

Did anyone watch the last bruins game when Wagner tries to take Reilly’s head off. Wow that beat down by Hainsey really will make that shit stop.

If backes runs our goalie like always please name one defensman who will drop the gloves or even get into a scrum defending him.
Not one
We have the softest team in the league period!

So what if we are at the top of the standings. It doesn’t mean crap.
The playoffs are a complete different beast. If your happy finishing second during the regular season and getting bounced every first round I don’t know what to tell you.

It’s going to be very interesting to see what nylander and Matthews brings, to the playoffs

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
LOL, how many guys with playoff experience do you need? Every player who was on this team last year had playoff experience. Marleau, Hainsey and Andersen all have playoff experience with other teams.

I don't think we should sacrifice skill for grit on the LW. Marleau, Hyman, Johnsson are all a good size and have skill. Yes Ennis is considered small, but he has also adds scoring depth.

Gauthier is fine as a fourth line centre. He is big, cheap and can give you 10 minutes a game. I don't think any other teams fourth line centre would be considered an upgrade.

What we need is a top pairing RD, it has been said many times and hopefully Dubas finds one.

The Leafs have the skill and size (average weight is 199.8), they just need to keep their foot on the gas for a full 60 minutes.

They have the size and skill they just don’t have the drive to use their size. We definitely need size and the players to use it. Gauthier is the softest big man in the league. He should be destroying guys with his size but that is not his style.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I laugh at all the posters who get their parties in a bunch when some9ne mentions how soft we are. Automatically they start the face punching routine.

Did anyone watch the last bruins game when Wagner tries to take Reilly’s head off. Wow that beat down by Hainsey really will make that **** stop.

If backes runs our goalie like always please name one defensman who will drop the gloves or even get into a scrum defending him.
Not one
We have the softest team in the league period!

So what if we are at the top of the standings. It doesn’t mean crap.
The playoffs are a complete different beast. If your happy finishing second during the regular season and getting bounced every first round I don’t know what to tell you.

It’s going to be very interesting to see what nylander and Matthews brings, to the playoffs

You haven’t helped the case on the “softness” argument. Being the opposite of “soft” (however you define it — many have different definitions) has not shown to limit goalie runs, boarding against, etc...

It’s only entertainment.

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad