Please Grade Dubas on today's Free Agent Pickups.

Give Kyle Dubas a letter grade on this day.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I give it a B. Mainly because I think he did great for what we have in cap space to work with. He addressed toughness in bringing back Simmonds, and adding Ritchie & Gabriel. He addressed a true defensive C in Kampf, who can win draws and PK, which we have been sorely lacking. He found imo the perfect tandem partner for Campbell...I see these two growing together for years to come. And he added a lot of pieces in their mid 20s at low risk contracts. Bunting is a breakout candidate on the cheap, and Kase could be a great reclamation project. I think the only thing we're missing at the moment, is that rough/big bodied, PK type Dman to play bottom pairing. All in all, happy with the work done with budget shopping

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas should trade Reilly and Kerfoot for a Dman thats superior to Reilly, thats 8.5 million in cap approx for that Dman. The forward depth can easily replace Kerfoot, who I view as a jack of all trades player that doesnt really excel in any aspect and often is blending in.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
As much as Dubas pisses me off; I think the best way to move forward is to just go for it every year until Matthews/Willy are UFAs.

Don't think there is another way that we should approach it. No point in holding out and wasting the core's years together.

Rielly potentially is walking as UFA next season; and it won't be easy to keep Willy and Matthews once they hit UFAs IMO.

Given that this management will not move Marner; there is just no other way. Just go for it every year whatever happens happens.

If we are not able to accomplish it, then we just rebuild again and hope for the best. Hopefully, before both Matthews and Willy hit UFA we at least get one cup out of it :crossfing

Reactions: ottomaddox

Chr1988

Feb 9, 2020
as much as i hate to say this this team was totally built wrong by dubas. Defence is way to average and the tavares contract killed this rebuild. cant sign any supporting players :( and reilly will be gone next year like all the other players we have lost to having no cap space. I think this is dubas last dance and he should of traded marner for a cheaper winger and defender. and made the core players work for there salary

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
As much as Dubas pisses me off; I think the best way to move forward is to just go for it every year until Matthews/Willy are UFAs.

Don't think there is another way that we should approach it. No point in holding out and wasting the core's years together.

Rielly potentially is walking as UFA next season; and it won't be easy to keep Willy and Matthews once they hit UFAs IMO.

Given that this management will not move Marner; there is just no other way. Just go for it every year whatever happens happens.

If we are not able to accomplish it, then we just rebuild again and hope for the best. Hopefully, before both Matthews and Willy hit UFA we at least get one cup out of it :crossfing

I agree with most of this, but the time line is even shorter. Matthews has only 2 seasons left with TOR. Why? Because he will likely want to play in the US with his next retirement contract. Toronto absolutely has to get assets for him via trade. Can they afford to pay his next contract? Not with WN, JT, and MM still here.

Dubas is doing his due diligence, but his track record for finding low dollar talent from the margins is not great. With maybe Spezza being his best / luckiest pick-up. Edit - also Campbell. Malgin, Petan, Thornton, Simmonds...not so good.
His new acquisitions won't be so great and won't have prominent roles accept for Mrazek.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I agree with most of this, but the time line is even shorter. Matthews has only 2 seasons left with TOR. Why? Because he will likely want to play in the US with his next retirement contract. Toronto absolutely has to get assets for him via trade. Can they afford to pay his next contract? Not with WN, JT, and MM still here.

Dubas is doing his due diligence, but his track record for finding low dollar talent from the margins is not great. With maybe Spezza being his best / luckiest pick-up. Edit - also Campbell. Malgin, Petan, Thornton, Simmonds...not so good.
His new acquisitions won't be so great and won't have prominent roles accept for Mrazek.
I wish we knew if he wanted to stay here. We love him but the lack of success and the media/fans roasting of his buddy’s Mitch and Freddy has me a little worried.

Chr1988

Feb 9, 2020
We have one of the better defenses in the league, pretty much entirely because of Dubas.
i would have to disagree i think Dubas has done an amazing job with what was on the market but still not even close to best in the league. it sucks that sandin or lily wont be stud #1 defenders and there gonna loose reilly next yr i think they have to trade marner for a d if its another 1st rd exit

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Dubas should trade Reilly and Kerfoot for a Dman thats superior to Reilly, thats 8.5 million in cap approx for that Dman. The forward depth can easily replace Kerfoot, who I view as a jack of all trades player that doesnt really excel in any aspect and often is blending in.
This works however I believe Kerfoot will be sacrificed along with Kessel retention for Rielly, Campbell, Sandin & Liljegren raises

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
I persinally think its gonna be tougher for them going back to atlantic divison and think theyll be around 15th to 20th tampa/boston/florida will be tough games

wrong .... the atlantic is the second worst division in hockey. every team got worse except for detroit
also besides tampa , it has the worst collection of goalies
an hurt price whos been terrible year after year in the regular season
bobrovsky trying to stop a beach ball . shades of bryzgalov anyone ?
ullmark
murrary
bernier
c. anderson

put ur money on matthews scoring 60+ easy

kb

Aug 28, 2009
wrong .... the atlantic is the second worst division in hockey. every team got worse except for detroit
also besides tampa , it has the worst collection of goalies
an hurt price whos been terrible year after year in the regular season
bobrovsky trying to stop a beach ball . shades of bryzgalov anyone ?
ullmark
murrary
bernier
c. anderson

put ur money on matthews scoring 60+ easy
Yup. The 3rd and 5th place teams pointswise in the Atlantic played in the cup final. 4 of the top 10 points teams.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
none,
on paper you could say the leafs but i would go that far because there are no many question marks with the players they picked up

No I mean which teams in the league got better.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
B+ on paper... lets see how that translates onto the ice

Why B+? That's almost an A. Is it because he did so much with so little, or is TOR better on paper? Do you consider Dubas has filled all the vacancies? To me he still needs 2 forwards and a D man.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Top 4 is solid for sure, worry about Bogo leaving and the youngsters getting beat up on that last pair. Love the player’s individually but would feel better if we had that big bodied reliable older partner for them
Dermott-Bogosian were probably one of the least frustrating 3rd pairs in a longg time but their impact, especially Bogosians was always wildly overrated.

If Muzzin/Holl can stay healthy to start the year I think Liljegren can step into that secondary PK unit and provide a better impact on both sides of the puck 5 on 5. He handled the assignment with Muzzin really well outside of the 4 minutes on the PK. Very encouraging.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Dermott-Bogosian were probably one of the least frustrating 3rd pairs in a longg time but their impact, especially Bogosians was always wildly overrated.

If Muzzin/Holl can stay healthy to start the year I think Liljegren can step into that secondary PK unit and provide a better impact on both sides of the puck 5 on 5. He handled the assignment with Muzzin really well outside of the 4 minutes on the PK. Very encouraging.

I don't know what the issue was (cap constraints?) but why wouldn't they have given Lily a shot last year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad