Please Grade Dubas on today's Free Agent Pickups.

Give Kyle Dubas a letter grade on this day.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Had it at B, keeping it B. Prior free agent periods he's shown significantly more creativity. I think he had some bullets to fire in regards to a marquee acquisition that he's perhaps keeping for dead line day. Overall, I am whelmed.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I think Steve dangles last video on the Kase and Ritchie signings really put perspective into the loss of Hyman. I was happy with Dubas’ work prior to the 2 most recent signings, but even more so now. I think If It were up to me, I would have let holl go in expansion, kept McCann and not signed kase. I just think kase is a bit to fragile to pen in on any lineup consistently. But who knows. All n all, I think Kyle has done a great job with what he had to work with. No contracts that will kill us in the future either

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
We knew we weren't getting any big fish so I like what he's done here. I'm hoping for some chemistry and for 1 or 2 guys to outplay their deals. Looking around the league I think there was some absolutely terrible signings so I'm happy we kept things low key. Most of the contender's got worse IMO

Reactions: Leaffan1991

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I really like what Dubas has done for you guys this off-season. Less emphasis on guys with veteran intangibles and superficial #grit, just useful role-players that can have real, measurable impact on play-driving or shot-suppression at good value. In Kase’s case, if he can stay healthy, you’re paying nothing for a top 6 guy.

Only ding against him thus far is term on Mzarek’s contract IMO. One year too long.

But Im keeping an extra eye on the Leafs this season. I think a lot of people in the media are expecting a big step back based on the lack of ‘name brand’ adds, but will be surprised how well the ‘no-names’ slide in and make a difference.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We still need another LW to slot into the top 6 and a gritty depth defenceman.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Most people won't care to change their vote so this poll is now bust. Given the cap space it's an A, but the cap space is our own fault so it's a B.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Went from a D to a C. I don't think Kase will work out. Too many injuries. I think Ritchie has a chance to excel in spite of his warts.

Even though my opinion of the team lately is negative I actually don't think they'll have an issue making the playoffs in a division spot. Once again, it'll come down to playoff performance.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
F to a D. We still didn't get our top six forward, I'm not a believer in the forward group at all.

Good luck to the Leafs, they'll need it in the Atlantic this season.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
I really like what Dubas has done for you guys this off-season. Less emphasis on guys with veteran intangibles and superficial #grit, just useful role-players that can have real, measurable impact on play-driving or shot-suppression at good value. In Kase’s case, if he can stay healthy, you’re paying nothing for a top 6 guy.

Only ding against him thus far is term on Mzarek’s contract IMO. One year too long.

But Im keeping an extra eye on the Leafs this season. I think a lot of people in the media are expecting a big step back based on the lack of ‘name brand’ adds, but will be surprised how well the ‘no-names’ slide in and make a difference.
He does seem to have added some very functional parts that will serve clear roles on the team, ie Kampf as a true checking centre, Bunting as an energy winger with some scoring touch. Two year deals will also bridge to when our prospect base should start to deliver some reinforcements.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
This offseason is a good reminder that folks shouldn't start predicting the roster a couple hours into free agency (or the draft, for some folks(

It’s also a reminder that offseason acquisitions may not mean anything come Playoff time.

so approach Dubas’ work with indifference.

he hasn’t earned any optimism in his failure as a GM so far.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
This offseason is a good reminder that folks shouldn't start predicting the roster a couple hours into free agency (or the draft, for some folks(

I'll add:

Remember, the dubas fan club has hyped this team up like crazy the last 3 years and yet we all know how those seasons played out.

The list of embarrassing events just keeps growing under kyle.

Use your own brain and evaluate. Don't just parrot what you hear Steve dangle ramble on about.

Dubas hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Mentat

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I still can't grade him as we don't have a set lineup. Signing guys is not the only way to improve so until we see what KD's trades might be, we can't judge the wisdom of spending his limited cap on UFAs.
If it stopped here with no more trades or signings that would be a fail to me but we have no idea that it has.

I see a bunch of gambles but not a lot of wasted spending. Adding contracts that can be buried is very low risk and Kase has a small chance at being a great deal if he can avoid being concussed. I am not a big Mrazek fan because I don't think the Leafs defend like Carolina, but after seeing what Kuemper cost I feel a lot happier with the value. They aren't going into next year with Rittich and Hutch as their backstops and when you start the season with a .923 goalie as your 1a, that can't be bad. I will miss Bogo but he was a 3rd pairing guy with a bullseye on his back from Lily and I don't think they could sign him for the minimum as TB did anyway. Ritchie for 2.5 works fine for me, but he can't replace Hyman's minutes so I don't see him on the top line. 5pp goals last season tho as he was 2nd unit sop he could be more than some are predicting..

Anything spent on UFAs also affects what trades can be done so people shouldn't too get caught up with who the team didn't sign because we mostly don't know how close those likes came to be Leafs next season. So many moving parts right now.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I changed my vote on Dubas just now on his signings. I really though he wasn’t going to learn from past errors. As it turns out he learns very well. Trusting in your core and treating everyone with respect is one thing.
Thinking everyone needs to look good on a spreadsheet in the rest of the lineup was a mistake. He’s added the nasty ornary element and fighters and physical elements to level out the team construction properly.
That said, i was only voting on signings.

We can’t afford M.Rielly and he really needs to manage assets on this. Trading him before the season starts is probably the best thing to do for best return. Reason being for that though is Rielly doesn’t bring everything you expect of a #1 dman. He just doesn’t have the big shot from the point and doesn’t quarterback the powerplay very well either.

Time to asset manage. Kerfoot is in the same boat in that he is lacking. Center that isn’t a center and can’t get you the puck the higher majority of the time off the draw.

I like both but that is nothing to do with whats right to do. So i am hoping Dubas isn’t done.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
I'll add:

Remember, the dubas fan club has hyped this team up like crazy the last 3 years and yet we all know how those seasons played out.

The list of embarrassing events just keeps growing under kyle.

Use your own brain and evaluate. Don't just parrot what you hear Steve dangle ramble on about.

Dubas hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.
lol so salty. You realize NHL is sports right? Why wouldn't we hype our team especially one that was seen as a contender. Making up imaginary fan clubs because you hate the concept of teams having fans.

Reactions: cookie

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It’s also a reminder that offseason acquisitions may not mean anything come Playoff time.

so approach Dubas’ work with indifference.

he hasn’t earned any optimism in his failure as a GM so far.

Agreed.

What's his success rate with his "value contract" acquisitions thus far....maybe 25%?

Reactions: Pookie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->