Player Discussion: Tyler Bertuzzi

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Gonna have to disagree with this take.

If you're gonna be pushing the angle that Calvert was so close to a new stick, you kinda have to look at why he would even need to in the first place. Calvert gets checked by Green and goes to the boards, and no fewer than 3 separate Red Wings grab his stick to obstruct him from getting back to the play. That was what set off this whole situation to begin with.

If anything, that should be a bench penalty on the Wings. It's annoying as hell when other teams do it, so it's not right when the Wings do it either. And if a bench minor isn't enough of a deterrent, make it a bench major and teams can go on the PK for 5 mins and risk several goals against to discourage the behaviour.

If you're not on the ice, leave the players who are, and their equipment, the **** alone.

If you're on the ice don't spear people off the ice. Just don't spear people it is always illegal.

That was absolutely two minutes for interference on Rasmussen. Calvert goes back into the bench. If you cannot touch players on the ice, you cannot do a five and a gate penalty to guys sitting on the bench.

The league has now mandated taking a glove off during these, which is something I have seen several times in my life is a thing. Okay I understand that, I will repeat my mantra whenever the league makes **** up on the fly, I would like them to put in their rulebook before we agree to play the games during the season as has always been the agreed to custom sans Avery vs Brodeur which strangely enough the only time I can think of that kind of change in season.... But in any event Bert got what Bert got. The next instance of this I expect the same two games.

That the league still doesn't take spearing more seriously really does bother me. It cost us a cup in 09 in my opinion. It is crap I want out of the game. Still serious, Ericsson should rearrange Calvert's face in Colorado. People can be upset about that, but spearing isn't something I am okay with or slew-footing. If you did it to one of my teammates in beer league I would earhole sucker you and keep going until somebody pulled me off you before you knew I had even witnessed it... Though I will say be careful there, I know guys that have been charged for going too far in beer league. But still, it is something almost no team ever puts up with, it is one of those things that engages anybody that plays a lot of hockey. Spearing is never okay and before somebody qualifies it, even the action of attempting to drive your stick into opposition without connecting is spearing and if you have ever seen the after result of one that had landed, you would likely know why all these guys throw down in an instant over it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Winger98

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I had a chance to see the replay of the altercation during the game tonight. I'm not sure there was ever a spear. It looks like the stick goes past Bert's left side.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I had a chance to see the replay of the altercation during the game tonight. I'm not sure there was ever a spear. It looks like the stick goes past Bert's left side.

Spearing doesn't have anything to do with connecting for the record. That isn't the rule in the rulebook.

62.1Spearing - Spearing shall mean stabbing an opponent with the point of the stick blade whether contact is made or not.
62.2Double-minor Penalty - A double minor penalty will be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who spears an opponent and does not make contact.
62.3Major Penalty - A major penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who spears an opponent 62.5).
62.4Match Penalty - A match penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who injures an opponent as a result of a spear.
62.5Game Misconduct Penalty - Whenever a major penalty is assessed for spearing, a game misconduct penalty must also be imposed.
62.6Fines and Suspensions - There are no specified fines or suspensions for kicking any opponent, however, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hockeycentral | NHL | NHL Rule 62

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If you're on the ice don't spear people off the ice. Just don't spear people it is always illegal.

That was absolutely two minutes for interference on Rasmussen. Calvert goes back into the bench. If you cannot touch players on the ice, you cannot do a five and a gate penalty to guys sitting on the bench.

The league has now mandated taking a glove off during these, which is something I have seen several times in my life is a thing. Okay I understand that, I will repeat my mantra whenever the league makes **** up on the fly, I would like them to put in their rulebook before we agree to play the games during the season as has always been the agreed to custom sans Avery vs Brodeur which strangely enough the only time I can think of that kind of change in season.... But in any event Bert got what Bert got. The next instance of this I expect the same two games.

That the league still doesn't take spearing more seriously really does bother me. It cost us a cup in 09 in my opinion. It is crap I want out of the game. Still serious, Ericsson should rearrange Calvert's face in Colorado. People can be upset about that, but spearing isn't something I am okay with or slew-footing. If you did it to one of my teammates in beer league I would earhole sucker you and keep going until somebody pulled me off you before you knew I had even witnessed it... Though I will say be careful there, I know guys that have been charged for going too far in beer league. But still, it is something almost no team ever puts up with, it is one of those things that engages anybody that plays a lot of hockey. Spearing is never okay and before somebody qualifies it, even the action of attempting to drive your stick into opposition without connecting is spearing and if you have ever seen the after result of one that had landed, you would likely know why all these guys throw down in an instant over it.

Sure, no argument there, using the stick as a weapon has no place.

But I wasn't talking about the spear at all, rather what happened prior that lead to both the spear and the punch. Players on the bench shouldn't interact with players on the ice, period. Just like you get a penalty for sending an extra man out on the ice, you should get a penalty when players on the bench are interfering with a player on the ice's ability to play.

Both spearing and what I'm talking about are things the league should be working towards getting out of the game.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There was definitely a spearing attempt by Calvert which was stupid, but Bert's sucker punch was idiotic and worse. We would have loathed that move if done to us, and I personally can't stand these kind of punk moves, whether our team or not. Completely unnecessary and adds absolutely nothing to the game at all.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sure, no argument there, using the stick as a weapon has no place.

But I wasn't talking about the spear at all, rather what happened prior that lead to both the spear and the punch. Players on the bench shouldn't interact with players on the ice, period. Just like you get a penalty for sending an extra man out on the ice, you should get a penalty when players on the bench are interfering with a player on the ice's ability to play.

Both spearing and what I'm talking about are things the league should be working towards getting out of the game.

Calvert should maybe take better control of his stick then. He got rubbed out by Green, and then just sort of raked it across the Wings' bench. He does that to someone on the ice and it's a high stick call because he's supposed to control his stick at all times. And, no, I don't think Calvert being that careless with his stick was a total accident. But if you're going to put your stick in the bench, you should probably expect to lose it.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Calvert should maybe take better control of his stick then. He got rubbed out by Green, and then just sort of raked it across the Wings' bench. He does that to someone on the ice and it's a high stick call because he's supposed to control his stick at all times. And, no, I don't think Calvert being that careless with his stick was a total accident. But if you're going to put your stick in the bench, you should probably expect to lose it.
Maybe, but that's just conjecture though. You can't say he did that on purpose when getting hit right on front of the bench at NHL speed. You just can't.

You can say for sure that 3 players grabbed his stick and held onto it on purpose. Can only go by what we know.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Maybe, but that's just conjecture though. You can't say he did that on purpose when getting hit right on front of the bench at NHL speed. You just can't.

You can say for sure that 3 players grabbed his stick and held onto it on purpose. Can only go by what we know.

It's not really conjecture to say the guy is responsible for his stick and that he smacked guys on the bench with it. Yeah, that thing is going to get grabbed then.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
As I have stated, the whole sequence is basically an escalation of asshole behavior, with Bertuzzi topping it all in the punch.

Reactions: TheOtherOne

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Shock of all shocks to people on the main forum but in the end the whole incident was exactly what it looked like. Wings players held Calvert's stick, he tried to get it free then tried to spear Bertuzzi. Several Wings players reacted to that and then Bert suckerpunched him.

“The reason I reacted was more or less because I felt I got speared,” Bertuzzi said. “It wasn’t just to react to nothing.”

Dylan Larkin said the NHL warned him about grabbing an opponent’s stick while on the bench.
“They called it a push of his stick, but I know what he was doing, trying to spear Bert,” Larkin said. “I reacted and grabbed him, and I don’t think Bert would be suspended if I didn’t do that. Part of it’s on me, but I just reacted to what I saw, and I didn’t like what I saw. It’s unfortunate that Bert’s out. I wish we were on the ice to settle it.

Red Wings’ Tyler Bertuzzi regrets ‘stupid’ decision that resulted in suspension

Larkin apparently got warned but was he even grabbing the stick? I thought it was Ras initially and then Bertuzzi.

And since it's being debated I don't fault Calvert for having his stick go into the bench as he's getting hit by Green. It happens. I do fault him for attempting to shish kabob Bertuzzi though.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
It's not really conjecture to say the guy is responsible for his stick and that he smacked guys on the bench with it. Yeah, that thing is going to get grabbed then.
Well sure he's responsible for his stick, but when you get hit you can lose control. Doesn't mean he intended to do it. It's conjecture to imply that he did. Stray pucks go flying into the benches all the time, there are risks to being on the bench. Sometimes a player gets checked and dumped right over the boards. He's responsible for his body, but you can't say that's his fault. Calvert got checked by Green at full speed right in front of the boards and as he was spun around his stick went into the bench area. Whether he embellished it or not is only known to him.

Hockey is a fast, physical and dynamic sport, things happen. Players on the bench consciously interfering with a player on the ice is unambiguously intentional. In this instance, it was the Wings players who started the intentional bull****. Calvert responded with intentional bull**** of his own, and Bertuzzi capped it off with the intentional bull**** that got him suspended. But the fact remains, it was the Wings players on the bench that set off this whole situation.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I've read through a ton of posts on this and the VAST majority of people fall into 2 groups.

Group 1: yup dumb move, suspension is deserved.

Group 2: those people saying he didn't do anything wrong are being so stupid!

It's just bizarre and I can't figure it out. I think I went through like 200 posts without seeing a single one arguing against punishment.

Edit: group 1 can be further divided.
Group 1a: evil bertuzzi ambushed that poor helpless innocent guy for no reason!
Group 1b: mitigating circumstances i.e. spear, but still dumb by bertuzzi.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well sure he's responsible for his stick, but when you get hit you can lose control. Doesn't mean he intended to do it. It's conjecture to imply that he did. Stray pucks go flying into the benches all the time, there are risks to being on the bench. Sometimes a player gets checked and dumped right over the boards. He's responsible for his body, but you can't say that's his fault. Calvert got checked by Green at full speed right in front of the boards and as he was spun around his stick went into the bench area. Whether he embellished it or not is only known to him.

Hockey is a fast, physical and dynamic sport, things happen. Players on the bench consciously interfering with a player on the ice is unambiguously intentional. In this instance, it was the Wings players who started the intentional bull****. Calvert responded with intentional bull**** of his own, and Bertuzzi capped it off with the intentional bull**** that got him suspended. But the fact remains, it was the Wings players on the bench that set off this whole situation.

Theres no rule about raising the puck at a player, there is a rule about high sticking. Even if it was unintentional its 2 mins for high sticking which balances out the hold. Neither of those are a big deal, this time it just got escalated

Reactions: Nut Upstrom
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I've read through a ton of posts on this and the VAST majority of people fall into 2 groups.

Group 1: yup dumb move, suspension is deserved.

Group 2: those people saying he didn't do anything wrong are being so stupid!

It's just bizarre and I can't figure it out. I think I went through like 200 posts without seeing a single one arguing against punishment.

Edit: group 1 can be further divided.
Group 1a: evil bertuzzi ambushed that poor helpless innocent guy for no reason!
Group 1b: mitigating circumstances i.e. spear, but still dumb by bertuzzi.

Some kind of warped echo chamber. Crazy stuff.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Theres no rule about raising the puck at a player, there is a rule about high sticking. Even if it was unintentional its 2 mins for high sticking which balances out the hold. Neither of those are a big deal, this time it just got escalated
I don't think that applies for players who are sitting down on the bench.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
There was definitely a spearing attempt by Calvert which was stupid, but Bert's sucker punch was idiotic and worse. We would have loathed that move if done to us, and I personally can't stand these kind of punk moves, whether our team or not. Completely unnecessary and adds absolutely nothing to the game at all.

To me it looked like he was jerking his stick every which way to try to pry it free, I didn't think he was intentionally trying to spear anybody, but that's just my opinion. Who knows what his intent was?
I agree strongly with your second point. That was cheap and dirty what Bert did and we'd be outraged if it had been done to one of our players.

I like how Bert plays and love how he agitates, he just went too far this time and I agree with his assessment: It was stupid.

Reactions: Oddbob

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Shock of all shocks to people on the main forum but in the end the whole incident was exactly what it looked like. Wings players held Calvert's stick, he tried to get it free then tried to spear Bertuzzi. Several Wings players reacted to that and then Bert suckerpunched him.

Red Wings’ Tyler Bertuzzi regrets ‘stupid’ decision that resulted in suspension

Larkin apparently got warned but was he even grabbing the stick? I thought it was Ras initially and then Bertuzzi.

And since it's being debated I don't fault Calvert for having his stick go into the bench as he's getting hit by Green. It happens. I do fault him for attempting to shish kabob Bertuzzi though.

Thanks for posting that, I hadn't read anyone saying that a spear was thrown. Still a stupid thing for Bert to do, but it's excusable to some extent. Guess the refs missed the spear.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I still think that Bert should be pair with AA. It should be
?-Larkin-Mantha
AA-?-Bert
?-Gleny-Svech
Ehn-Rose-Aby

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I have great concern that Bertuzzi will last in this league. The hit in Edmonton was not that hard, but resulted in another concussion. He plays a very physical game, and I am not sure how many concussions he can (or should) sustain.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I am officially claim to be his #1 fan.

FIGHT ME.

Updated prospect rankings:

1. Tyler Bertuzzi
2. Andrea Athanasiou

3. Anthony Mantha

And no one else is even close to being an NHL player right now so it doesn't really matter

-I <3 Tyler Bertuzzi

Bertuzzi scores 50+ points. And more importantly, established himself as a future elite level/core piece player that we can happily build around.

No specific numbers, but everyone will be very happy having with Michael Rasmussen at season's end.

And I dug up my post from the 2016 thread.

And on another note, I think the most comparable player on the team right now to Bertuzzi is Zetterberg (Let him finish). I think his biggest assets so far are his hockey IQ to find space and make plays, and the ability to protect the puck. Aside from that he is well rounded though not great at anything else but good enough to make him all-around dangerous

He's quickly becoming one of my favorite players. Always just seems to know where to be. He'll hit those open nets 99/100, so I appreciate that he is in the right spot to get the opportunities

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I have great concern that Bertuzzi will last in this league. The hit in Edmonton was not that hard, but resulted in another concussion. He plays a very physical game, and I am not sure how many concussions he can (or should) sustain.

he doesnt play a physical game at all. He agitates sure, but he doesnt go around throwing hits.

also I am his biggest fan, not you people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: mantha39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->