Playoffs, Draft and lotto format announced - Are you happy with the format for the habs, or no?

Are you happy with the draft, lotto + playoff format from a Habs perspective?

• Total voters

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
The sarcasm is strong in this one

:sarcasm:

But seriously, I’d like to understand how anyone can say this is a good situation for us. I just don’t see it no matter how I look at it. Money talks but this season should’ve been canceled weeks ago. I’ll never consider the winner of that stupid summer league tournament a legit Stanley Cup champion. Completely worthless.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Gord Miller on his segment on TSN690 was asked if he thinks the NHL may end up keeping it a 24-team format and a Play-In Series will become permanent.

He mentioned that Ken Holland for years had proposed that they have a Play-In Series. It was always turned down obviously. But I'm betting other GM's and owners like the idea.

Miller also said that a lot of American teams would like the season to start a little later than October. He didn't specify why. Me guessing here, but maybe it's because them going up against the World Series isn't good for business.

He said that if the NHL does start later, but lowers the amount of games in the regular season, the Stanley Cup would be awarded at the same time as now. All it would do is start a little later.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Gord Miller on his segment on TSN690 was asked if he thinks the NHL may end up keeping it a 24-team format and a Play-In Series will become permanent.

He mentioned that Ken Holland for years had proposed that they have a Play-In Series. It was always turned down obviously. But I'm betting other GM's and owners like the idea.

Miller also said that a lot of American teams would like the season to start a little later than October. He didn't specify why. Me guessing here, but maybe it's because them going up against the World Series isn't good for business.

He said that if the NHL does start later, but lowers the amount of games in the regular season, the Stanley Cup would be awarded at the same time as now. All it would do is start a little later.

I thought Bettman mentioned yesterday this format was a one time thing and they like the normal 16 team format.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I don't mind if they reduce the games down to 72. The season is a bit long.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
This play-in thing is bs. I kinda understand it given the situation but I never wanna see mediocrity rewarded like this again in my favorite sport. There are already a lot of teams that make the playoffs in the NHL with 50%, it's enough, you have 82 games to make your case and that's it.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Not happy. Understand the logic of the play-in thing but I think it's absurd that Chicago and Montreal are so transparently just in because they're big markets.

Going to be really frustrating to win a mickey mouse best of 5 when everyone comes back ice cold after 4-6 months off and have the pick go from 8th to 16th.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not happy. Understand the logic of the play-in thing but I think it's absurd that Chicago and Montreal are so transparently just in because they're big markets.

Going to be really frustrating to win a mickey mouse best of 5 when everyone comes back ice cold after 4-6 months off and have the pick go from 8th to 16th.

It's not like Montreal is going in hot while the others come in cold.

I agree they have no business in it. And it would suck to lose the high pick and end up picking 16th or later.

But it's not like Montreal has some sort of advantage over Pittsburgh here.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
On the bright side, I'm sure the Pens will not want to be remembered as the team who lost to the 24th place no quit Habs who had no business being there. They're the superior team by far and with multiple key players back healthy in Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Guentzel it shouldn't even be close, Carey Price or not. It's not like they don't have a capable goalie too.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
On the bright side, I'm sure the Pens will not want to be remembered as the team who lost to the 24th place no quit Habs who had no business being there. They're the superior team by far and with multiple key players back healthy in Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Guentzel it shouldn't even be close, Carey Price or not. It's not like they don't have a capable goalie too.

Don't forget they have Zucker and Hornqvist, too.

While Habs do have a good enough team to pull an upset. It's not like the Pens are coming in with a bunch of scrubs. They are still the superior team.

Reactions: PKCowboysOwn

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The format is amazing. I mean what’s not to like? Let’s put our 8th overall pick and lottery odds at stake by playing some worthless games in this complete farce of a tournament to put the cherry on top of what should have been another bottom 10 season for us. I’m absolutely thrilled right now. Also, pulling an upset against Pittsburgh would cement another 5 years of Bergevin’s bullshit at the very least so again, couldn’t be happier!

I’m so proud of my no quit Habs competing for the Corona gimmick cup after the pathetic season they had. They deserve it.

You have to work within the constraints of the real world. And in the real world - the pandemic happened which is absolutely unprecedented. Unique circumstances called for some unique....end of season happenings. Based on all of the rumors we had been hearing, i think any of the below scenarios could have been plausible:

- whole season is cancelled and they expand lotto draft to every team (no one gets to play in playoffs after all), a bit like 2005. Our lotto odds go down anyways (prolly 3% or less)
- whole season is cancelled - and lotto is highly restricted, most you can go up is 4 slots (no shot at 1-3 for us - even if we win lotto all we move up to is 4, 5 or 6th).
- we are put into playoffs (24 teams) and as such excluded altogether from lotto odds.
- we are put into playoffs (24 teams) and are restricted to a max of +4 to our rank if we win lotto

I don't know how serious the first option was considered - but options 2, 3 and 4 were very heavily rumored from all insiders. I find that what they came up with is much, much better for us.

We get the playoffs. If we're good and can go on a run - great. We're in the playoffs - let's go.
If we suck (as you all seem to think we do) we'll lose, and our lotto odds remain mostly intact

Honestly - I think this is a fantastic outcome for us. I'm obviously not surprised at the reaction from you guys on HF though.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

I agree they have no business in it. And it would suck to lose the high pick and end up picking 16th or later.

An advantage, probably not, but the odds of them beating the Pens are much better now than back in March.
It's very common for bad teams to start the year on fire and hover at the top, and vice versa with good teams being at the bottom.
That's why it's a bit silly.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Whatever... it is what it is. I just can't care about this. We're in the "playoffs" so I hope we win some rounds. That would be nice to see. There's nothing we could've done here. We were supposed to miss the playoffs and now we didn't. Just try enjoy the games and move on.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

What about the age, if the Habs have a clearly younger team compared to the Pens that could be an advantage. Normally younger athletes can get into shape a bit easier than older athletes?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What about the age, if the Habs have a clearly younger team compared to the Pens that could be an advantage. Normally younger athletes can get into shape a bit easier than older athletes?

My hope is that since Pittsburgh knew they were being involved no matter what and the Habs didn't, that Pittsburgh has kept in better shape this entire time.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Imagine how hard Bettman and Daly would cringe if Laf ended up in Mtl. They need to do everything they can to ensure he goes to a team like Ottawa, Detroit or Buffalo. That way they can continuously rake in the mediocrity money from the Habs while spreading talent elsewhere in the league and "growing the game".

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I’m not sure why team have agreed. team like PIT having to play a team like MTL might cost them the cup if they get a injury to a guy like Crosby or on the off chance that MTL somehow wins... then you have team line BUF or NJ that if they get to play their games in hand they might over take the Mtl in the standing and now they don’t even get a shot... top 3 team should have gotten a bye and the 2 wild card and the next 2 teams should have had to win a round robins or mini série to get in there is clearly 4 teams that have no business being there and the top 2 teams will get a big advantage having to face team that had to play to get in...
I really liked our odds of being able to out tank BUF, NJ, CHI and ANA which would have gotten us closer to a top 5 pick, now that is gone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad