Player Discussion: Tyler Bertuzzi

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kevin Weekes just disagreed with the suspension on the NHL Network during intermission of the TB / NJD game. Says it doesn't matter if it's at Silver Sticks in Plymouth, down at Sarnia, you willingly go into the opposing bench, **** is gonna happen. Says Calvert could have easily just dropped the handle of the stick and skated away. Interesting to hear from a former player.

My initial take. He is ten feet from a new stick or change, which is actually what happens the majority of time this happens. I am amazed at how often that is being overlooked here. In the amount of time he fought for his stick he could have had a new one a second or two early. Which is why a majority of guys immediately abandon their stick in the opposing bench.

I would appeal this and actually argue the spearing grounds. The Wings won't, but I would in a heartbeat.

Bertuzzi's un-gloved punch is the only difference here in terms of this versus several other instances of this one not even a week ago where nobody was in trouble.

Bert's going to have to be careful with his name, I had wondered but to me it carried over here. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
This suspension was worth it. For too long this team was getting pushed around and cheapshotted. I'm glad the Red Wings are finally punching back. The games against Boston and Colorado were some of the best from a physical standpoint I've seen in awhile.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Kevin Weekes just disagreed with the suspension on the NHL Network during intermission of the TB / NJD game. Says it doesn't matter if it's at Silver Sticks in Plymouth, down at Sarnia, you willingly go into the opposing bench, **** is gonna happen. Says Calvert could have easily just dropped the handle of the stick and skated away. Interesting to hear from a former player.
I get the impulse to try and get the stick back, but you pull and only pull. If you spear someone, as I think is pretty clear he did or tried to do, you're gonna get punched. Bertuzzi was very clearly reacting to that because that is immediately when he goes into punching mode.

And of course if you grab someone's stick you expect them to try and yank it not so gently from your hands. But as other people have said, that's a play that happens often in the NHL. It's a little funny and a little weird, but this is honestly the first time I've seen another player try to spear someone as a result. Not disappointed in Bert for fighting back. Only slightly disappointed that the NHL didn't also punish Calvert with a game.

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
You guys watched a different game than I did. We started the chippy ****. Mantha didn't get an instigator when he should have.. We started another fight after a clean hit. We went running around to hit people without thinking of playing hockey first. And then that idiocy at the bench...

For what? Didn't help us in the game. Bertuzzi isn't going to be available to help his team for the next two games. Stupid.

But I guess we can all feel better because we sure showed them, right?

lol this guy. Fantastic game, Bertuzzi maybe shouldn't have punched the guy twice with his glove off (at least once for sure)... but it sure was awesome. Don't mess with the Red Wings mother f'ers! (we "showed them" for sure) Haven't had balls like this on the team since our last cup (McCarty, Downey). Two games, well worth it.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Larkin had to go to the quiet room, so clearly it wasn't a clean hit. Besides, who cares? If someone targets your best player you beat his ass. That's how it's supposed to be done.

Agreed. Clean hit or not anyone taking a run at one of your best players should be discouraged from doing so again.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Larkin had to go to the quiet room, so clearly it wasn't a clean hit. Besides, who cares? If someone targets your best player you beat his ass. That's how it's supposed to be done.

Players can and still do get hurt and concussed from clean hits. Concussions are many times not the result of head contact, as from my understanding of them, they are as a result of your brain being moved violently.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

And Coles hit on Athanasiou wasnt exactly low. In the replays it did end up being clean but was definitely borderline and his elbow was pretty high. It didnt catch AA but it wasnt far off. The wings definitely didnt initiate the rough stuff tonight, it was pretty mutual. The wings definitely finished more than their fair share though which is awesome to watch as a fan

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Players can and still do get hurt and concussed from clean hits. Concussions are many times not the result of head contact, as from my understanding of them, they are as a result of your brain being moved violently.
Yes, but the concussion spotter is looking specifically for hits to the head and/or a player showing signs of sustaining a concussion (i.e. holding his head).

oMs4Zmm.gif

This was not a clean body check.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Yes, but the concussion spotter is looking specifically for hits to the head and/or a player showing signs of sustaining a concussion (i.e. holding his head).

oMs4Zmm.gif

That one's tough for me.

In slow-mo it looks like a brutal and dirty hit. At game speed though you can see Larkin stopping and reversing to try and avoid the hit while still swinging for the lose puck. Had he continued forward in his original line he would've gotten rocked by Nemeth but likely cleanly to the body.

I obviously don't fault Larkin for trying to avoid getting crushed but I also can't really fault Nemeth there. He keeps his elbow pretty well tucked especially considering he's going in awkwardly to the boards and even braces himself with his left hand. He's trying to finish his check while Larkin puts himself in a vulnerable position by still trying to play the puck.

Reactions: wingerdinger

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
That one's tough for me.

In slow-mo it looks like a brutal and dirty hit. At game speed though you can see Larkin stopping and reversing to try and avoid the hit while still swinging for the lose puck. Had he continued forward in his original line he would've gotten rocked by Nemeth but likely cleanly to the body.

I obviously don't fault Larkin for trying to avoid getting crushed but I also can't really fault Nemeth there. He keeps his elbow pretty well tucked especially considering he's going in awkwardly to the boards and even braces himself with his left hand. He's trying to finish his check while Larkin puts himself in a vulnerable position by still trying to play the puck.
Yeah I hate blaming the victim but youre right, if players learned how to take a hit they wouldnt put themselves in such dangerous positions.

Also why Cole's hit on AA was much worse bc he went head hunting, on a player that had no time to protect himself. And Cole even stuck his elbow out to ensure contact.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

oMs4Zmm.gif

Thanks for posting the hit, as I didn't watch this game, and I agree this wasn't a clean hit. From the discussion above I thought it was a clean hit, but this wasn't and teammates defending him was definitely warranted.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
My initial take. He is ten feet from a new stick or change, which is actually what happens the majority of time this happens. I am amazed at how often that is being overlooked here. In the amount of time he fought for his stick he could have had a new one a second or two early. Which is why a majority of guys immediately abandon their stick in the opposing bench.

I would appeal this and actually argue the spearing grounds. The Wings won't, but I would in a heartbeat.

Bertuzzi's un-gloved punch is the only difference here in terms of this versus several other instances of this one not even a week ago where nobody was in trouble.

Bert's going to have to be careful with his name, I had wondered but to me it carried over here. Just my opinion.
Gonna have to disagree with this take.

If you're gonna be pushing the angle that Calvert was so close to a new stick, you kinda have to look at why he would even need to in the first place. Calvert gets checked by Green and goes to the boards, and no fewer than 3 separate Red Wings grab his stick to obstruct him from getting back to the play. That was what set off this whole situation to begin with.

If anything, that should be a bench penalty on the Wings. It's annoying as hell when other teams do it, so it's not right when the Wings do it either. And if a bench minor isn't enough of a deterrent, make it a bench major and teams can go on the PK for 5 mins and risk several goals against to discourage the behaviour.

If you're not on the ice, leave the players who are, and their equipment, the **** alone.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011

If you're gonna be pushing the angle that Calvert was so close to a new stick, you kinda have to look at why he would even need to in the first place. Calvert gets checked by Green and goes to the boards, and no fewer than 3 separate Red Wings grab his stick to obstruct him from getting back to the play. That was what set off this whole situation to begin with.

If anything, that should be a bench penalty on the Wings. It's annoying as hell when other teams do it, so it's not right when the Wings do it either. And if a bench minor isn't enough of a deterrent, make it a bench major and teams can go on the PK for 5 mins and risk several goals against to discourage the behaviour.

If you're not on the ice, leave the players who are, and their equipment, the **** alone.

Of course it should have been bench penalty on the Wings, but holding a guy up in the bench area is common and often not called. It was done simply because it is annoying as hell and agitating the opposing player can get them off their game and get something going. Nothing wrong with that in my book. They gambled on holding the stick, and unfortunately got stuck with the consequences when Calvert escalated it. It is actually refreshing to me to see them dislike losing enough to get angry and mix it up a bit. Screw the other team and their equipment.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018

that's never how the game been played, benches have always messed with oppo players. Their is a line that tyler crossed, but it's all fun and games the majority of the time.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
This suspension was worth it. For too long this team was getting pushed around and cheapshotted.
One cheap shot doesn't justify another.

There were some great clean hits in these games. I don't mind a fight when necessary. But, a cheap shot like Bertuzzi threw will result in more scrutiny and calls against in the future. That is reality in the NHL.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
And now Mantha injured after his fight. Lots of great decisions made.
And someone can have their face taken off by blocking a shot tonight. Or their ankle shattered into five pieces. You play the game. Hockey isn't a soy sport, injuries happen.

However, I would be telling Mantha he can't fight anymore since his hands are made out of glass.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
And someone can have their face taken off by blocking a shot tonight. Or their ankle shattered into five pieces. You play the game. Hockey isn't a soy sport, injuries happen.

However, I would be telling Mantha he can't fight anymore since his hands are made out of glass.

It's not a legume? It's not a staple crop of farmers across the world?

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Larkin had his head where it shouldn't have been, looked like a clean hit to me - but I have no qualms with Mantha pounding on the guy for a hit to Dylan's head. No one messes with the D-Boss.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3