Player Discussion: Tyler Bertuzzi

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Bert should have kept punching his bum a** if he only got 2.
3J_8se.gif

Calvert got nothing good lord lol

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
They also have an ax to grind with an infamous relative of Tyler's.....
Todd paid the price & his actions were over the line...I'm sure he didn't intend to end a career. However Steve Moore & the Avs were cheap shotting Markus Naslund so badly in the game(s) prior to that match-up & had a history of doing so before those games. I watched both games & told my friend, that there's gonna be a bloodbath tonight, as the Canucks were rightly PO'd, sure enough, there was. Bert was never the same player after that, once his aggression left, so did his production & intimidation factor. Age factored in as well.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Yeah, if Bert's getting games, I think Calvert should, too. He won't, though. Reminds me of when Tkachuk on Calgary took that jab at one of our guys starting to walk down the locker room and got nothing after causing a whole crap storm to flare up. The NHL has a weird way of tacitly encouraging this crap by only penalizing the guys who get pushed over the edge by it. And it's not like getting purposefully smacked by a stick while sitting on the bench is a normal occurrence.
Tkachuk suckered a player in the bench area that was dismissed from the ice, Witter gets 10 games for stepping back on the ice briefly, Tkachuk gets a game.

giphy.gif

I still haven't got over how bad the discipline was.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Tkachuk suckered a player in the bench area that was dismissed from the ice, Witter gets 10 games for stepping back on the ice briefly, Tkachuk gets a game.

giphy.gif

I still have'n't got over how bad the discipline was.
I think part of why he only got a game is because it was sort of a melee at the bench where Bert's is just so blatant.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Kevin Weekes just disagreed with the suspension on the NHL Network during intermission of the TB / NJD game. Says it doesn't matter if it's at Silver Sticks in Plymouth, down at Sarnia, you willingly go into the opposing bench, shit is gonna happen. Says Calvert could have easily just dropped the handle of the stick and skated away. Interesting to hear from a former player.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Gotta love how the league misses the spear but only sees what Bertuzzi did. Calvert could have gotten 1 game. He was the instigator here.

Reactions: ealong59

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I still haven't got over how bad the discipline was.

Yeah, I was pretty worked up over that, too. It's just ridiculous to throw ten games at Witter while giving the guy who really instigated it all a slap on the wrist. While I'm not wishing an injury on some of these guys, some of them just have it coming at some point. You have to believe that guys like Tkachuk who pull that crap are going to turn into the boards one day and someone just isn't going to care enough to let up.

Kevin Weekes just disagreed with the suspension on the NHL Network during intermission of the TB / NJD game. Says it doesn't matter if it's at Silver Sticks in Plymouth, down at Sarnia, you willingly go into the opposing bench, **** is gonna happen. Says Calvert could have easily just dropped the handle of the stick and skated away. Interesting to hear from a former player.

It's the right take, imo. You see guys do this all of the time. At some point the stick is either tossed back on the ice and someone has to fetch it, or it's passed over the glass between benches. The mistake Bert made was not taking the guy's number and hunting him down on a later shift, but Calvert deviated from the norm far more than the Wings did when they grabbed his stick.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Avalanche fans disappointed me. Had my heart set on a meltdown among them after they ranted and raved all night and all morning. Two game ban comes down and...nothing. I expected a glorious train wreck. One person in particular was on roll, quoted a comment of mine out of context in at least 3 separate threads as an example of what scumbags we are and had the most blase reaction to the 2 games.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Avalanche fans disappointed me. Had my heart set on a meltdown among them after they ranted and raved all night and all morning. Two game ban comes down and...nothing. I expected a glorious train wreck. One person in particular was on roll, quoted a comment of mine out of context in at least 3 separate threads as an example of what scumbags we are and had the most blase reaction to the 2 games.
That was a great thread on the main boards! I checked it before I went to bed, a handful of Avs fans were furious. I pulled the thread up when I got to work today just to see if people were still going bananas over this, I was not let down. I check the thread after work, the same few dudes were going off still:laugh:

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
It's the right take, imo. You see guys do this all of the time. At some point the stick is either tossed back on the ice and someone has to fetch it, or it's passed over the glass between benches. The mistake Bert made was not taking the guy's number and hunting him down on a later shift, but Calvert deviated from the norm far more than the Wings did when they grabbed his stick.
Pushing, shoving, face washing would all be acceptable in a tussle like this. I don't think it is okay to drop a glove and punch a guy twice in the face who is already in a defenseless position, even if he put himself there and instigated. Bertuzzi earned his 2 games with that one.

The Witkowski situation seems pretty different from this one, but those suspensions were bizarre in their disparity.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
That was a great thread on the main boards! I checked it before I went to bed, a handful of Avs fans were furious. I pulled the thread up when I got to work today just to see if people were still going bananas over this, I was not let down. I check the thread after work, the same few dudes were going off still:laugh:

Avs fans are so hypocritical & apparently wear pink woven hats now? So easily triggered. I hope Witkowski, Big E & Abby each fight someone in their top 6F & top4D next game, like how they had Mantha & Bert in the box for taking on their scrubs.

Surprising their fans reactions, considering Foote used to punch/crosscheck all in one fluid motion multiple times/game, every game! He mastered this and rarely got called. Probably the dirtiest & most harmful/impactful move a player could make & not take a penalty...he was such a douchey dirtbag. I hope Callan Foote doesn't follow in his footsteps. HM to Max Domi & M.Tkachuk. Jake Debrusk doesn't seem to be the same type of player his father was. Who did I miss?

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

Tell ya what. We repped our board well :)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Tell ya what. We repped our board well :)

I had a lot of fun reading those threads last night too. How in denial can you be to try to claim there wasnt a spear there lol.

Honestly if Cole or Nemeth win one of their fights I dont think the fans would be so butt hurt. But instead their "great" team played the new "dead" wings and it was close the whole way on the second night of a back to back. The wings completely won the physical battle. Larkin laid out Rantanen, Zadorov ducked Abdelkader, Bertuzzi and Mantha clearly won their fights and Calvert got what was coming after that spear. There were a few more big hits in there as well. They won the game but were on the losing end of all the physical stuff which had their egos a little sore and all fired up in those threads. Havent seen a rough game like that since the early 2000s with the Aves and they couldnt handle being on the losing end of it

Reactions: Realgud

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I had a lot of fun reading those threads last night too. How in denial can you be to try to claim there wasnt a spear there lol.

Honestly if Cole or Nemeth win one of their fights I dont think the fans would be so butt hurt. But instead their "great" team played the new "dead" wings and it was close the whole way on the second night of a back to back. The wings completely won the physical battle. Larkin laid out Rantanen, Zadorov ducked Abdelkader, Bertuzzi and Mantha clearly won their fights and Calvert got what was coming after that spear. There were a few more big hits in there as well. They won the game but were on the losing end of all the physical stuff which had their egos a little sore and all fired up in those threads. Havent seen a rough game like that since the early 2000s with the Aves and they couldnt handle being on the losing end of it

Well, if we follow the logic of Avs fans, I guess we might have missed the multiple other rough games we had this season where Bert sucker punched multiple other players.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Pushing, shoving, face washing would all be acceptable in a tussle like this. I don't think it is okay to drop a glove and punch a guy twice in the face who is already in a defenseless position, even if he put himself there and instigated. Bertuzzi earned his 2 games with that one.

The Witkowski situation seems pretty different from this one, but those suspensions were bizarre in their disparity.

I think an attempted spear goes a bit beyond "instigating." I'm not arguing against Bert's suspension, but Calvert had it coming when he used his stick like that.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
You guys watched a different game than I did. We started the chippy shit. Mantha didn't get an instigator when he should have.. We started another fight after a clean hit. We went running around to hit people without thinking of playing hockey first. And then that idiocy at the bench...

For what? Didn't help us in the game. Bertuzzi isn't going to be available to help his team for the next two games. Stupid.

But I guess we can all feel better because we sure showed them, right?

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
You guys watched a different game than I did. We started the chippy ****. Mantha didn't get an instigator when he should have.. We started another fight after a clean hit. We went running around to hit people without thinking of playing hockey first. And then that idiocy at the bench...

For what? Didn't help us in the game. Bertuzzi isn't going to be available to help his team for the next two games. Stupid.

But I guess we can all feel better because we sure showed them, right?

What they did on the bench was really stupid, I totally agree, but I guess you missed the two hits on Larkin and Athanasiou that happened before?

wingsnut19

Apr 9, 2007
I think an attempted spear goes a bit beyond "instigating." I'm not arguing against Bert's suspension, but Calvert had it coming when he used his stick like that.
I'm not sure I agree. It feels like upping the ante a bit too much. If he had kept the glove on I'd be more inclined to call it a proportionate response, but the bare fist just puts it across the line. But I do agree that Calvert should have gotten a call as well and probably fined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad