Player Discussion: Martin Jones

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm somewhat doubtful that we have a worse defensive system than last year's NY Islanders and Halak put > .900 numbers there.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I remember when we moved on from Niemi to Jones and I had thought, "boy...its nice to finally have a goaltender that I trust on breakaways"

boy have times changed. I don't think the players are confident in him at all. Seems they've lost confidence all around.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
I remember when we moved on from Niemi to Jones and I had thought, "boy...its nice to finally have a goaltender that I trust on breakaways"

boy have times changed. I don't think the players are confident in him at all. Seems they've lost confidence all around.

If that's the case, stop giving the opponent so many damn breakaways.

Not defending Jones, but a lot of players need to look in the mirror.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
This is supposedly one of the best defensive teams according to shark fans. If this is the case why do they continue to allow multiple odd man rushes and breakaways every single game?

Yes every team allows them but this team is ultra bad for it.

Counter-point: they don't really give up that many odd-man rushes compared to other teams...it's just each one of those ends up in the back of their net because the goaltending is horrendous. It'd make the goalies' jobs easier if they allowed fewer for sure, but it also sure would be nice if they got some f***ing saves on some of them like other contending teams get from their goalies.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Counter-point: they don't really give up that many odd-man rushes compared to other teams...it's just each one of those ends up in the back of their net because the goaltending is horrendous. It'd make the goalies' jobs easier if they allowed fewer for sure, but it also sure would be nice if they got some f***ing saves on some of them like other contending teams get from their goalies.

I'm not so sure about that, and unfortunately this stat is too subjective to get a real read on the situation without watching every single game for every single team.

I will ask you this though: how many times this season have the Sharks had more odd man rushes, particularly 2v1 and breakaways, than their opponents do? from my memory it's south of 20 games

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I was in the process of familiarizing myself with Tableau for other reasons and I decided to look into some hockey stats.

Here is my work.

These numbers are over the course of the past two seasons. This season and last season. We are way in the bottom right; bad goaltending, difficult shots. This is a team defense and goaltending issue that has been present for two seasons now. It is not one another. They are not mutually exclusive. They are both a problem.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I was in the process of familiarizing myself with Tableau for other reasons and I decided to look into some hockey stats.

Here is my work.

These numbers are over the course of the past two seasons. This season and last season. We are way in the bottom right; bad goaltending, difficult shots. This is a team defense and goaltending issue that has been present for two seasons now. It is not one another. They are not mutually exclusive. They are both a problem.

This is what my eyes show me when i watch.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!

I agree on the first part.
On the second part that's not what the coach said in the recent interview.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
Martin Jones had a great playoff run in 2016 nearly leading us to a game 7 of the Cup Finals. I’ll always be grateful for that. However, him coming in like a wrecking ball on this 2019 team is something I may not be able to forgive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Martin Jones had a great playoff run in 2016 nearly leading us to a game 7 of the Cup Finals. I’ll always be grateful for that. However, him coming in like a wrecking ball on this 2019 team is something I may not be able to forgive.

With how horrible he's been this season, I was really hoping SJ would do what the Hawks did with Huet in 2010 when he was awful and still had a bloated contract and bench Jones. I'm hoping that Burns/Couture/etc. recovering from the flu and getting Pavelski/EK65 back will jumpstart the offense, but having Jones back there is an epic disaster.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
With how horrible he's been this season, I was really hoping SJ would do what the Hawks did with Huet in 2010 when he was awful and still had a bloated contract and bench Jones. I'm hoping that Burns/Couture/etc. recovering from the flu and getting Pavelski/EK65 back will jumpstart the offense, but having Jones back there is an epic disaster.

They don’t need offense, they need structured team defense. Pavelski/EK65 aren’t going to fix that.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
They don’t need offense, they need structured team defense. Pavelski/EK65 aren’t going to fix that.

Tough to say what fixes what. At this point, it’s clear we need Pavelski back next season. Him at a 3-4 year deal is much more important than any bloated EK65 contract.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's not that tough. This team has been having problems playing defense all year. Better players always help but this is infecting the entire lineup now.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

No, they need a goaltender that can stop a f***ing puck at least 90% of the time. The only Defenseman not doing his job well at the moment is Braun. Everyone else is doing a good enough job.

The Sharks are the 2nd best team (tied for 1st!) in the league in shots against per game. That's the only stat I need to know when it comes to whether or not the Defense is doing their job right.

Last edited:

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

Maybe w/ Pavelski, but not sure about EK65. When he was rolling in addition to Burns, it seemed like the defense was pretty solid. Even if him being back decreases Braun's minutes, that in itself should help with the team defense.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Maybe w/ Pavelski, but not sure about EK65. When he was rolling in addition to Burns, it seemed like the defense was pretty solid. Even if him being back decreases Braun's minutes, that in itself should help with the team defense.

They were still greatly struggling with team defense with Karlsson in the lineup for the first 27 games and they’ve still put up some strong defensive efforts without him. He’s probably the most crucial player to the team’s success at this point but the issues they’re currently dealing with aren’t going to be solved by any one player.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
They were still greatly struggling with team defense with Karlsson in the lineup for the first 27 games and they’ve still put up some strong defensive efforts without him. He’s probably the most crucial player to the team’s success at this point but the issues they’re currently dealing with aren’t going to be solved by any one player.

Fair enough, what would you say needs to happen for those issues to be fixed?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Lol, 31 Thoughts pod just mentioned that PDB is getting impatient with Jones. Least insightful thing ever mentioned on that great pod. Who isn't impatient with Jones? Everyone was like weeks ago!

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Lol, 31 Thoughts pod just mentioned that PDB is getting impatient with Jones. Least insightful thing ever mentioned on that great pod. Who isn't impatient with Jones? Everyone was like weeks ago!
i mean thats awesome but its march.....

MardocAgain

Apr 10, 2012
Not giving Jones a pass for his goaltending, but 2 things I noticed:
1. We are definitely allowing 1-2 breakaways/odd man rushes per 10 shots which is certainly more than we’re generating
2. We are garbage at clearing the front of the net. I’ve seen so many times we are hemmed in the defensive zone with 1-2 attackers in Jones eyes and no Shark even comes in to try to punish them for it.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
No, they need a goaltender that can stop a ****ing puck at least 90% of the time. The only Defenseman not doing his job well at the moment is Braun. Everyone else is doing a good enough job.

The Sharks are the 2nd best team (tied for 1st!) in the league in shots against per game. That's the only stat I need to know when it comes to whether or not the Defense is doing their job right.

I get what you are saying but I'd rather give up 30 shots per game with 20+ of them coming from the perimeter then give up 15 where the D are chasing around.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
No, they need a goaltender that can stop a ****ing puck at least 90% of the time. The only Defenseman not doing his job well at the moment is Braun. Everyone else is doing a good enough job.

I'd disagree with the bolded. I remember one of Simek's first games with the big club, Hedican made a big deal about how well Simek "stays on his side of the ice," and controls his own space so that his partner/forward help can sort more effectively. I've noticed that basically the bottom half of our d-corps has been hot garbage at that over the last few weeks. Braun, Ryan, Heed, and to a lesser extent Vlasic have all been on the ice for ugly shifts where they're on the wrong side of the ice, covering the same man as their partner, or missing an assignment that leads to a goal.

Some of that is because of PDB's pair-juggling -- hard to know where your partner will be if it's suddenly a guy you never play with. Some of it is that the wingers' support on the boards has been notably awful lately. But the end result is the same: everybody's *not* doing a good enough job, and Jones looks worse than he's been playing as a result.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think Jones's injuries last year may have ended his career if he doesn't improve. His lateral mobility is at an all time low for him and there's an athletic minimum that an NHL goalie should have and Jones is below that minimum in at least that regard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad