Playoffs, Draft and lotto format announced - Are you happy with the format for the habs, or no?

Are you happy with the draft, lotto + playoff format from a Habs perspective?

• Total voters

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I hate the new lottery odds. Why do they feel the need to give a 12,5% odd to every team that loses its play-in? They should just be re-ranked after they are eliminated, based on their regular season standings, with the same odds they would get on a normal draft lottery. A team like Toronto could lose its play-in and get the same exact odd as the Habs for a top 3 draft pick.

I'm tempted to believe this "rule" has been designed to please the Leafs. They give them a candy in case they happen to lose their play-in. It makes no sense otherwise.

That said, I'll still enjoy watching the play-in games!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
An advantage, probably not, but the odds of them beating the Pens are much better now than back in March.
It's very common for bad teams to start the year on fire and hover at the top, and vice versa with good teams being at the bottom.
That's why it's a bit silly.

I agree that the odds of beating the Pens now are better than they were in March.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Don't forget they have Zucker and Hornqvist, too.

While Habs do have a good enough team to pull an upset. It's not like the Pens are coming in with a bunch of scrubs. They are still the superior team.

They have a way more talented roster. I also don’t think how teams did at the start of the season matters as much. They are going to play games that matter way more than games played in October. I think you’re going to see guys like Crosby and Malkin put it into a extra gear in these games. And remember this team knows how to win in the playoffs; they are only a few years removed from being back to back champs.

Of course the Habs have a chance, but they are going to have play over their heads to win.

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
I hope Bettman's summer shinny gimmick doesn't go ahead.I want a better chance at a top pick rather than play this silly no contact playoffs. Whoever wins will get the giant asterix no matter what people think.I prefer a good pick and fresh start in October or soon after that. This is not good for our team

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So..when is this meant to start? They said training camp will be in early July?...loll
I really hope that by July I won't be so bored that staying at home to watch hockey will be the best thing to do...

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It is what it is... if they beat Pittsburgh and make the playoffs , I’ll be happy . If they lose , let’s hope they at least stay in the top 10 . I’m trying to see it as a win win

Unless they beat the Pens and go all the way to win the cup I don't see beating the Pens to make the playoffs as really being a win. Their potential top 10 pick and any lottery chance they had would be gone and 16th would be the highest they could draft just because they won a meaningless play in or maybe one meaningless playoff round and then getting eliminated.

Getting a potential top 10 pick would be much better than winning a play in round and then likely losing in round 1 of the playoffs and drafting 16th or possibly even lower if they advance further but still end up losing without winning the cup.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
I remember a few months ago how many posters here were excited about Kovalchuk when he started playing here saying how nice it was to have such a talented, exciting player that gives us a chance to win every night. Now many of those same posters are willing to trade away the chance of such a potential player (top 3) that could be here for the next 15 years just so the Habs can play 1 or 2 meaningless playoff rounds that will in nothing help the future of this franchise.. :help:
This fanbase sometimes...:facepalm:

frapp10

Feb 21, 2015
What I don’t understand is why they don’t just do the draft lottery after the play in round is finished. Re rank the teams who lost based off there regular season points percentage. We are not having the draft until after the playoffs anyways

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I was trying to explain to my Dad how this system actually hurts the Habs chances at a top 3 pick, but the 12.5% number was throwing him off.

I took a stab at calculating the odds myself, but my math skills are a bit rusty. I know they originally had a 19% shot at a top 3 pick, but I'm not sure how to calculate the new odds given the 2 round system. If my calculations are correct, there's a... 79.4% chance at least one of the play-in teams gets a top 3 pick. I'm not sure if that's right, and in any case I'm not sure where to go from there...

Maybe someone better at math can help me out.

What I don’t understand is why they don’t just do the draft lottery after the play in round is finished. Re rank the teams who lost based off there regular season points percentage. We are not having the draft until after the playoffs anyways

Ratings and fan interest. They get to put on a show and get everyone excited. Then if a play-in team wins a lottery spot, that's 16 fanbases who are all excited for the next round of the lottery. Basically, it gives fans something to talk about while we all wait for hockey to actually start.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
So if the "A" team wins a lottery spot, that's the Habs right if we loose to the Pens? Imagine... You know you will get a top 3 spot before you play the Pens (if you loose) :sarcasm:.

I think this will be a something people talk about and not sure if the draft lottery should be done before the play in playoffs are done.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
So if the "A" team wins a lottery spot, that's the Habs right if we loose to the Pens? Imagine... You know you will get a top 3 spot before you play the Pens (if you loose) :sarcasm:.

I think this will be a something people talk about and not sure if the draft lottery should be done before the play in playoffs are done.

That’s incorrect. Team A is just a placeholder for the phase 1 lottery. Teams 8-15 can collectively win a lottery spot or spots. They then hold a phase 2 lottery to see who wins that lottery spot(s) from the teams eliminated from the qualifying round. With each team eliminated having equal odds.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That’s incorrect. Team A is just a placeholder for the phase 1 lottery. Teams 8-15 can collectively win a lottery spot or spots. They then hold a phase 2 lottery to see who wins that lottery spot(s) from the teams eliminated from the qualifying round. With each team eliminated having equal odds.

You sure? How is that fair to the Habs when a team like the Flames are 7 spots ahead of them. Or the Leafs for example. If both the Habs and Leafs loose in the play in round, Leafs should not have the same probability to win the lottery as the Habs IMO.

I would assume the Phase 2 lottery would have odds assign to each team based on standings?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
You sure? How is that fair to the Habs when a team like the Flames are 7 spots ahead of them. Or the Leafs for example. If both the Habs and Leafs loose in the play in round, Leafs should not have the same probability to win the lottery as the Habs IMO.

I would assume the Phase 2 lottery would have odds assign to each team based on standings?

From the NHL media release:

In each Phase 2 draw, all participants will have the same odds.

NHL.com Media Site

Reactions: PhysicX

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
If the lottery is June 26th before we even play, how does this work for the Habs?

2020 NHL Draft Lottery

The NHL Draft Lottery will determine the order for the first 15 selections of the 2020 NHL Draft. The picks will be awarded to the seven teams that do not resume play and the eight teams that do not advance from the Qualifying Round (or the teams that acquired their first-round picks).

Phase 1
* Phase 1 of the Draft Lottery will be conducted prior to the Qualifying Round on Friday, June 26.
* Three draws: First Draw (first overall pick), Second Draw (second overall pick) and Third Draw (third overall pick).
* Clubs entered: The seven teams that do not return to play, ranked in inverse order of their points percentage at the time of the regular-season pause, and eight “place-holders” to represent the to-be-determined Qualifying Round teams that will not advance, thus maintaining previously-established odds.
TeamP%Odds
1. Detroit Red Wings.27518.5%
2. Ottawa Senators.43713.5%
3. Ottawa Senators*.43711.5%
4. Los Angeles Kings.4579.5%
5. Anaheim Ducks.4728.5%
6. New Jersey Devils.493**7.5%
7. Buffalo Sabres.493**6.5%
8. Team An/a6.0%
9. Team Bn/a5.0%
10. Team Cn/a3.5%
11. Team Dn/a3.0%
12. Team En/a2.5%
13. Team Fn/a2.0%
14. Team Gn/a1.5%
15. Team Hn/a1.0%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* Acquired in a trade with San Jose Sharks (.450 points percentage)
** Buffalo Sabres ranked higher than New Jersey Devils on the basis of higher regulation/OT win percentage (Buffalo, .406 ROW%; New Jersey, .348 ROW%)
First Draw
* If the winning team of the First Draw is from the #1-7 group, that team wins the right to the first overall pick in the 2020 NHL Draft.
* If the winning team of the First Draw is from the #8-15 group, the right to the first overall pick will be determined in Phase 2 of the Draft Lottery.
* After the First Draw, the winning team (from either the #1-7 group or the #8-15 group) will no longer be eligible for the Second or Third Draws. All number combinations originally assigned to this team will become “Re-Draw Combinations” for the Second and Third Draws. The remaining teams’ odds will increase on a proportionate basis for the Second Draw based on which team wins the First Draw.
Second Draw
* If the winning team of the Second Draw is from among the #1-7 group, that team wins the right to the second overall pick in the 2020 NHL Draft.
* If the winning team of the Second Draw is from the #8-15 group, the right to the second overall pick will be determined in Phase 2 of the Draft Lottery.
* After the Second Draw, the winning team (from either the #1-7 group or the #8-15 group) will no longer be eligible for the Third Draw. All number combinations originally assigned to this team will become “Re-Draw Combinations” for the Third Draw. The remaining teams’ odds will increase on a proportionate basis for the Third Draw based on which team wins the Second Draw.
Third Draw
* If the winning team of the Third Draw is from among the #1-7 group above, that team wins the right to the third overall pick in the 2020 NHL Draft.
* If the winning team of the Third Draw is from the #8-15 group, the right to the third overall pick will be determined in Phase 2 of the Draft Lottery.
If All Three Draws Are Won by Teams in #1-7 Group . . .
* The winning teams receive the respective top three selections in the 2020 NHL Draft. The remaining four teams in the #1-7 group not selected in the three draws are assigned NHL Draft positions 4 through 7 in inverse order of their points percentage at the time of the regular-season pause. The next eight Draft positions (8 through 15) will be assigned to the eight teams that do not advance from the Qualifying Round, in inverse order of their points percentage at the time of the regular-season pause. In these circumstances, Phase 2 of the Draft Lottery would not be necessary.
If Any of the Three Draws Are Won by Teams in the #8-15 Group
* The Draws for the corresponding selections will be conducted during Phase 2 among only the eight Qualifying Round teams that failed to advance.

Phase 2
* Phase 2 of the Draft Lottery, if necessary, will be conducted between the Qualifying Round and First Round.
* Phase 2 participants: the eight teams that do not advance from the Qualifying Round (or the teams that acquired their first-round picks).
* Following each Phase 2 draw, the winning team will be assigned the corresponding Top 3 selection and, if another Phase 2 draw is necessary, that team’s numbered lottery ball will be removed.
* When all Phase 1 and Phase 2 draws are completed and the Top 3 selections in the 2020 NHL Draft assigned, the remaining selections in the Top 15 will be assigned to the 12 teams that did not win a draw in inverse order of their points percentages at the time of the season’s pause.
* In each Phase 2 draw, all participants will have the same odds.

NHL.com Media Site

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
From the NHL media release:

In each Phase 2 draw, all participants will have the same odds.

NHL.com Media Site

I'm not a fan of this. Phase 2 draw should have odds assigned to each team based on standings. Habs organization and players might like that they are in the playoffs and the NHL probably will say we have gotten a huge favor but most of the die hard fan base wants the best pick possible.

If I had a choice between the Pens or 8th OA lottery spot. I pick the 8th OA lottery spot. Say what you want to say about Price and the Habs might upset, it's very low probability. Pens have one of their best teams in recent seasons and they will kill us on the PP

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If the lottery is June 26th before we even play, how does this work for the Habs?

On June 26th will be Phase 1 of the draft lottery. In the lottery will be the bottom 7 teams: Detroit, Ottawa, LA, Anaheim, New Jersey, and Buffalo. And then they will also have 8 unassigned slots (that represent the 8 losers of the Play-In Series). But because they won't know who will lose, they don't have teams assigned from 8th to 15th.

They will select who will pick 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall.

If Detroit, Ottawa, LA, Anaheim, New Jersey and Buffalo end up with the Top-3 picks, then the draft lottery ends there. The rest of the draft order will go by standings.

If any of the unassigned teams ends up with any of the Top-3 picks, they will need to go to Phase 2 of the draft lottery.

Phase 2 will be held between the Play-In Series and the 1st Round, when the 8 unassigned slots will be filled by the 8 teams that were eliminated in the 8 Play-In Series.

They will hold a draft lottery involving the 8 losers of the Play-In to see which team will have the Top-3 pick that was won by an unassigned team. All of the 8 Play-In losers will have the same odds to win that pick.

So basically it goes like this regarding the Habs:

Habs beat the Pens
They will pick between 16th and 31st overall.

Habs lose to Pens
- If draft lottery ends with Phase 1: they pick 8th overall.
- If draft lottery ends with Phase 2: their pick could be any of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th, 11th overall.

Reactions: BLONG7 and Lshap

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad