Player Discussion: Tyler Bertuzzi

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
Albin Grewe, our #66 pick seems to play a real similar style of hockey. Bull Dog with good vision and hockey sense. I would love to have another Bert

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
His cousin (Todd Bertuzzi's son) Tag Bertuzzi wasn't drafted at all.

Maybe sign him as a free agent?

I remember Tag was ranked as 2nd rounder half year ago.

Tag Bertuzzi at eliteprospects.com

Is he just bad?
Can't sign him as a free agent until he is over 20 during draft year. So he's got 2 more drafts to be passed over before he becomes a UFA in the eyes of the NHL.

It also appears he only played 1 OHL game since December 28 when he was traded from Guelph to Hamilton.

TheSpec.com said:
In Guelph, "I wasn't able to get a primetime opportunity or play with people who complimented me well," he said. "As a young guy in his draft year, I think I deserve more."
It's not the first time, even this season, that Bertuzzi has talked about starting over. In September, he told Guelph Today he was looking forward to a second chance to prove to everyone he is a different player than the one that managed three goals and 11 points in an injury-riddled rookie campaign.

Bertuzzi debuts with Bulldogs

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Can't sign him as a free agent until he is over 20 during draft year. So he's got 2 more drafts to be passed over before he becomes a UFA in the eyes of the NHL.

It also appears he only played 1 OHL game since December 28 when he was traded from Guelph to Hamilton.

Bertuzzi debuts with Bulldogs
Pretty sure you can sign him up to a certain date or he re enters the draft.

Reactions: waltdetroit

Mlotek

Feb 28, 2017
South of US Border
HockeyFuture said:
Who is eligible?
The primary focus is upon players who have reached the age of 18 as of September 15th in the draft year. That means players born on or before September 15th, 1996 are eligible for the 2014 draft.
Generally, a player who is between the age of 18 and 20 years and six months (there are other restrictions) is eligible for the entry draft.

So do all players who want to get to the NHL have to be drafted?
No. Any player who went unclaimed in the NHL Draft can sign an entry-level deal with an NHL club. Likewise for any North American players who are older than 20 on December 31st of the draft year.

https://www.hockeysfuture.com/draft_faq_1/

Is my understanding of this correct, Tag Bertuzzi will not be a free agent until after the 2021 draft.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Tag is a forward that has 20 points and is -29 for his career in the OHL. Coming off a serious injury.

Why are we talking about signing him?

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Tag is a forward that has 20 points and is -29 for his career in the OHL. Coming off a serious injury.

Why are we talking about signing him?

To be fair, Tyler Bertuzzi wasn't too much better in the OHL before he was drafted:

39 points in 104 OHL games = 0.375 ppg (Tyler)
20 points in 70 OHL games = 0.285 ppg (Tag)

Not that I know anything about Tag, he probably sucks, but just saying.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Homer was a terrific stick handler. And he wasn't slower than, say, Robitaille.

Homer was an excellent stickhandler and had a highly underrated wrist shot. His skating was only average and he played most of the time with our best players (Yzerman, Dats, Z) so he seemed slow and unskilled in comparison. I think Homer could've been a second liner on most teams in the league.

Reactions: Sentinel

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Homer was an excellent stickhandler and had a highly underrated wrist shot. His skating was only average and he played most of the time with our best players (Yzerman, Dats, Z) so he seemed slow and unskilled in comparison. I think Homer could've been a second liner on most teams in the league.
I remember watching Holmstrom fall many times on a breakway. He was a terrible stick handler, the entire time he ever had the puck, I just imagined a loud voice in his head going "AHHHHHHH, WHATTT DOOO IIII DOOOOOO!!!!!!"

Love the guy though, ZDH4lyfe

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
yep, that's typically what happens when a player's development defies reasonable expectations

Becoming a top 6 player when youre a second rounder is not defying reasonable expectations. What the first couple pages are is a bunch of fans who never watched a guy play make judgements that dont look good because they were too dumb to watch him play before they lost their minds about the pick.

It was the exact same thing with Larkin but people dont learn their lessons apparently. They would rather listen to a couple quotes in the media than form an actual opinion on a player

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I remember watching Holmstrom fall many times on a breakway. He was a terrible stick handler, the entire time he ever had the puck, I just imagined a loud voice in his head going "AHHHHHHH, WHATTT DOOO IIII DOOOOOO!!!!!!"

Love the guy though, ZDH4lyfe
Did you only watch him after he was 35 years old?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad