Player Discussion: Tyler Bertuzzi

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
His last time he was hurt was a shoulder, and I think it was for a few days longer stay in the tropics over the all star break with his lady as he was posting on IG the whole time.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Doesn't seem to have hurt his IQ. Second to Larkin imo, and they're close.

Disagree that they’re ‘that’ close, and I’d still have Mantha ahead, but he’s in the top three.

He’s one of those rare breeds that combine work ethic, tenacity and smart hockey IQ.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
He is at his best being the 3rd guy on a scoring line. His contribution is much more than just his point production alone. He's the ultimate forechecker, the ultimate cycler, has great hockey sense and vision. Amazing hand eye coordination when tipping pucks. Should be good for 40pts a season minimum, could see 50, 60 on good years, that may be a bit optimistic though. Who knows, he's blown away everyone's expectations so far.

If he goes in on the forecheck and the defender doesnt pass it away immediately, bertuzzi will come up with the puck like 75% of the time. If you pass it to him in the cycle, he's pretty much guaranteed to hold on to it and find an open player. Realgud player. Realgud flow. Babcock's wet dream. I hope we keep him here for a long time.

He also leads our team in +/- by a good amount.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Disagree that they’re ‘that’ close, and I’d still have Mantha ahead, but he’s in the top three.

He’s one of those rare breeds that combine work ethic, tenacity and smart hockey IQ.

Not sure what makes you think Mantha has solid hockey IQ. If anything, I think Mantha’s lack of it is holding him back big time. His decisions haven’t come back to bite him much but the number of times he opts for the wrong play in the neutral and offensive zones in particular is staggering. He’s such a slow learner too.

Bert is basically the opposite to me. Miles ahead of Mantha in that regard. The more he plays, the more his vision and decision-making are apparent. And he’s picking up the game at lightning speed. It’s pretty amazing, really.

I think Bert is gonna be our Marchand-lite. Not quite as talented but also not as much of a punk.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Bert does have excellent hockey IQ, but it is his drive that separates him from Mantha more than anything. Watching him out-work Minnesota for his third goal last month was a perfect example. Mantha will never have that.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I will forever respect whoever told the wings to draft bert in the 2nd round when everyone thought it was a massive reach. This massive reach is now giving wings fans massive boners.
*Realgud Plr

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
This kid is way better than anyone outside of Detroit realizes

He's already basically a 50 point player on a shitty team, what a great draft pick.

He's like the ultimate "3rd best player on a top 6 line" kind of guy on a good team. I wonder where he would be at statistically if he didn't spend the 1st half of the season playing with grinders and was instead playing with Larkin instead of Abdelkader/Helm.

His 4 most common linemates this year are:
Larkin/Nyquist (16%)
Larkin/Mantha (13%)
Glendening/Rasmussen (11%)
Glendening/Abdelkader (10%)

Last edited:
Reactions: mantha39

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If Blash ever separates Bert and Larkin for no good reason for any significant length of time that is when I will call for him to be fired. They're money together. Bert is the piano puller Abby wishes he could be.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
If Blash ever separates Bert and Larkin for no good reason for any significant length of time that is when I will call for him to be fired. They're money together. Bert is the piano puller Abby wishes he could be.

Yeah, Bert is a Holmstrom type top 6er, moreso than an Abdelkader top 6er.

Reactions: Lil Bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad