Playoffs, Draft and lotto format announced - Are you happy with the format for the habs, or no?

Are you happy with the draft, lotto + playoff format from a Habs perspective?

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Habs lose to Pens
- If draft lottery ends with Phase 1: they pick 8th overall.
- If draft lottery ends with Phase 2: their pick could be any of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th, 11th overall.

It's not fair for the Habs to have the same lottery odds as the Leafs if they both loose the play in round. I think this will be a something that has to be reviewed.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
It's not fair for the Habs to have the same lottery odds as the Leafs if they both loose the play in round. I think this will be a something that has to be reviewed.

It has been reviewed and this is what they came up with. Habs have the same draft lottery odds as any team playing in the qualifying round. Same as the Leafs, Hurricanes, Oilers, etc.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's set in stone. The reviewing and evaluating was done before they made this announcement.

Mixed feelings on this for sure. Loose or Win against the Pens compared to anywhere from 1st vs 15th if we loose. I guess we will know if a A-H team wins a lottery spot before the play in round even begins.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Mixed feelings on this for sure. Loose or Win against the Pens compared to anywhere from 1st vs 15th if we loose. I guess we will know if a A-H team wins a lottery spot before the play in round even begins.

If Montreal loses to Pens, and one of the unassigned teams has a chance to win picks 1-3, the latest the Habs will pick is 11th. In this case, they will either pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th or 11th.

If no unassigned team wins any Top-3 picks, and Habs lose to Pens, Habs will pick 8th.

If Habs beat Pens, then they pick 16th or later.

So basically, if Habs lose to Pens, they are still in a good spot of the draft. Only if they beat the Pens, they drop down. If they beat Pens and lose in the 1st round, then they will pick 16th.

Last edited:
Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There was a realistic possibility than either Buffalo or NJ would pass us in the standings (one had to win the 2 games in hands) so for me all this is bollocks.

This said MB has a 2nd chance to prove his "anything is possible with character i'm building the new Kings" theory right. He failed miserably the first time there will be no hiding behind injuries now so I can live with that.

Reactions: PhysicX

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
We get the playoffs. If we're good and can go on a run - great. We're in the playoffs - let's go.
If we suck (as you all seem to think we do) we'll lose, and our lotto odds remain mostly intact

Honestly - I think this is a fantastic outcome for us. I'm obviously not surprised at the reaction from you guys on HF though.
The Habs didn't earn a spot in the playoffs. What they earned was a ranking of 8th worst team in the league. We were inserted into this tournament as a marketing prop, not as a team that's good enough to be in the playoffs. We have no business being here, plus there's a chance we could lose our draft position thanks to this hastily stapled together mess of a tournament.

Yes, you're right that if we're as bad as the standings indicate, we won't get past Pittsburgh and most of our hand-wringing will be moot. Problem is this play-in round represents a hurdle we shouldn't have to jump over (or, more accurately, crash into). The Habs weren't even good enough for the famous "Anything can happen" battle cry of bubble teams. What the hell are we doing?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Habs didn't earn a spot in the playoffs. What they earned was a ranking of 8th worst team in the league. We were inserted into this tournament as a marketing prop, not as a team that's good enough to be in the playoffs. We have no business being here, plus there's a chance we could lose our draft position thanks to this hastily stapled together mess of a tournament.

Yes, you're right that if we're as bad as the standings indicate, we won't get past Pittsburgh and most of our hand-wringing will be moot. Problem is this play-in round represents a hurdle we shouldn't have to jump over (or, more accurately, crash into). The Habs weren't even good enough for the famous "Anything can happen" battle cry of bubble teams. What the hell are we doing?

This is what the NHL is doing to us... We don't really want to dance but we are being sucked into it and we are going with it. :laugh:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
20. So, what happens if one of the eight “play-in” losers wins one of the top three draft selections, and, unfortunately, we never get to the playoffs. Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin said during his conference call it is his understanding that the second-phase odds would be determined by regular-season points percentage. That helps the Canadiens.

From Friedman's 31 Thoughts. He talks about MB saying that if the second phase is required, the odds will go by points percentage. Which in that case, does favor the Habs.

Although the NHL did say all of the teams will have equal odds.

If I may take a stab at it, what MB was probably saying is that if they lose in the Play-In Series and don't have a chance of picking Top-3, then the draft order is by points percentage, which would give Montreal the next best pick available.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
On June 26th will be Phase 1 of the draft lottery. In the lottery will be the bottom 7 teams: Detroit, Ottawa, LA, Anaheim, New Jersey, and Buffalo. And then they will also have 8 unassigned slots (that represent the 8 losers of the Play-In Series). But because they won't know who will lose, they don't have teams assigned from 8th to 15th.

They will select who will pick 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall.

If Detroit, Ottawa, LA, Anaheim, New Jersey and Buffalo end up with the Top-3 picks, then the draft lottery ends there. The rest of the draft order will go by standings.

If any of the unassigned teams ends up with any of the Top-3 picks, they will need to go to Phase 2 of the draft lottery.

Phase 2 will be held between the Play-In Series and the 1st Round, when the 8 unassigned slots will be filled by the 8 teams that were eliminated in the 8 Play-In Series.

They will hold a draft lottery involving the 8 losers of the Play-In to see which team will have the Top-3 pick that was won by an unassigned team. All of the 8 Play-In losers will have the same odds to win that pick.

So basically it goes like this regarding the Habs:

Habs beat the Pens
They will pick between 16th and 31st overall.

Habs lose to Pens
- If draft lottery ends with Phase 1: they pick 8th overall.
- If draft lottery ends with Phase 2: their pick could be any of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th, 11th overall.
Thanks!!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
20. So, what happens if one of the eight “play-in” losers wins one of the top three draft selections, and, unfortunately, we never get to the playoffs. Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin said during his conference call it is his understanding that the second-phase odds would be determined by regular-season points percentage. That helps the Canadiens.

From Friedman's 31 Thoughts. He talks about MB saying that if the second phase is required, the odds will go by points percentage. Which in that case, does favor the Habs.

Although the NHL did say all of the teams will have equal odds.

If I may take a stab at it, what MB was probably saying is that if they lose in the Play-In Series and don't have a chance of picking Top-3, then the draft order is by points percentage, which would give Montreal the next best pick available.
I really hope that's the case but probably not. Having equal odds in the 2nd phase is really dumb.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
It could be better but I am fine with it. For the playoff bound teams that lose the play-ins - They had to give them some consolation for being screwed out of the playoffs.
And if we were not included in the play-ins then we would be waiting until December of January to see our team play again.
Losing (maybe) a few draft spaces to watch my team play and compete is worth it for me.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I hate the new lottery odds. Why do they feel the need to give a 12,5% odd to every team that loses its play-in? They should just be re-ranked after they are eliminated, based on their regular season standings, with the same odds they would get on a normal draft lottery. A team like Toronto could lose its play-in and get the same exact odd as the Habs for a top 3 draft pick.

I'm tempted to believe this "rule" has been designed to please the Leafs. They give them a candy in case they happen to lose their play-in. It makes no sense otherwise.

That said, I'll still enjoy watching the play-in games!

It's a compromise. Teams like the leafs and pens are risking what was almost a guaranteed entry into the playoffs and teams like the habs and hawks are given a chance to make it when they otherwise wouldn't. They all get the same 3 of 5 to get in, so they all get the same odds for the lottery.

Clearly, I'd perfer they weren't given this chance and have kept our 6% odds at Lafreniere.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I really hope that's the case but probably not. Having equal odds in the 2nd phase is really dumb.

My guess why they will make the odds equal is for the teams who were in a playoff spot but have to play to get in the playoffs.

Pittsburgh, Toronto, Carolina, Columbus, Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg & Nashville.

They may have raised the point that they were in a playoff spot and now are being forced to play another series just to get in.

The NHL maybe told them that should they lose and an unassigned team is in the Top-3, they will have equal odds to land that pick(s).

And the teams that were out of the playoffs (Habs, Hawks, Panthers, Rangers, Isles, Coyotes, Wild & Canucks) were probably told that they have a opportunity to make the playoffs.

So non-playoff teams, you get a chance to make the playoffs and maybe make a run. If you lose, you will end up picking where you were most likely going to pick anyways.

And for Play-In teams that were in the playoffs. You will either win and go in the playoffs where you were slated to participate initially. But if you lose, the blow will be softened by having the same chance to pick Top-3 as a non-playoff team.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
To me it narrows down to two options. Lafrenière or the Cup. Our chances at either are less than slim. So rather than crying about what could have been an 8th pick, and after the first three, they're more inclined to be bust material. I'll go for the cup. :thumbu:

It's a deep draft. Remember where Elias Peterson, Cale Makar, Jaromir Jagr, Seth Jones, Clayton Keller, Sergachev, MacAvoy, Matthew Tkachuk, Brady Tkachuk, Werenski, Rantanen, DeBrusk etc... were picked? Not top 3. It's important to get as high a draft position as possible. The higher the pick, the more talent available. After that, gotta hope our scouts know how to find it.

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I voted yes

I’m resigned to the fact picking 8th or 16th we will f*** it up based on our track record of horrendous development, hell I will double down and say we would even ruin Laff if we won the lottery

I’m also resigned to the fact that beating the Pens or getting swept will not change our management team’s direction - or lack there-of, regardless of what happens we are going into next season hoping Price can find MVP form and we sneak into the playoffs

So might as well watch a meaningful post season game as they’re few and far between

habmercy

Aug 19, 2017
This seems pretty straight forward. They play and participate to win the cup not get a good pick. They have a shot at beating Pens for sure. Maybe wwe should play for the draft win the cup pick first and dominate problem.

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Unless they beat the Pens and go all the way to win the cup I don't see beating the Pens to make the playoffs as really being a win. Their potential top 10 pick and any lottery chance they had would be gone and 16th would be the highest they could draft just because they won a meaningless play in or maybe one meaningless playoff round and then getting eliminated.

Getting a potential top 10 pick would be much better than winning a play in round and then likely losing in round 1 of the playoffs and drafting 16th or possibly even lower if they advance further but still end up losing without winning the cup.
don't disagree with anything you said , I’m just trying to drink the kool aid for once .

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
It's a compromise. Teams like the leafs and pens are risking what was almost a guaranteed entry into the playoffs and teams like the habs and hawks are given a chance to make it when they otherwise wouldn't. They all get the same 3 of 5 to get in, so they all get the same odds for the lottery.

Clearly, I'd perfer they weren't given this chance and have kept our 6% odds at Lafreniere.

I understand the compromise. But it's still a major flaw. The draft system is supposed to reward the worse teams by giving them better odds at the best prospects, not to give a team that is 7th in the overall standings (Pens) the same odds to get the #1 pick as a team that is 24th.

We could argue that the team that's 24th also get the same odds as the team that's 7th to win the cup, but we all know it's not true. Better teams have better odds at winning the cup.

Reactions: Oryxo

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes