Playoffs, Draft and lotto format announced - Are you happy with the format for the habs, or no?

Are you happy with the draft, lotto + playoff format from a Habs perspective?

• Total voters

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What's happening is just an all too real joke, and damn, let's say we manage to win the Stanley Cup, there will forever be an * beside it.

We better lose in the 1st round, for our own sake, we need that 8th overall pick (or those warped top-3 odds) more than to appease management or those 'superfans' ego, and also perhaps to remind those delusional enough to think that with a 'healthy Price' we have a chance for everything, while we were bottom-10 with a healthy Price, so yeah.

It's always the same BS. A healthy Price and anything can happen. We need to distance ourselves from that level of simpleton madness, any which way we can.

Just build a solid team so we don't have to constantly have boom or bust scenarios that depend on Price.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's always the same BS. A healthy Price and anything can happen. We need to distance ourselves from that level of simpleton madness, any which way we can.

Just build a solid team so we don't have to constantly have boom or bust scenarios that depend on Price.
Give me a decent top 6 and a solid mix of young and old/mobile D core and a good, not great goalie in the 5-6 million per year range and I think that the results would be much different. This team needs talent, we need someone in the top 20 in scoring on a consistent basis, especially in a pp mad offensive based league, we need that 80 point guy that can burn teams. We also desperately need some good talent in the minors that can step up when needed or even be impressive enough to steal jobs at the NHL level, this is what we are lacking. We can't just luck our way into anything and the results prove it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Give me a decent top 6 and a solid mix of young and old/mobile D core and a good, not great goalie in the 5-6 million per year range and I think that the results would be much different. This team needs talent, we need someone in the top 20 in scoring on a consistent basis, especially in a pp mad offensive based league, we need that 80 point guy that can burn teams. We also desperately need some good talent in the minors that can step up when needed or even be impressive enough to steal jobs at the NHL level, this is what we are lacking. We can't just luck our way into anything and the results prove it.

All of that plus, optimize the asset mix. You can't have 2 and 3 small statured players on every line. Ideally, one undersized player per line.

No need to reinvent the wheel, use ideas that have produced success on other teams.

So much work to be done, it's just too much to ask an organization set in its ways under Molson and Bergevin, to be something that they can't envision nor execute properly.

Trying to project something good out of their speeches is probably the most frustrating part since most of what they say is completely meaningless or is fraught with cliches. Can't wait for this Houlesque era to be over and done with.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We have not acquired a truly skilled player, under MB. Muckers, grinders, and projects, and a ton of 6-7-8 Dmen.
We haven't drafted one, or traded for one ( Domi maybe ) and don't give the what about Drouin crap, the guy has been a dud.
Skilled players are not on the radar of a clown GM. 8 years later.......and we wonder why everyone has lost patience with MB.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
All of that plus, optimize the asset mix. You can't have 2 and 3 small statured players on every line. Ideally, one undersized player per line.

No need to reinvent the wheel, use ideas that have produced success on other teams.

So much work to be done, it's just too much to ask an organization set in its was under Molson and Bergevin, to be something that they can't envision nor execute properly. Trying to project something good out of their speeches is probably the most frustrating part since most of what they say is completely meaningless or is fraught with cliches. Can't wait for this Houlesque era to be over and done with.
I would take Reggie over MB any day.....Reggie was never given carte blanche the way MB has...we are now a total clusterf%^k thanks to MB.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2020-5-30_10-53-29.png

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
I'll start by saying - YES - i'm very happy for us.

Playoffs is a hail mary. We didn't deserve it - but we're being told "hey - beat this team, and you're in". I know there's a lot of negativity around here usually - but when the rails started falling off the season earlier in the year, if we had been told "hey - if you beat this team, you're in the playoffs" - I know I personally would have taken it. So i'm certainly happy being given a second chance.

Lotto odds - we'll know before the play-ins if #1, 2 or 3 picks are in-play. I'm far from a pro-tanker - but if last season as we were fighting for a playoff spot in the last few weeks of the season, if we had known before season ended that if Habs miss - we win a lotto picks (or - have between a 12.5% to 37.5% chance at once) - that would have been a hell of a consolation prize. And if no lotto picks are won - than screw it, i definitely want to win no matter what. So - I think knowing this beforehand, especially if no lotto picks are won by teams 24-17th - will be a big plus.

Odds of us winning a lotto pick under normal circumstances was 6%. Seems like a super long shot. I like the fact that all teams 24-17ths are being gathered in a pool with a 24.5% chance to win either pick. I think the math translates to giving us a 3% overall chance per pick vs 6% - which is less - but I still feel like i like this 2 round approach better for us. Because with 6% odds, I feel like we'd never win. 12.5% if we make it to round 2 is more promising.

And - as someone who always wants to make the playoffs and argues we'd have a 'puncher's chance' once in - I think the unique circumstances with this season give us some strong consideration for an upset. So i'd love to see us actually win against Pitt and do good - and i'm glad we're being given the chance.

So how does everyone else feel about it?
A lot of the fans you call negative have had your opinion in the past when they were younger and just want more now. I used to watch every game from the 90s to the 2010s with my eyes glued with excitement to the TV. We spent years hoping to make the playoffs just to cause an upset so we understand.

We’ve moved on now because we want to actually win and realize what it takes. Nobody can trick us into a false sense of “anything can happen when you make the playoffs” because we’ve experienced it.

I experienced the Cup in 93 as a kid and I just had a baby this January. I want him to experience that too one day. Not this.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
lol. Why in the world is "no" winning at 87%? You guys are unbelievable. This is best of both worlds:

1. We get into the playoffs. did 87% of you really want this team not to make the playoffs all season long? I know some did - but many fans here were hopeful/wanting to qualify until our season went off the rails with injuries/other issues, and at that point you embraced the high draft pick instead. How is this hail-mary of a 24 team playoff different than if we had gone on a 10 game winning streak/Tor/Fla imploded and we made it anyways?

2. You still keep your lotto odds! The past few weeks have been full of rumors from the NHL of restricting the lotto to "only bottom 3 teams" or "can't go up more then 4 slots". None of those limitations have actually materialized. So we'll have our shot at Lafreniere, and #1, 2 and 3 overall. I get that our % goes down from 6 to 3% - but if we had finished the season, it's very possible we'd have finished 22nd or 21st instead of 24th overall, and that % would have gone down anyways. So I don't think the variance of 3% to 6% is such a huge issue, considering all the rumors we were hearing of us being completely excluded past few weeks.

I feel like Montreal is the team that benefits the absolute most in the league from this system.
Absolutely not. Because playoffs don’t actually help this team and most fans see it for what it is. You want to experience playoffs, however it comes, other people want actual success.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
To me it narrows down to two options. Lafrenière or the Cup. Our chances at either are less than slim. So rather than crying about what could have been an 8th pick, and after the first three, they're more inclined to be bust material. I'll go for the cup. :thumbu:
I hate this mentality. There’s more than just one player in the draft worth building with.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
:sarcasm:

But seriously, I’d like to understand how anyone can say this is a good situation for us. I just don’t see it no matter how I look at it. Money talks but this season should’ve been canceled weeks ago. I’ll never consider the winner of that stupid summer league tournament a legit Stanley Cup champion. Completely worthless.
They’re the people who still buy tickets and merchandise. So check the shops you’ll find them.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
I don't like the format. Some of the 8 teams that have been thrown in have depleted lineups because they were sellers at the deadline. This puts them at a disadvantage IMO. They should have a trade window or something if they really want to give any of these 8 teams a legit chance at the Cup.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I don't like the format. Some of the 8 teams that have been thrown in have depleted lineups because they were sellers at the deadline. This puts them at a disadvantage IMO. They should have a trade window or something if they really want to give any of these 8 teams a legit chance at the Cup.

Who cares about fairness and sportsmanship!?

It's entuurtainmemt and maaaawneeey

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's so complicated for no reason whatsoever.
As mentioned above too, our odds of getting a better draft pick haven't improved, they've worsened and all this so we can play in this dumb summer tournament and lose.

If the Pens somehow end up with a top 3 pick while we lose in a 1st or 2nd round....I'm gonna be fuming.
If we beat both Pittsburgh and another team and get to the final 8 teams and then lose, we don't deserve a top-3 pick.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If we beat both Pittsburgh and another team and get to the final 8 teams and then lose, we don't deserve a top-3 pick.
Why not? This cute little summer tournament has really nothing to do with the past season. Heck, even taking the standings to determine the teams is ridiculous. They're not starting before July, which is 3 months off, that's as long as a normal off season.
We sucked all year, the outcome of this silly tournament is irrelevant to whether or not we should be in the lotto. We absolutely should.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That doesn’t mean playoffs or bust. Learn about the other prospects.
I've seen enough prospects come and go in years before, I don't really care about them until they're drafted.
Too many Nail Yakuflops, but Alexis has intangibles for a team like the Habs other don't.

Reactions: angusyoung

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
I've seen enough prospects come and go in years before, I don't really care about them until they're drafted.
Too many Nail Yakuflops, but Alexis has intangibles for a team like the Habs other don't.

in besaball they calcule the number of wins a player will bring you. They sais that x player would give us 3 more wins etc.

we are in the same boat, we have 5 wins (points) below pitts and we have no chances.

bring laf and another good player and we are a playoff team..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad